Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:10 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,623,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjorik View Post
I had a security clearance interview today (Currently I am in DEP program). I made a mistake (I was hungry and therefore quickly reading questions and didn't pay much attention to them) when originally I put answer "No" to the question "Have you ever voted?" in recruiters office, but today I said the truth to the OPM Federal Agent that once in my life I actually voted. Is it gonna be a problem?
I never intended to lie to the Government. In recruiter's office when I was originally filling out paperwork I was tired and bored by all these question and didn't take them seriously and therefore, made some tiny mistakes. The Federal Agent said that it should be no problem. What do you think?

P.S. I never been arrested, used drugs or something like that. I never had any problem with the law enforcements.
Wouldn't sweat it.... Tell your recruiter and if it comes up admit to the mistake, it's not a huge issue.... Also you are most likely not going to need a TS in your rate, so that will be the end of it.

Honesty on the SF-86 form is the biggest thing, I knew a career army guy who did a change to crypto from Infantry who had a rap sheet a mile long of misdemeanors as a teenager/young adult. He was even a moonie for about a half a year, he admitted it all up front on the form, the interviewer couldn't believe he was allowed in the Army to begin with as he spent about 4 years in and out of teenage jails/work camps. The interviewer passed him as he said there were two things that impressed him

1.) He admitted everything upfront and didn't try to hide them.
2.) He had a perfect record in the Army for over 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 02:08 PM

37 posts, read 338,093 times
If I didn't mention 1 temporary address (lived there 1 month and forgot about that) is it ok? Should I call to OPM agent?

Old 09-08-2013, 11:20 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,425,175 times
Always come clean when applying for any government job, military included. When I got a TSC, information from a stupid juvenile crime was found, one I even forgot about, fishing without a license, federal criminal at age 15!

So, don't hide anything, even expunged records are found. Just acknowledge it, write a short, brief explanation.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:40 PM

37 posts, read 338,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Always come clean when applying for any government job, military included. When I got a TSC, information from a stupid juvenile crime was found, one I even forgot about, fishing without a license, federal criminal at age 15!

So, don't hide anything, even expunged records are found. Just acknowledge it, write a short, brief explanation.
I didn't hide anything, in fact I have never been arrested. I just forgot about this temporary address, but I already told it to the government.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:13 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,013,644 times
If the police arrested you and finger printed you, it probably went into the NCIC database which tracks all arrests. Since you weren’t found not guilty, it’ll show up that you received PBJ. I had a few friends who ran into this problem. The only person who I knew that skirted the issue was a guy who got arrested by base MP’s for trespassing. The military police don’t fingerprint and put it into the database (at least back then). Besides, when you do the background check, it’ll ask if you’ve ever been arrested. I just did one a few months back for a federal job.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:36 PM

30,705 posts, read 18,355,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trundle View Post
As hard up as the military is for quality people, I'd say that you are shoo-in for OCS, but I recommend that you tell them up front, so that you can relax.
I don't think anyone is a shoo-in for OCS, especially not in this economy (and this is more so for 2013 then it is for today). And this is even more so for someone with a record who was dishonest about things the first go around (that is if they military keeps recruitment records for that amount of time). I was the only one of 8-9 people from my recruiting district selected for Navy OCS and, from what my recruiter tells me, things have been tough all around.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,990 times
I want to join the air force but I have some reservations. When I was 17 and a senior in high school someone had given me a fake 20$ bill and told me to use it at my school to buy lunch.. I was incredibly stupid and I did it and got caught. I was not arrested but I did have to go to court and plea guilty for pety theft and I had 6 months probation and 60 hours community service. It is off my record and all my background checks I've ever had for jobs have been clear. I am 22 years old now and have never even gotten a traffic ticket since. I have been to college off and on and have had very good jobs. I am very nervous to get my hopes up about the air force when this is lingering over my head. I do not want to lie about my record but does anyone think that this thing that I did will still be acceptable for the Air Force?

Old 04-27-2015, 06:39 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,351,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Thank you

It was as straight up Guilty plea directly to the judge. I spoke to an AMEDD recruiter and he told me that it would require a waiver, but that since I wasn't ready to apply, he couldn't really tell me how the climate would be next year.
By the way, the Air Force has a near 100% selection rate for HPSP, even with waivers. We had to add TWO boards this year because we couldn't make goal. You need a 25 MCAT and a 3.2 undergrad. Please consider AF!

Old 04-27-2015, 06:40 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,351,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't think anyone is a shoo-in for OCS, especially not in this economy (and this is more so for 2013 then it is for today). And this is even more so for someone with a record who was dishonest about things the first go around (that is if they military keeps recruitment records for that amount of time). I was the only one of 8-9 people from my recruiting district selected for Navy OCS and, from what my recruiter tells me, things have been tough all around.
Regular OCS/OTS is incredibly selective and competitive, HPSP not so much.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:10 PM

12,113 posts, read 23,351,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trundle View Post
As hard up as the military is for quality people, I'd say that you are shoo-in for OCS, but I recommend that you tell them up front, so that you can relax.
The military is not hard up for quality people at all -- especially officer candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues