Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,782 times

Advertisements

AF veteran, AF wife, and college professor. First, the "truth" about AF life as discussed here is relative because TRUTH based on personal views. It's the military, which can be an awaking for some and they are likely the ones who need it most.

Second, to attack AF "recruiting" and recruiters because it's a sales jobs is silly. ALL recruiting is the act of highlighting the best features to attract potential employees, students, etc. I "recruit" for my department and school and YES, my goal is to attract qualified students to attend our program. I "sell" my program, why wouldn't I it's a great product and so is the AF. However, it is ultimately the individuals' decision and if they don't do any more research on the topic than listening to a recruiter...well whose fault is that.

Lastly, I think it is important for military recruiters to insure recruits understand they are becoming Airman not air traffic controllers, computer techs, etc. When my recruiter told me and I was listening. I think today, more young men and women tend be self involved and have feelings of entitlement. Which is not in-line with the military view and needs. These individuals are likely the ones who feel they have been lied to.

Overall, I don't think AF recruiters are intentionally lying to "sucker" people in. The AF wants people who will be productive. Lying just increases costs and creates an unprepared military force because they don't have the right people or people who are not committed. I would like to do the research on the success of those who feel lied to both in and out the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 12:14 PM

24,302 posts, read 13,147,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCPRO View Post
AF veteran, AF wife, and college professor. First, the "truth" about AF life as discussed here is relative because TRUTH based on personal views. It's the military, which can be an awaking for some and they are likely the ones who need it most.

Second, to attack AF "recruiting" and recruiters because it's a sales jobs is silly. ALL recruiting is the act of highlighting the best features to attract potential employees, students, etc. I "recruit" for my department and school and YES, my goal is to attract qualified students to attend our program. I "sell" my program, why wouldn't I it's a great product and so is the AF. However, it is ultimately the individuals' decision and if they don't do any more research on the topic than listening to a recruiter...well whose fault is that.

Lastly, I think it is important for military recruiters to insure recruits understand they are becoming Airman not air traffic controllers, computer techs, etc. When my recruiter told me and I was listening. I think today, more young men and women tend be self involved and have feelings of entitlement. Which is not in-line with the military view and needs. These individuals are likely the ones who feel they have been lied to.

Overall, I don't think AF recruiters are intentionally lying to "sucker" people in. The AF wants people who will be productive. Lying just increases costs and creates an unprepared military force because they don't have the right people or people who are not committed. I would like to do the research on the success of those who feel lied to both in and out the military.

You bring up an excellent point. "Airmen first" is not sold enough. I now work adjacent to an Army post, and many military personnel identify themselves less as soldiers than by their MOS (AFSC for Air Force folks). My experience has been that only the Marines identify themselves as Marines first, and then by what they do.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:36 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCPRO View Post
First, comparing recruiting for a college or university to military recruiting is foolish.

Having been a military recruiter for 15+ years I can tell you that what the service wants and what the recruiter wants are almost always different.

The recruiter wants to make goal for the month and get the pressure off. The service wants the best quality applicant out there. The recruiter has too much pressure to wait around until they have the best quality applicant and will jump on the first one they can fit into the ever changing qualification matrix.

Again, "the cost" and what it "creates" is a concern of the service and not the recruiter as the recruiter just wants to get the pressure off for the month.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:32 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,636,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
As I remember my drill sergeants telling us, recruiters can't lie, they bend the truth. Unless you have friends and family with military experience who can tell you the real deal, it's very likely even if the recruiter answered your question truthfully, your lack of experience will make you misconstrue the answer. Military life is just so different from civilian life that unless you've experienced it, you're unlikely to know exactly what you're getting into.
Growing up an Army Brat and having siblings and friends who had enlisted in the various branches of the military definitely helped me when I enlisted. My recruiter was very straightforward with me, too.

Some guys who arrived at Navy Boot Camp with me had no idea what expect. They were absolutely clueless. A friend of mine was married to a Marine Corps Drill Instructor, and his stories were unbelievable. One guy actually showed up at MCRD San Diego with his golf clubs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbH_RrOAAfA

Old 05-18-2015, 02:26 PM

24,302 posts, read 13,147,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
...Some guys who arrived at Navy Boot Camp with me had no idea what expect. They were absolutely clueless. A friend of mine was married to a Marine Corps Drill Instructor, and his stories were unbelievable. One guy actually showed up at MCRD San Diego with his golf clubs!
Yeah, I knew a guy who reported in to Field Training by walking in to the FTO's office, nodding at the FTO, then saying, "Hey, howz it goin?" and looking around cluelessly. Not a good way to start. He was... oh, wait, that was me. DOH!

Old 09-20-2015, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,413 times
I Meet with my Air Force recruiter on the 29th. I am very interested in medical field (specifically pharmacy) however, when I spoke to him over the phone - he told me there are no medical job openings. How is that possible? Should I believe him or not? I really want to join the Air Force for the career and educational opportunities. Also if I really cannot get a medical job, what other jobs would you suggest I look into? I'm a woman and not into combat jobs, mechanical, or other manly type jobs lol. My other option is Navy...

Old 09-20-2015, 08:27 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielledncl View Post
I Meet with my Air Force recruiter on the 29th. I am very interested in medical field (specifically pharmacy) however, when I spoke to him over the phone - he told me there are no medical job openings. How is that possible? Should I believe him or not? I really want to join the Air Force for the career and educational opportunities. Also if I really cannot get a medical job, what other jobs would you suggest I look into? I'm a woman and not into combat jobs, mechanical, or other manly type jobs lol. My other option is Navy...
It is possible and true...almost every female wants a medical job or other non "manly type" job. That fills those jobs up quickly and leaves the "manly" jobs open and in need of bodies.

You'll likely find the same thing in the Navy. Not impossible to get a medical job as a female but often times they are not available.

You'd be best to pick the service you want to join and then take the best job that is available to you and make the best of it.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:56 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,332,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielledncl View Post
I have been a recruiter for 8 years and never given out a pharmacy job. You basically have to go in "open general" for that. Everyone wants medical and we get VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY few jobs. Many of our medical staff are civilians, most all the rest come from the AFRAP program (juniors in high school who sign up early for the incentive of getting the job they want) or from the "open general" contracts.

If you wanted to be a pharmacist, go to pharmacy school. If you want to be an Airman, join the Air Force.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:02 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
At the very least you dont get to check the vet box when applying for a fed job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
How is it a kid late teens or early twenties can't run a 1.5 miles in the allotted time? Back many moons ago before I went to AF boot camp I did some running and pushups. I would think today when a issue comes up an the recruits have access to home I would think someone would have a come to Jesus conversation with them.

Hey it's just four years. Suck it up and then make a decision. Not a good thing to be let go by the military. That follows for life somewhere in some data base.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:04 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
How do you go to pharmacy school AND check the vet box when you are going for a fed job as a pharmasist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I have been a recruiter for 8 years and never given out a pharmacy job. You basically have to go in "open general" for that. Everyone wants medical and we get VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY few jobs. Many of our medical staff are civilians, most all the rest come from the AFRAP program (juniors in high school who sign up early for the incentive of getting the job they want) or from the "open general" contracts.

If you wanted to be a pharmacist, go to pharmacy school. If you want to be an Airman, join the Air Force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues