Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 08:03 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
(3rd paragraph)

I highly doubt anyone involved in checking out security clearances would use such poor English......"so me and my boss decided "
I think the letter is from her daughter and she is/was paraphrasing what they told her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 08:31 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,999,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50states View Post
I worked with a Vietnam vet who joined the US Navy to avoid combat but ended up in the USMC and saw a ton of combat.

He said at one point ( maybe boot camp - heard the story 25 years ago ) everyone was lined up in the middle of the night. They brought in a lot of security and some officer went walking down the rows of men calling out ' One, two, three, four - Marine Corp ' and the fourth man was now in the Marines.

My old friend said they practically had a riot on their hands - no one wanted to end up in the Marine Corp and see combat.
The guys I know who got drafted into the Navy or Marines got selected at their final home state induction center before they even departed for boot camp.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:56 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,138,411 times
In 1975, I signed up with the AF. I got high scores in General and Administrative, not great in Electronics or Mechanical. I wanted to get into medical which was the higher end of General. The recruiter said with my scores, I should get something on the high end. I was an honors student in HS and had a year and a half of junior college. I also had a choice of 4 locations of which the recruiter said with my choices, there should be no problem getting one.

The recruiter lied, of course. I was put in supply, one of the jobs for the lowest scoring people in the General field. I had chosen 4 of the locations closest to my family's home in MI and got orders to Alaska.

This was still better than the deal I would have gotten from the Army recruiter. And now, I am entitled to VA Healthcare which meets the requirement for ObamaCareNot.

Considering the other stories in Basic from the other women, I actually didn't come out that bad.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:59 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,191,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Even Popeye knew not to believe everything when being recruited. Nothing against recruiters but the world is as it is. I remember those Air Force now videos we used to have to watch during commanders call back in the day. They were all hype. It still comes down to the recruit. They accepted the job and as I said It's only four years.
Those videos were so corny and boring. I swear those videos gave me some form of ADHD.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:48 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post

Imagine this, her original job, a Signals Analyst, they produce reports using intelligence, and those reports are used for combat. The information produced by signals analysts determines where and who we kill, bomb, and destroy.

I know these examples seem far fetched, but they are the type of thing that gets considered before a clearance is given.

It sounds like the movies, but the type of information she would have had access to as a signals analyst is directly responsible for how we conduct warfare, covert operations, and how we keep American troops and civilians in Embassies and such, safe.
It isn't as far fetched as you might think.

You are describing exactly the type of job that I first had in the Army. I was initially assigned to the Pentagon and shortly afterwards to an operations group.

And yes, it required a high level security clearance.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:43 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
Wow things have changed since I went in the AF in 82. I scored enough which I don't know how I did it where I had a wide choice of jobs to pick. I was in a hurry to get in so as jobs opened up my recruiter called me.

After talking to my recruiter it was 5 -6 days and I was off to Lackland for boot camp with a guaranteed job. So today there's basically no guaranteed jobs? Yes back then if you flunked out of tech school you became a S.P. and yes a cook or kitchen help.

That being said today if going in I would hope to get a job where going to school would be an option.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:05 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,333,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Wow things have changed since I went in the AF in 82. I scored enough which I don't know how I did it where I had a wide choice of jobs to pick. I was in a hurry to get in so as jobs opened up my recruiter called me.

After talking to my recruiter it was 5 -6 days and I was off to Lackland for boot camp with a guaranteed job. So today there's basically no guaranteed jobs? Yes back then if you flunked out of tech school you became a S.P. and yes a cook or kitchen help.

That being said today if going in I would hope to get a job where going to school would be an option.
14% of our contracts for for security forces, 37% are "open" and the last 50%-ish are for the 150 jobs, so each job has about a 0.33% chance of being guaranteed.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,160 times
Default Question

What is known of Circle of influence when comes to getting your child into the job they want. I am an 0-5 and my son wants to join the Air Force and go right into radiology tech school. Am I able to use this circle of influence to help him get it.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:19 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,350,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmurd45482 View Post
What is known of Circle of influence when comes to getting your child into the job they want. I am an 0-5 and my son wants to join the Air Force and go right into radiology tech school. Am I able to use this circle of influence to help him get it.
That train of thought is discouraging. I was an active officer of a similar grade.

I'd recommend you look very carefully at what you are asking, and ask yourself honestly, 'would I think it fair or ethical if some other kid got what he wanted because his Dad/Mom was an O-6+?'. I'm not sure I'm comfortable that the fact you are an O-5 could or should be used to give him an advantage over other potential Airmen.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:48 PM

24,302 posts, read 13,147,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
That train of thought is discouraging. I was an active officer of a similar grade.

I'd recommend you look very carefully at what you are asking, and ask yourself honestly, 'would I think it fair or ethical if some other kid got what he wanted because his Dad/Mom was an O-6+?'. I'm not sure I'm comfortable that the fact you are an O-5 could or should be used to give him an advantage over other potential Airmen.
So totally agree (retired col here) and I have seen VERY detrimental effects when an advantage was granted to a cadet/officer candidate or after commissioning. A pilot I knew was not FAR (fighter-attack-recce) qualified in pilot training, dad (an O-6) pulled strings and magically his son was FAR. Couldn't get the F-15 or F-16 he wanted (post assignment drop) but was assigned to the OV-10; I was in his OV-10 class, and the kid was WORTHLESS (note emphasis). He went to Osan where he was voted "most likely to kill himself in an aircraft", before coming to my squadron where he continued to have NCOMF*.

Fortunately, if that's how one considers it, he was in a car crash that ended his flying career before his dad could help him in the follow-on assignment. There was, in his short career, a palpable distrust throughout the squadron of the kid, especially among his first-assignment lieutenant peers (I was already a captain on second assignment) because of the undue advantage he received and his abilities which were not compatible with his taskings. I wouldn't want a pilot who couldn't fly himself out of a wet paper bag leading a multi-ship tactical mission, or for that matter perform as an officer if he or she received advantages that unfairly placed the officer ahead of others. (I would sincerely hope, having been an FTU instructor, that we wouldn't let a kid graduate to an aircraft he couldn't handle, or for that matter that non-rated training and supervision would remove him from leadership roles.)

*No concept of manned flight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues