Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 06:33 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,326,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmurd45482 View Post
What is known of Circle of influence when comes to getting your child into the job they want. I am an 0-5 and my son wants to join the Air Force and go right into radiology tech school. Am I able to use this circle of influence to help him get it.
You might be able to help your kid work the system, cut the line, and grab a desirable job from other potential applicants, yes. In our squadron you must be an E-8 or O-4 and above to request this. Other squadron's may have stricter conditions. It's up to the commander of the squadron.

Our Group leadership limits our squadron to 2 COI bookings (The special treatment you are talking about). We put in about 1000 people a year, so 24 out of 1000 are going to get this special treatment. That being said, you will get trumped/bumped by an O-6's child, senator's child, or any recrutiers child (recruiter's family members trump all). So, it's possible, but it's not a sure thing depending on the competition.

Also, he still has to be open to 3-5 jobs (each squadron sets their limit), he can't be open to just one job. We send the request from the squadron to the group, and the group then prioritizes their requests and sends them to HQ Air Force Recruiting Service (AFRS). IF IF IF IF IF IF HQ AFRS has a radiology job, he'll get it. But, they may not have a radiology job. This field is filled almost entirely from "open general" contracts so the request is likely to be rejected as they just plain don't have contracts for the job, or the slots might be full for the year, etc. That's why we still make the person list 3-5 jobs.

No, he can't wait a year. If the job isn't available, he gets another job. If he's not willing to take another job, he should not join the Air Force. Being an Airman should be the priority over the job. You might be able to hook-him-up, but ensure he's willing to consider other options as this is still a long shot.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
That train of thought is discouraging. I was an active officer of a similar grade.

I'd recommend you look very carefully at what you are asking, and ask yourself honestly, 'would I think it fair or ethical if some other kid got what he wanted because his Dad/Mom was an O-6+?'. I'm not sure I'm comfortable that the fact you are an O-5 could or should be used to give him an advantage over other potential Airmen.
As a recruiting supervisor, this is something I deal with weekly. Everyone wants their kid to get some special treatment over all the other Americans trying to serve their county. Air Force recruiting does have the program he is talking about/asking about, but it's still a long shot for a job like radiology.

I'm not sure why we've decided to continue a nepotism reward program, but it is a courtesy we extend to direct family members of certain ranks as a thank you for their service.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:36 PM

11 posts, read 23,709 times
Thank you all for the information you provide, it really helps....

Question: What are the categorical job options for Active Duty? It's my understanding that you must choose a category rather than a specific job? Is there a good link you might have - I can find lists of jobs but no 'here is what your options will be' type of thing. I realize need changes but just trying to get a handle on what I might be looking at. Thanks again...

Old 11-18-2016, 04:18 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,346,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Air Force recruiting does have the program he is talking about/asking about, but it's still a long shot for a job like radiology.
I admire so much about the way the Air Force is structured. This is something I think you, as an institution, got completely dead wrong.

It would be repugnant to me to use my rank to help my son or daughter in the military, which is supposed to be a meritocracy.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:45 AM

Georgia, you would not believe how many people do that. "I was a retired E-6, I served 20 years, my son deserves....." and they get really upset about it if you don't play ball. I've had parents calling my commander when their kids didn't get what they wanted, and it's just pretty incredible.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidijoe View Post
Thank you all for the information you provide, it really helps....

Question: What are the categorical job options for Active Duty? It's my understanding that you must choose a category rather than a specific job? Is there a good link you might have - I can find lists of jobs but no 'here is what your options will be' type of thing. I realize need changes but just trying to get a handle on what I might be looking at. Thanks again...
The areas are Mechanical, Electrical, Administrative, and General. Here are the jobs broken down into the categories. Someone with a M (Mechanical contract) can't get an A job, for example.

However, some jobs are NEVER NEVER NEVER given away in these categories. For example, security forces is only guaranteed, never given to G contracts. Same with all Battlefield Airman/Spec Ops.

Also, we NEVER guarantee mechanics to work on a specific aircraft in a contract, those are only guarenteed upfront to those in M area contracts.

It gets a bit complicated.

Working directly with a recruiter is best, because these jobs also have various hearing, eyesight, color vision, driver license requirements, etc, so ASVAB scores don't give a complete picture of job qualifications. You can't be a firefighter if you can't deadlift 100lbs, for example, regardless of ASVAB score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues