Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 09:04 AM

643 posts, read 329,283 times

Advertisements

I always am interested in statistics about the military .

I was wondering if anyone has the statistic for each branch of what percent of enlisted men who enlisted in 2000, are still on active duty today.

I searched places on the internet, but could not find that info.

I was wondering if that info would sway a young man in his decision as to which branch to enlist if he was thinking of staying in.

(I'm not sexist by using " man" but I believe a higher percent of males who enlist stay in 20+ than women who enlist )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 09:25 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
From: https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...-compensation/

Quote:
Only 17 percent of service members remain in the force long enough to qualify for the military’s retirement program.
Your title: "what branch of military has the highest % of ENLISTED men serve 20" I would guess the US Army, they have the largest number personnel...

Old 07-18-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Your title: "what branch of military has the highest % of ENLISTED men serve 20" I would guess the US Army, they have the largest number personnel...
Sorry, I meant percent of enlisted men in their branch ..

My guess would be Air Force .

Old 07-18-2018, 01:04 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

That's probably because most people are pushed out by the asinine "up or out" policy.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:08 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
That's probably because most people are pushed out by the asinine "up or out" policy.
You are probably wrong...

Last edited by toosie; 07-28-2018 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: Please don’t accuse ppl of being trolls

Old 07-18-2018, 01:30 PM

The reason I asked is it seems many/most? young men enlisting envision themselves making a career out of it.

It would seem to be the branch of service that has the highest percent of its enlisted men serving 20+ would be the one that most likely would work out to fulfill his goal.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:47 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Hard to say. It may be a toss up between the Air Force and the USMC in terms of what percentage wants to, but the Army may win in what percentage actually does.

I do think the percentage of persons making 20 years is less than 17% of the Air Force.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:09 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
OP:
My guess would be Air Force as well.
BTW where did your screen name come from if you don't mind me asking?

Old 07-18-2018, 03:25 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
That only applies to officers O-5 and above. If they don't make O-6 after a certain amount of TIG (time in grade) they are placed into forced retirement. Of course if you are an O-5 you have probably served 18 years at a minimum, so by the time you are forced to retire you should be well passed 20. When I was in the Army the career track for officers was usually to make O-3 by about only 3-4 years in service, but then spend the next 10 years as an O-3 so that by the time they made Major they had a minimum of 13-14 years experience. Yes, at O6 people start becoming political animals, and to go beyond that and become a flag officer takes some political savvy.

With enlisted ranks, sure there were plenty of people at the E7 level hoping to make E8 and E8s hoping to finally make E9, but in many MOS' had to wait years for a vacancy. Enlisted personnel aren't forced to retire if they don't move up. Of course during the high turnover years that I served people were promoted very quickly. I was an E5 after only 2¾ years, and it was not uncommon to see guys make "7 after 7" (E7 right at 7 years of service which was the earliest someone could attain that rank, but because of which rule I do not know).

Old 07-18-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
That only applies to officers O-5 and above. If they don't make O-6 after a certain amount of TIG (time in grade) they are placed into forced retirement. Of course if you are an O-5 you have probably served 18 years at a minimum, so by the time you are forced to retire you should be well passed 20. When I was in the Army the career track for officers was usually to make O-3 by about only 3-4 years in service, but then spend the next 10 years as an O-3 so that by the time they made Major they had a minimum of 13-14 years experience. Yes, at O6 people start becoming political animals, and to go beyond that and become a flag officer takes some political savvy.

With enlisted ranks, sure there were plenty of people at the E7 level hoping to make E8 and E8s hoping to finally make E9, but in many MOS' had to wait years for a vacancy. Enlisted personnel aren't forced to retire if they don't move up. Of course during the high turnover years that I served people were promoted very quickly. I was an E5 after only 2¾ years, and it was not uncommon to see guys make "7 after 7" (E7 right at 7 years of service which was the earliest someone could attain that rank, but because of which rule I do not know).
Enlisted men are forced out if they don't advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues