Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 11:11 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
That didn't happen.

That's not how force employment works.
Do you not remember the OP tempo, how equipment was being worn out, how little "downtime" people were getting?

Corps also took over areas, pacified them, then switched areas of responsibility to areas the Army was having trouble with.
(Army had a much bigger area of responsibility)

I'm not trying to do some B.S. Interservice crap.
I'm Medically Retired from the Corps and not exactly a fan.

Just relating the history I lived through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 11:13 AM

5,719 posts, read 4,696,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Yea, me.

We went when the commandant was asked. I remember the briefing after the fact. That's why we had different tours than the Army, that was one of the conditions the Commandant set on our help.

And I was IN Faluja (how we spelled it when I was there and how I'll spell it till I die.) November 2004.
So, you sat in on the JCS briefing? Because people who actually did tell a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Do you not remember the OP tempo, how equipment was being worn out, how little "downtime" people were getting?

Corps also took over areas, pacified them, then switched areas of responsibility to areas the Army was having trouble with.
(Army had a much bigger area of responsibility)

I'm not trying to do some B.S. Interservice crap.
I'm Medically Retired from the Corps and not exactly a fan.

Just relating the history I lived through.
As to the subject of OPTEMPO, the Army was doing 12-16 month tours. Everybody from every service was getting rung out.

Even the Corps asked for help with Fallujah/Ramadi. Don't you remember 1st Bde, 1st ID being there with you.

Also, not trying to downgrade the Corps, but facts don't support what some are saying here.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:00 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
Hello,

Forgive my civilian ignorance, but I was wondering why it seems like the Marines/Seals operate so much in what seems like Army territory. From what I've read, the Marines were created to support Navy operations like ship boarding/security and beach landings. The Seals similarly.

But from watching the Iraq and Afghanistan wars as well as Vietnam it looks like the Marines mostly overlap with the Army. Is this just about sharing the available man-power while there's no major Naval operations? Were the Marines assigned to attack certain places in Iraq/etc instead of the Army for any particular reason?

Thanks for any info.
because they were/are needed, period.

Nobody demanded a place in the combat. If they were in combat, that means they were needed.

amphibious assault =/= they can only do it on a ship.

Read this article,

Why Fallujah Is One of the Marine Corps' Most Legendary Battles

https://www.realcleardefense.com/art...es_112639.html

Old 08-09-2019, 01:12 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
So, you sat in on the JCS briefing? Because people who actually did tell a different story.

As to the subject of OPTEMPO, the Army was doing 12-16 month tours. Everybody from every service was getting rung out.

Even the Corps asked for help with Fallujah/Ramadi. Don't you remember 1st Bde, 1st ID being there with you.

Also, not trying to downgrade the Corps, but facts don't support what some are saying here.
Try rereading what I ACTUALLY said.

Funny, what I remember and state aren't "facts" per you, but yours are!

Done here.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:17 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
And it's not just SEALs, either. My husband has been in the Navy 18 years, and has been in deserts exponentially more frequently than he's been on water.
Yup.. I have a friend who is a member of the C.B's which is part of the Naval Construction Force. He has more time on land than water.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:03 PM

There are a significant number of books written on the subject by people who were there at the nosebleed level. That’s what they said happened. I’m sorry facts are such a bother for you. Just curious as to what rank you were at the time and how high up you attended briefings. I was at the US Army Division level.

Do you also contest that 1st Brigade of the 1st Infantry Division wasn’t attached to the Corps in Ramada/Fallujah?

Old 08-09-2019, 02:07 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,618,080 times
"that is what they said happened."

In my opinion, what they said happened can be taken out of context and can be interpreted as different things by different people.

Bottom line, Marines are needed and they do a darn good job. They are not in anybody's territory. If they were in combat, they were needed, period.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Yup.. I have a friend who is a member of the C.B's which is part of the Naval Construction Force. He has more time on land than water.
I’ve met some C.B.s. They send them anywhere. Really surprised by that.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:05 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
So...was the question answered? lol

Old 08-09-2019, 04:22 PM

12,388 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So...was the question answered? lol
Which one the OP on why are Marines so far from the beach. Or the USMC boosters who suggest that the DoD looked at a battlefield situation and said the soldiers are failing send Marines.

As far as I know that only happened with the Marine Brigade on the Pusan Perimeter in Korea before they were pulled out for their specialty at Inchon. The Army 27th Infantry was also a requested fire brigade unit on that battlefield
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues