Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 04:52 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Do you not remember the OP tempo, how equipment was being worn out, how little "downtime" people were getting?

Corps also took over areas, pacified them, then switched areas of responsibility to areas the Army was having trouble with.
(Army had a much bigger area of responsibility)

I'm not trying to do some B.S. Interservice crap.
I'm Medically Retired from the Corps and not exactly a fan.

Just relating the history I lived through.
That's great. Doesn't change how forces are employed or the planning process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
So, you sat in on the JCS briefing? Because people who actually did tell a different story.

Also, not trying to downgrade the Corps, but facts don't support what some are saying here.
Exactly. It seems the people saying how things happened are not familiar with the process of how operations are planned and are basing their thoughts on some scuttlebutt they heard at the ground level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 06:21 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
Hello,

Forgive my civilian ignorance, but I was wondering why it seems like the Marines/Seals operate so much in what seems like Army territory. From what I've read, the Marines were created to support Navy operations like ship boarding/security and beach landings. The Seals similarly.

But from watching the Iraq and Afghanistan wars as well as Vietnam it looks like the Marines mostly overlap with the Army. Is this just about sharing the available man-power while there's no major Naval operations? Were the Marines assigned to attack certain places in Iraq/etc instead of the Army for any particular reason?

Thanks for any info.
There are people who say that the Marine Corps has turned into the second army, doing exactly the same job as the army in fighting a land war in Iraq, Afghanistan, and now Syria.

i am just a civilian lol, so I will just express my own opinion about this.

There’s a difference between necessary and useful.

There’s nothing the USMC does that couldn’t be done, or isn’t also being done, by the US Army, the US Navy, and the US Air Force. In that sense it isn’t necessary.

But, because they are a small service, they do their jobs so well, and, in that sense, they are immensely useful.

So, while not necessary in the strict sense, they definitely justify their existence.

Hopefully, this is not considered as a dig by some people, if one military branch can do everything, then why the infantry Marines have been deployed 4-6 times?why the Artillery Marines were deployed 4-6 times on average? Why were they needed? Why did my first true love die over there if they were not needed? (i certainly don't know which battle he participated, I just know he died. How about that?)

Perhaps a better question would be, “Why does the US have four or five separate services with overlapping capabilities and responsibilities?” "why do we have Navy SEALs who can do ALL Three :land air and sea:, then we need army rangers who can also do three? Please answer me this.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 08-09-2019 at 06:46 PM..

Old 08-09-2019, 07:28 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
I’ve seen some comment on number of tours and why some services ‘deploy more’.

The short answer is combat deployments are different lengths for different services. Marines *tend* to be 6 months. Army has been 12 for most of Iraq/Afghanistan, and has only recently gotten to 9-with many still ending up at 12 (especially individual augmentees).

Every service is ‘needed’ to fill up the capabilities required. I wasn’t in the tank during these particular decisions, but I find it pretty unlikely that the USMC was needed or allocated because of a failure on the Army’s part. That’s just not how these force allocations work.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:33 PM

"need" does not necessarily means "rescue". It certainly does not mean one branch is better than the other. It just means they work together as a team.

I assume they work together all the time. I heard these military men talking to each other using the words "Need" and "rescue" interchangeable all the time in VA hospital. Not sure why this is such a sensitive word all of a sudden.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:44 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
"need" does not necessarily means "rescue". It just means they work together as a team.

I assume they work together all the time. I heard these military men talking to each other using the words "Need" and "rescue" interchangable all the time in VA hospital. Not sure why this is such a sensitive word all of a sudden.
I recommend you actually read your own language, message #15: ‘The Marines had to return to get the area back under control.’ No matter how you try to spin it, that language means you are implying 2 things: first, the Army had lost control, and second, that they were incapable of regaining it themselves and only the Corps could do it. It’s good to be proud of a service, but let’s not go crazy over it.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I recommend you actually read your own language, message #15: ‘The Marines had to return to get the area back under control.’ No matter how you try to spin it, that language means you are implying 2 things: first, the Army had lost control, and second, that they were incapable of regaining it themselves and only the Corps could do it. It’s good to be proud of a service, but let’s not go crazy over it.
Oh, I implied things.

Well, that is not my intention. I have explained it already. <shrug> What I meant is that, Army left, so Marines had to come in and take control over the area. (which is something I remembered) Like I said, maybe you too should stop assuming the worst in others. I just meant to say, they were needed, that is all. NO more/less.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 08-09-2019 at 08:07 PM..

Old 08-09-2019, 10:17 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
The lines are all blurred now. The Air Force had some great Combat Truckers. Go figure.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:21 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
SEa.
Air.
Land.
And the eagle, globe, and anchor of the Marines.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:11 PM

245 posts, read 311,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
The lines are all blurred now. The Air Force had some great Combat Truckers. Go figure.

I guess this pretty much sums up the answers. It's a mix of all-hands-on-deck need created by the GWOT (does anyone still use this term?) and greater integration. I'm guessing better technology and faster transportation has allowed for better co-ordination than decades ago.

There seems to be some dispute though as to how different services get involved, which I think is interesting.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:19 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
I guess this pretty much sums up the answers. It's a mix of all-hands-on-deck need created by the GWOT (does anyone still use this term?) and greater integration. I'm guessing better technology and faster transportation has allowed for better co-ordination than decades ago.

There seems to be some dispute though as to how different services get involved, which I think is interesting.
I know personally that there were quite a few "seals" used in the Mekong delta while I was there in 71-72. I met one after I got out who said they were used a lot to blow up sampans tied up along the river banks at night...………...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues