Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:22 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,259,115 times

Advertisements

I am the daughter of a Marine and I can remember being a young girl and going to the White House while he was stationed at 8th and I and the other Marines would just treat me so well...give me candy, walk me around to different areas of the White House...basically spoil me a little bit..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 03:26 PM

21 posts, read 105,483 times
Way back in 1975 when I was in Basic Training at Fort Leonard Wood, my platoon was nearing the end of graduation when we got our orders to go to Advanced Individual Training. After almost two months of being in very close quarters you got to know people pretty well. There was a young man from New York City(Harlem) who claimed to have never been out of New York until he joined the Army. There were two other Oklahomans beside me and we decided to pull a little prank on our NY friend. He had received orders to Fort Sill, OK which is in the SW part of Oklahoma. Fort Sill was the final home to that famous Apache Indian, Geronimo. We told the young lad from NY that he had to be careful as there were many descendants of the Apaches still running around the wilds of Fort Sill and they occasionally would raid the area. If memory serves me correct, there was a man that had grown up on one of the reservations in South Dakota in our platoon that we also enlisted in this prank. (I think he was Lakotoa Sioux) He also told the NY soldier about his "cousins" in Oklahoma. The young NYC soldier was so scared that he would be killed by wild indians on horseback that he was thinking of going absent without leave. My Oklahoma friends and I figured we better tell him we were pulling his leg. Well we did and he was quite angry as you can imagine. After getting over his initial anger, he did forgive us and we learned we better not being pulling any more practical jokes.

Keep in mind this happened over 30 years ago when I was in my early .20s so I hope the details are pretty correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues