Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:37 AM

814 posts, read 2,307,635 times

Advertisements

i know someone who is a vietnam vet who killed a child boy in vietnam. he thought he was armed but after he checked him, he found out he wasn't. he, of course, having a conscience and a good person has never gotten over that.

there are so many sad unknown victims from war. my friend's grandmother lived during the korean war and she worked in a factory as a young girl with many other young children. one of the girls was raped and after she had the baby, she fled as she was young and frightened. the grandmother who was so poor herself and did not have enough to eat herself was told to chew up some rice like gruel with her spit to feed the baby as she had no milk of course. she carried him everywhere she went on her back. they call it 'oboba' in korean and babies were straddled to the mother's back while working. that child boy survived until two years old and died of malnutrition. he didn't even have a name.

may these poor souls rest in peace who enter the world in such tragic circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,597,475 times
Thanks for posting this. I think this is a bigger issue than most people realize or even want to think about. What many people don't understand is that it can take many months, even years, after returning home before a veteran realizes s/he's having troubles associated with his/her experiences and time while deployed.

Many people have protested or are vocal about ending the war and bringing our troops home but far fewer do anything about what would really benefit these men and women - making sure there is adequate understanding, care, and attention for our veterans from all wars.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I was not quite civilized when I went to 'Nam and less so after I came back. I still am not civilized but I fake it pretty well.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:52 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,233,275 times
PTSD is a crazy disorder, crazy in that it is very debilitating in many ways, yet goes undiagnosed in a vast majority of people, civilian and military. There is a push by many of us in counseling circles for the APA to recognize CSD, Combat Stress Disorder as separate from PTSD. The 2 have MANY similarities, but also some differences as well.

The part that frustrates me is that there is so much red tape in getting diagnosed and treated for CSD/PTSD, and if left un-treated the results can (worse case) be catastrophic, as we have seen in the news recently. Yet, it is a disorder that can be dealt with with treatment (and hard work), and it shouldn't be a black mark that prevents promotion.

Ok, so it is my soapbox, but counseling military persons with CSD is my life's work.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:27 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,457,372 times
i have friends that are actually suffering from it, whether they want to admit it or not, and i know people that do everything that they can to fake it so that they can get out of deploying. what pisses me off about that is the fact that the selfish malingerers not only abandon their duties and force others to carry their weight, but they then make it harder for people that are actually suffering to get help, and they make it seem shameful and weak to even look for help.

EDIT: i just noticed that i left myself out of my post. my wife would say that this is denial on my part. i still have problems associated with combat and i have been home from iraq since august of 06. i deal with it better than some people, but there are areas in which i still struggle; my temper is a lot worse these days.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:39 PM

3 posts, read 7,389 times
Default PTSD help! PLEASE!

My dh has seena dr and has been to treatment and he was doing great with treatment and he was pulled out by the garrison commander because the g.c was being dumb. So now my dh is worse than ever. Drinking too much, maybe using drugs, out all the time. when home cant sit still, waking inthe night screaming and crying. we tried to xfer and they said no. He is in the WTB. We have had abuse of command and they are screwing my dh's life up. He has been in for 8 years and has done 4 deployments. I may not have a dh much longer if it does not stop. He will hurt himself. YES we have taken ALL measurements to TRY to get him help but the military seems to pull him out everytime. This time the said he can go to any treatment center he wants and I would like to know if anyone has been to a PTSD center and which one and how did it help or not help you. My dh's life is hanging on by a half a thread and we need help. Please tell be the best PTSD centers out there! Thank you so much!!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 12:15 AM

332 posts, read 1,431,192 times
I know this isn't what you asked but maybe it will help out.

It's free help outside of the military. All of the volunteers are trained and licensed clinical professionals... many of which have a good deal of experience.

Hope you guys find some peace soon.

Give an Hour - Home (http://www.giveanhour.org/skins/gah/home.aspx - broken link)

Moderator cut: http://connected.giveanhour.org/woun...-project.shtml is a valid URL for the above URL

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-08-2015 at 08:31 PM..

Old 07-02-2009, 08:46 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,859,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linzieco View Post
I would like to know if anyone has been to a PTSD center and which one and how did it help or not help you.
Been there, done that.
MAKE him go to the nearest VA center and insist on treatment !!!
Go with him, and attend sessions TOGETHER.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linzieco View Post
Please tell be the best PTSD centers out there!
No way anybody can tell you where *the best PTSD center(s) is (or are)*.

I have not heard of any study about the quality of PTSD centers anywhere ...

If you start your sessions, and you are not satisfied, make noise !!!
The squeaking wheel, gets greased !!!
We went through 4 counselors. The first one (a super guy) retired and finally we got another good one.

It takes a long time and a lot of work to *heal*
I started with weekly sessions, and am now on a 6-8 week interval (going on 4 years now ...).
Have to insist that *If not for my wife .., I would still be in trouble*
Also, if he is put on meds, then insist, he takes them !!!!

Last edited by irman; 07-02-2009 at 09:45 AM..

Old 07-02-2009, 09:16 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,140,259 times
linzieco,

I see your post has received quite a few views, but only two answers. I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. I just want you to know that my heart (and probably ever reader's heart) goes out to you and your husband. Four deployments in eight years is way too much. I hope you'll receive the help you need to pull through the agony and stress.
All the best to both of you.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:44 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,859,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Nelson View Post
lFour deployments in eight years is way too much.
As long as we, as soldiers, are considered nothing more as *collateral*,
then nothing will change .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues