Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg69 View Post
Got my C&P results back. Very frustrating, I wanted to chicken choke someone. The examiner was like a robot. Just aked questions from the computer and typed in answers. I felt like I was an imposition on his time. Bottom line was that he service connected and confirmed my PTSD due to combat experiences in Vietnam. All my symptoms were listed and how they affect my current life. However coma, under the Occ/Social Imparement, he indicated the last one (no imparement at all). I talked to my Therapist and Psych at my next appointments and was basically told that they knew this examiner and that "he always does that" What kind of crap is that ? I have not got my rating results back yet, but with the writing on the wall I guess I get ready to file a NOD ?

The GAF (Global Assessment of Functioning) score he gave you is far more important than his comments.

Right now is a good time to send along a personal letter from you describing how the war has affected your life since you got home. They're not interested in hearing about your war, but about what's been going on since. Also, send one from your wife, kids, co-workers, friends, parents, siblings or anyone else you can get to do one.

You should have gotten a letter from the Regional Office acknowledging your claim when you first filed. That letter should have included an outline of your claim and a list of documentation they received from you. It also has your claim number on it.

So..send those personal letters to the address from which that acknowledgment letter came and ATTN: it to the person who signed that letter. That'll make sure they arrive at the right desk. Include your name and claim number on EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF PAPER YOU SEND THE VA and put it in the upper right hand corner. DO NOT send original documents of anything, not even these letters. Copies only, because things can, and do, get lost. Include a cover letter explaining that these are additional information for your claim. If you haven't received an acknowledgment that they got those letters within a couple of weeks, call them.

Never forget this when dealing with the VA: That adjudicator knows nothing other than what you tell him. He is under no obligation to prove your claim for you and, in fact, cannot request any documentation other than a copy of your VA medical file. Proving the claim is up to YOU and if you don't adequately prove it, there's nobody to blame but yourself. In line with that, go down to records release at your local VAMC and get copies of your medical records yourself. Select out the pertinent documents and highlight things such as diagnoses and GAF scores, then send that as additional information too. Do that because the adjudicator may not get copies of your medical records, so YOU make sure he has them.

Remember, that adjudicator has hundreds of files in his inbox, and anything you can do to make his job easier is a plus for you.

One more thing: Do NOT file a Notice of Disagreement except as a last resort. That moves your file to someone elses desk and it goes to the bottom of the pile. Instead, send any other additional information on your claim that you can find. That keeps the file on that persons desk and gives him an opportunity to re-review the whole thing. As importantly, you have one year to file a NOD after your claim has been denied, but each time you send additional information restarts that one year clock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 01:38 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
Agreed, ask for a reconsideration first and if that fails file a NOD.

OP, I don't know your age or circumstances but if you can't work you should also file for Social Security Disability.

PS: Also note that what ever your personal VA doctor wrote up about you carries the most weight; do you know what he wrote?

Old 03-06-2011, 02:41 PM

43 posts, read 94,086 times
I am diagnose with it. I came home, it didn't settle down, the wife gone, unemployable, over react to everything, va made me crazier with meds, I went from 260 to 192 lbs or so, sleep every few days about 4 hours. Finally I was relieved of duty when I returned to active here at home. I was drug tested of course (obviously he uses cocaine) . Finally I went to a bar, got a glass of Jd. The bartender was an acquaintance and didn't even know it was me. My adrenaline races so badly I figured my heart would just give sometime soon. Booze had zero effect. She gave me Xanax over the bar and told me to go to a private doctor and tell them you want Xanax and a nightly tranquilizer. Saved my life. Woke up in a wet bed, ew, but very happily. About 4 years later now I have almost zero recollection of my tour, where I have been the past 4 years. Finally 4 months ago, a new psyc doc gave me seroquel. Finally the right long term med. I'm finally able to submit a claim after complete 4 years of insanity.
If you know someone who has it bad, seroquel.
Knowing there are people out there that are very good at claims and the system while really they have suffered nothing makes me mad. I happen to know of a person who never left the states, joined the service during the Vietnam era, then the war was over. He worked the system and it's complete bs. He works amongst vets and everyone treats him like a worm.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:34 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I was once diagnosed with secondary PTSD due to the emotional abuse I took from my Viet Nam veteran husband. No, I never got money or anything for it. It's what the VA said though. We worked hard to get his disability compensation and it took a long time and he practically had to relive Viet Nam all over again. The VA was NO help at all with his PTSD, they made him worse and proving his PTSD made him worse because he had to remember it all.

Also, I know someone who has PTSD symptoms who never went to Viet Nam. He works but he is messed up and has had several failed marriages. His feelings are numb, just like my ex husband who had PTSD. During the Viet Nam era this guy's Army job was to meet the parents of the dead soldiers and lead them to view the body. Every day, day in and day out. You don't think that could mess you up? They blamed HIM.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
The sad thing is, see how a guy who actually has PTSD, and how completely screwed up he is, and how messed up his life is...no one would want that! A side note, there is now a "new PTSD" called "Secondary PTSD", my screwed up loser, drug addict, prison ho brother says he has it, and that is why he is all f#*?!d up. Love it, he never served, but thinks he should get counseling for all of his "trauma" that he has experienced because our Father went to Vietnam...oddly enough, the rest of us are fine!

Old 03-08-2011, 09:08 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
PTSD is an issue. Sadly there are many out there who dont get the help they need. Or in my case they BS their command well enough so they dont get pinned with it. My husband has admitted to me that he has PTSD but has convinced his command he doesnt. I'm sorry but when you are woken up in the middle of the night with your husband holding you down telling you not to move in his sleep, jerks so bad that it shakes your solid wood bed and has nightmares to the point your scared to touch him to wake him up. There is an issue there.
Do I think some play it up? Yes I think there are.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:02 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The sad thing is, see how a guy who actually has PTSD, and how completely screwed up he is, and how messed up his life is...no one would want that! A side note, there is now a "new PTSD" called "Secondary PTSD", my screwed up loser, drug addict, prison ho brother says he has it, and that is why he is all f#*?!d up. Love it, he never served, but thinks he should get counseling for all of his "trauma" that he has experienced because our Father went to Vietnam...oddly enough, the rest of us are fine!
I suspect few people would have an issue with him seeking counseling. But many would have a problem with him getting monetary compensation or blaming all his problems on it.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:42 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
I am disabled with PTSD, it or the diagnoses of it, have caused me to lose more than one job. My problem is that when you go to group for treatment there are so many "era vets" who weree traumatized because of what they saw on the evening news that it makes meaningful care impossible

Old 03-10-2011, 06:41 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
The VA also offers resident programs for PTSD if you really want it.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:22 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
The VA also offers resident programs for PTSD if you really want it.
What I want is to go to group and not have half the group be REMFs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues