Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times

Advertisements

contrary to common opinion --35 and still sitting on mama's couch-- is not a safe place to be, esp with a collapsing economy. marine corp will prevent that from happening, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,673 times
My 19 years old son leave the university because he wants to join the air force. He was 50 pounds over weight so he decided to loose the weight. Right now he loose 15 but it took 6 month and he is so frustrated right now! I want to help him but I dont know what to do. I was thinking to go to a recruiter and ask if there is a program that can help him to reach his goal.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:12 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,304 times
It's all about diet and exercise; if he's not motivated enough to loose the weight then he's probably not a good match for the military anyway.

If he wants to get serious then most gyms have fitness trainers that can help him with a diet and exercise program.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:08 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,000 times
diet is the absolute key. I f you notice most weight loss plans are either diet & exercise, or diet alone. If you're 50 lbs overweight. That's more a diet issue than just being sedentary. You can run 5 miles/day and live in the gym, but if you don't change you eating habits you will not lose weight.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:10 AM

12 posts, read 25,784 times
I am a Former Marine I did some things I shouldn't have and got out as private first class. first off its the fiery determination to want to be a Marine and second off if I had kids I would tell them to say "my dad is a former Marine" and get the advanced degrees and have nothing with the military. All that happened with me was I was demerited for being Five minutes late to work one day. The military is red tape central and its filled with JERKS that could ruin chances of getting out "honorably" within a heartbeat. In the civilian world if you dont like your job then you leave, in the military you get sent to the Brig and get discharges other than a honorable discharge. Really this is a serious decision because its 4 years at least of your sons life and no he wont be dealing with civilian laws only but the UCMJ at that also.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:22 AM

12 posts, read 25,784 times
as previous posters have said a lot of people dont know what they are really getting themselves into. It took one power craving woman to do me for what because I wasn't going to reenlist or I wasn't afrocentric enough to her liking? I say if he really cares he should support our troops and find things he could do to make living conditions better for Veterans ,service members, work for Veterans Affairs, find homeless Veterans get veterans Jobs, improve quality of life for service members. YOu can still be a civilian and do a part in helping those that have served or are serving now you dont have to feel the need to join. I went in after highschool but if I already were established as your son is I would consider doing what I just wrote. s

Old 07-02-2010, 06:45 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,196,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
diet is the absolute key. I f you notice most weight loss plans are either diet & exercise, or diet alone. If you're 50 lbs overweight. That's more a diet issue than just being sedentary. You can run 5 miles/day and live in the gym, but if you don't change you eating habits you will not lose weight.
If someone runs 5 miles a day, they won't be 50 lbs overweight.

I doubt a person 50 pounds overweight would be able to run 5 miles a day.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:54 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,304 times
I think we can all agree that diet and exercise together are the key to weight loss and good physical fitness.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:29 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
I think we can all agree that diet and exercise together are the key to weight loss and good physical fitness.
I am proof of that. I bet I have lost 500+ pounds in my life. Proper diet, proper exercise and maintaining them is the key.

Rich

Old 07-02-2010, 06:21 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
If someone runs 5 miles a day, they won't be 50 lbs overweight.

I doubt a person 50 pounds overweight would be able to run 5 miles a day.

a bit of hyperbole, but my point was that people will go to the gym or do a decent workout, burning the necessary 500 calories a day to see weight loss, but then ruin it by consuming an extra 1000 calories. Hyperbole aside the point remains that you can exercise all you want, but if it's not married with a good diet plan you won't see the results you're looking for. That goes with beefing up or slimming down. It's the diet portion that typically trips people up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues