Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 05:31 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster View Post
And the spouses and children of current and former USAA members are eligible. Good company!
Yes, I got in under my dad's membership and they saved me over $60 a month in car insurance. I'd love to do other things with them such as banking and rental insurance for my first apt in a couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 08:42 AM

749 posts, read 1,790,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I have had very good service with USAA with various insurance, vehicle and home for over 20 years. My daughter was able to eventually get USAA after we carried her for a while. We also do our banking with them and financed our last vehicle through them...

Rich
We also have everything with them. Great company with many extras.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:53 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,706,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Some facts:

"USAA was founded in 1922 by a group of U.S. Army officers to self-insure each other when they were unable to secure auto insurance due to the perception that they were a high-risk group"

"But USAA has always been an exclusive club. When it was set up in 1922, only officers were eligible. In 1996, the company began including enlisted men and women."

Rich
Thanks. I was too vague...To clarify, I'm sure they constantly change eligibility requirements all the time. Up until summer of 2006, the banking and credit products were open to anyone. The insurance and investment products were reserved to military members who showed proof. I open my account in the very early 2000s when I was not military and didn't have a problem. Credit forums (Experian, Trans union Equifax) are the only source I can find that state USAA was open to all.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:22 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,788,505 times
Does anyone worry USAA is getting to big?

Old 11-07-2009, 10:16 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
I don't worry about it.... I have enjoyed their services for many years, my worrying would not help at all. My whole life is not tied up with USAA, but I use many of their services (even their florist services). But I would not hesitate to drop them quickly like a "hot potato" if they went awry...

Rich

Old 11-07-2009, 10:24 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,141,356 times
Here is a link that will tell you which products and services you would be eligible for

For example USAA banking & life insurance products are available to non military but not the Auto or home insurance products

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/...se=eligibility

Old 11-07-2009, 10:35 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Thanks. I was too vague...To clarify, I'm sure they constantly change eligibility requirements all the time. Up until summer of 2006, the banking and credit products were open to anyone. The insurance and investment products were reserved to military members who showed proof. I open my account in the very early 2000s when I was not military and didn't have a problem. Credit forums (Experian, Trans union Equifax) are the only source I can find that state USAA was open to all.
Even some of their banking services were not available everyplace, like in PA for example which had an old law to prevent auto insurance companies from being in the position to make a car loan.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/...igibility_main
Quote:
Military veterans includes:
  • Retired officers and enlisted personnel.
  • Former officers and enlisted personnel who separated and were honorably discharged.
The following products are available to military veterans:
Product Availability Insurance All products Banking All products Investments All products Shopping and Discounts All products

(You have to go to the web site to see)

And last but not least: The company began as "United States Army Automobile Association" in 1922 and a few years later was changed to "United Services Automobile Association", and much later in the 70's(?) changed to USAA (Sort of like IHOP and KFC did).

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-08-2009 at 07:16 AM..

Old 11-08-2009, 06:22 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,905,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post

As it's membership grows doesn't potentially mean lower rates, or at the very least maintaining of current great rates.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:22 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
I would think that as more of the veterans from WWII are passing and less people actually serve that they would not increase memebership but might have started losing memebership. Much as credit union dd before openig up to more people than unions members.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:24 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,038,154 times
Default USAA Membership Now Open to All Veterans

Just in case some Veterans haven't heard USAA membership has opened up to include any Veteran that has honorably served.

For those that don't know USAA is a large member owned insurance (auto, home, life) and financial company. They are one of the most highly rated companies in the U.S. Their rates are normally always cheaper and their customer service is second to none.

I don't work for USAA, I'm just a satisfied 25 year customer that wants to pass this good news on to other Veterans.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_logon/Logon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues