Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 11:47 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
USAA has a civilian bank and a military bank. They also provide insurance for their military and veteran customers. They do not need your DD214 to verify your military service - the SS number you provided would be proof enough. I know you gave them this, as this is mandatory to open any bank account in the US.

If you are a veteran and opened an account through their civilian branch, it would behoove you to change it as their military bank has more benefits. You cannot get an account for their military branch through a "stepmother's nephew" - you must be a servicemember, a veteran,a current spouse of either or a dependent of a member, under the age of 18, to get one. Once you are a member, you are a member for life, and the privileges are granted to your spouse and any dependents either of you have, provided you have them assigned a member number before the age of 18.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
USAA deals with anyone that applies and gets accepted, however, what you receive is a different story.....

Obviously, military receive all membership privileges...

USAA has an "Other" category for membership....

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/why_...icgsch40701570
Well I don't get (neither does my wife, obviously) the active military bank cards and mastercard, I do have a bank account, savings account, once I get a job, I'll be eligible for a credit card, we also have Auto insurance, renters insurance etc. from them.

In any case, their bank is great and their insurance coverage and rates are second to none, we're paying substantially less (close to half) than any other company we got a quote from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 11:58 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Yes, but "anyone" will not get the same benefits as someone in the military...
How so?

Old 09-04-2011, 01:45 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
How so?
I was a USAA member before I enlisted in the USAF (Dad was a Navy 0-5) I, for some inexplicable reason, decided to get GEICO insurance when I arrived at my first PCS duty station. I secured my auto policy through a local GEICO agent. He wouldn't give me a straight answer when I asked him why I was making my premium checks out to "Casualty insurance Company". This was the same time as GEICO got into hot water for assigning all but their best policyholders to a subsidiary company that charged much higher rates without telling them. Now I'm guessing that's what all insurance companies do now. And I'm guessing that USAA may put non-military member members into one of their associate companies. But I'm sure that they'd indicate that with the policy information they send out.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:15 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
It is my understanding that GEICO used to be focused exclusively on Gov Employees. Just like how USAA was focused exclusively on commissioned officers.

It was only after many years of doing business, [and being successful] that they both decided to open their customer base to everyone.
Not exactly, I had GEICO in the 80's and was in the military, but not considered a government employee, so they underwrote the policy under another insurance company. I had problems with GEICO after some problems.

The Government Employees Insurance Company GEICO is an auto insurance company a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway (ie Warren Buffett, who brought the company out of their problems)

USAA to operates differently, it is an inter-insurance exchange, with no shareholders and profits are retained for financial strength or returned to the members. Returns are accomplished through an SSA (Subscriber's Savings Account).

Rich

Old 09-04-2011, 02:23 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Not exactly, I had GEICO in the 80's and was in the military, but not considered a government employee, so they underwrote the policy under another insurance company.
Yes, I had a Geico policy in that time frame as well.

Even going overseas [for me] it was through Geico that the appropriate underwriter was chosen to provide vehicle insurance for me. That was in the 80s and in the 90s.

Quote:
... USAA to operates differently, it is an inter-insurance exchange, with no shareholders and profits are retained for financial strength or returned to the members. Returns are accomplished through an SSA (Subscriber's Savings Account).

Rich
I do not know. I applied, but because I was a US servicemember I was never eligible to join USAA, until after I retired [when they changed their policies].

Old 09-04-2011, 03:43 PM

46,295 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
How so?
Well, post 6 is a link that shows the differences...but at the minimum, here is a basic of what "others" can and cannot get...

Quote:
Insurance
  • Life insurance
  • Auto insurance not available through USAA (except NC and NH).
  • Property insurance not available through USAA.
Banking
  • Checking and Savings
  • Checking for Teens and College Students
  • Youth Savings
  • Certificates of Deposit (CDs)
  • CD IRAs
  • Prepaid Card
  • Credit Cards
Investments All products Shopping and Discounts All products

Old 09-04-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Well, post 6 is a link that shows the differences...but at the minimum, here is a basic of what "others" can and cannot get...
That said though, like I said, they cast the net pretty wide, and once you're in your in.

I do have property and car insurance through USAA, and I've never served in any form of army, as long as you have family that's on it, they can add you on to their plan and then you're in.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:07 PM

46,295 posts, read 27,108,503 times
All,
Everyone can enjoy USAA, there website says this.

If your parents are military and they add you to anything, you can continue to use USAA.....I'm willing to bet even your children can use USAA with full benefits....

However, just as the USAA site says, if you have NOTHING to do with the military, your parents were never military, you have never been military, and no one you have ever known has been in the military...

Guess what, you too can also become a member of USAA....BUT, you will not have all the benefits of a person who's parents are/have been military, or you being/have been military....

Old 09-04-2011, 09:05 PM

All the rules are included in the About USAA facts on this website.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/why_choose_usaa_main

Essentially, if your parents were USAA members with auto or home insurance, then you are eligible for the same, whether you've served or not. People with spouses also has access, through their spouse, if that spouse had access.

If you're not active military you don't get the special benefits for active military, but it honestly doesn't seem that hard to be eligible for most of the other benefits as long as someone in your relatively direct family has an account with a car or property insurance.

Neither me nor my wife have served, but at this point, since we're members with car insurance, we can now sign on our potential children with the same level of coverage when they turn 18.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:19 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I served on Active Duty from 1976 until 2001. During my Active Duty career I was never eligible to join USAA.

Up until the time that I retired, no US servicemember who ever worked for me was ever eligible to join USAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues