Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
I know what you mean! I kinda feel better now hearing how a veteran of the area slid too in that mess. So it wasn't just me.

I didn't see plows until in the evening. At 9pm, our main street which I can see from my window was still not plowed, and then around 10pm it magically was. This morning, everything was plowed.

I noticed a lot of people shoveling their sidewalks almost immediately after the snow fell. And forgive me for my ignorance, but what makes walking so difficult in the winter besides the ice and danger of slipping and falling? I thought maybe walking would be a nice alternative to driving when it gets really bad, but maybe not.
I hardly ever drive even though I have a car. I live close to where I work downtown so I just walk or bus it every day. Walking in the winter sucks because there are a lot of people who don't shovel their walks so it just compacts into ice that is staying there until spring. I don't know, my body is constantly tense while walking in the winter because of the probability of slipping or falling what with the ever present snow/ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 10:27 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,938 times
My girlfriend's mom slipped on the ice this weekend (in Dallas) broke her dominant arm & dislocated her shoulder. Be careful.

Got my new tires (Continental Contact DWS) on Saturday. They are way better than the stock ones.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:45 PM

283 posts, read 434,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Walking in the winter sucks because there are a lot of people who don't shovel their walks so it just compacts into ice that is staying there until spring. I don't know, my body is constantly tense while walking in the winter because of the probability of slipping or falling what with the ever present snow/ice.
Ah yes, that would be horrible. And what's interesting is that suddenly I got flashbacks to having to deal with that when I was younger and growing up in Michigan. People's footprints that iced over really make it hard to get proper traction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
My girlfriend's mom slipped on the ice this weekend (in Dallas) broke her dominant arm & dislocated her shoulder. Be careful.

Got my new tires (Continental Contact DWS) on Saturday. They are way better than the stock ones.
Ouch!

I still have yet to get tires. I just now found out how to swap tires without dealing with a trip to the dealer for the tpms system.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:18 PM

Get your snow tires ready for another fun weekend sliding around almost hitting cars. I'm staying in until I have proper tires mounted.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:11 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
Good year eagle GT all seasons work great in the snow for me. Around here people are generally too careful with driving though where they get off guard are the people in the 4WD trucks thinking they are invincible and finding out they are not, which happens most on the interstates where it's predominantly 4WD trucks you see that slid off the interstate into the median (center area) usually while trying to pass slower drivers in a passing lane that is covered in snow. BUT drivers can be stupidly slow, going 30mph on the interstates out here, so I can understand their need to pass.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:46 AM

I've seen all sorts of nonsense in just regular cars, especially rwd ones. The parking lot at my wife's work had all sorts of freshly damaged cars from the first snow, and even the most recent one.

I'm actually more worried about being hit by someone else than getting myself in trouble. In fact, the only thing I'm worried about is getting hit by someone else because I can't get out of the way. The snow setup should solve that.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:21 PM

A really highly rated and quite inexpensive snow tire is the General Altimax Arctic. It's so good that the local ice-racers use them.

The only drawback to them is their speed rating, so you can't use them all year round or go 100mph. But if you've got the ability to speed like that, you don't need them.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:02 AM

78 posts, read 229,517 times
I used good all-seasons until last winter, when I got a set of Michelin X-Ice XI3 winter tires.

I'm never going back to using "regular" tires between December and March. Huge difference in handling and maneuverability. If I had a short commute I could see not spending the money, but anything involving cross-town driving or driving between multiple locations...no way.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzou65201 View Post
I used good all-seasons until last winter, when I got a set of Michelin X-Ice XI3 winter tires.

I'm never going back to using "regular" tires between December and March. Huge difference in handling and maneuverability. If I had a short commute I could see not spending the money, but anything involving cross-town driving or driving between multiple locations...no way.
I just mounted our snow set to the car this weekend and it's a HUGE difference. I went from being scared to drive in snow to actually enjoying it.

It's foolish not to invest in a set of winter tires, even for a short commute. If your deductible is $500 or $1000, the first time you save yourself from an accident they just paid for themselves. I can't believe how many people just expose themselves to this liability. I saw two parked cars smashed on my short morning commute--I bet the drivers weren't on snow tires.

It's amazing how many hit and runs happen in this city. If I was parking on the street, I'd be investing in a dashcam like the Russians do to get the license plates for prosecution.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:56 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,938 times
I think I saw a dozen cars on the side of the road on the way to work this morning. It was pretty wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee