Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 12:55 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,011,339 times

Advertisements

I got offered an engineering job in Milwaukee upon graduation. Just wondering about some pros and cons of the area. My preferred location is central michigan, because that is where I'm from. How does it compare? Wisconsin, are taxes generally considered high, low, midway? Any thing I should be aware of before accepting the offer? Is there a reasonable ferry from milwaukee to michigan and back to avoid chicago? Anything else anyone can think of, I'm all ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 02:40 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,665,531 times
Different.
Which taxes? Compared to where?
Let me see the offer.
Yes.
I like Milwaukee but the weather sucks.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:06 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
I got offered an engineering job in Milwaukee upon graduation. Just wondering about some pros and cons of the area. My preferred location is central michigan, because that is where I'm from. How does it compare? Wisconsin, are taxes generally considered high, low, midway? Any thing I should be aware of before accepting the offer? Is there a reasonable ferry from milwaukee to michigan and back to avoid chicago? Anything else anyone can think of, I'm all ears.
Property taxes? High. At least that's what I hear. I rent.
Never been to central Michigan, only the UP so I have no idea how it compares.
Yes, there's a high speed ferry to Michigan. Lake Express - Lake Michigan's high speed ferry
I don't know what you should be aware of exactly. I guess I'd say don't move into the inner city. People here are friendly, at least that's what out of towners say all the time. You can't buy alcohol after 9 unless you go outside of the county, so that's a bummer. Milwaukee is basically liberal with pockets of conservatives here & there. The east side/Brady St/Riverwest would be considered the most liberal. Winter only sucks if it snows a lot because if you're a pedestrian mostly like myself, there are a lot of people who don't shovel their walks so it just stays a block of ice until spring. Don't be that person. There's a ton of stuff to do in the summer. Fall & spring last a second. Our transit system sucks, truly. You will get parking tickets, it's like an initiation. The parking checker vultures are out in full swing downtown & on the east side. You won't have a problem getting a variety of food/restaurants here. I don't know what else to tell you.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:04 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,011,339 times
How about a house out of the city? I'll be wanting to live away from the bulk of the city, can I find a safe place area to live in without spending a fortune, say within 30 minutes from downtown?

Old 11-07-2013, 12:58 PM

81 posts, read 110,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Let me throw this out there to you--if it's a good job, take it, unless you have other offers in locations you prefer. You will likely be able to use that work experience to get yourself back to MI in just a couple of years (if that's what you still want to do at that point).

The Lake Express is great, but it's expensive. Driving back to MI through Chicago isn't that bad if you're smart about when you go and what route you choose.

Milwaukee is not that far away. It probably seems that way since you're from MI and probably went to school in MI, but in reality, it's not that far.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:39 AM

358 posts, read 512,639 times
Taxes aren't worth worrying about. Everywhere I've been, and I've been around, there are taxes. They come in different forms and they are called different things, but in the end governments are going to take their money. It's really all the same.

Pennsylvania had five different levels of income tax when I lived there in the '80's and '90's, but it all came to the same as anywhere else.

Texas has no state income tax, but they find a way, although the level of services isn't the same. I don't think I missed it, though.

On the other hand, Wisconsin doesn't have fire ants or tarantulas or rattlesnakes. You can walk barefoot in the long soft grass and not worry about getting bit by something poisonous.

The weather is the weather. What can you do? We have four seasons. I like that better than 95-100 every day for 6 months. That stuff gets old. We have lush green growing things. Lots of water.

Yes, so does central Michigan, but Milwaukee is a party all the time if you look for it.

Avoid politics. It will just make you frustrated. It's not worth it. Live life on your own terms and to hell with the rest. Politicians, whether they are elected or just amateur bloggers, are mean bad people. All of them.

Have a brat and a beer and a friendly girl. Life is to be enjoyed.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:08 AM

458 posts, read 1,249,732 times
Are there really engineering companies in Milwaukee worth transplanting for? Are there no companies in Michigan looking for engineers? Milwaukee is great but it's not a place I would consider leaving behind family for. This is evident as Milwaukee has a hard time keeping young engineers from leaving the city. I've noticed a lot of engineers in Milwaukee companies tend to stay at their companies long term.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:24 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,665,531 times
uhhhh Johnson Controls, Rockwell, or GE Healthcare?? I know people who have left EUROPE to come work in Milwaukee.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:55 AM

2,663 posts, read 3,861,792 times
I have been in Engineering for 30 years now.(Wow - I'm getting old)
Lived in several states and two countries.

My advice - If it is a good job that allows you to earn some good $, develop experiences, skills and connections - TAKE IT.

At your age - tying yourself to your home state could be a mistake. You can get back there later and probably have a lot more options, if it really means that much to you. Further - you are not that far away.

MKE is a nice liveable place - don't worry about that.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:01 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
I have been in Engineering for 30 years now.(Wow - I'm getting old)
Lived in several states and two countries.

My advice - If it is a good job that allows you to earn some good $, develop experiences, skills and connections - TAKE IT.

At your age - tying yourself to your home state could be a mistake. You can get back there later and probably have a lot more options, if it really means that much to you. Further - you are not that far away.

MKE is a nice liveable place - don't worry about that.
I agree. I've never lived out of state & I totally regret it. Now my parents are at that old stage where I don't want to be too far away from them, just in case. Take the job, experience a new state & city, you won't regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee