Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:35 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC3700 View Post
All of them with the exception of New York and Chicago (which aren't segregated) are cities that have problems.
Perhaps you would like to think otherwise, but New York and Chicago are segregated, as are Milwaukee, Detroit, and Gary. You can substantiate this with your own two eyes, by simply traveling to different areas of each city. Also, how or why did New York and Chicago get listed in the top 5 along with Milwaukee, if they are not segregated? Was it a typo?

Quote:

As a result of segregation, people who actually are lucky enough to get jobs have to deal with extremely long commutes.
Does this not also apply to people in other cities, towns, and rural areas of the country? Is this a geographic or socioeconomic problem? Could this be affected by educational achievement? Is this issue specifically related to segregated areas of Milwaukee? And finally, what is an extremely long commute?

Quote:
They are a lucky few, though, since your average racist businessman doesn't want to hire someone from 20th & Center.
The "average racist businessman"? This raises some questions.

Quote:
I think that you and MC are getting my argument twisted.
The twisting is inherent to your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 02:35 PM

119 posts, read 469,294 times
I would like to bring this thread back up to the top because I have similar questions about MPS.

We are looking to move back to Wisconsin in the next year or two and Milwaukee is our target right now. I am not concerned too much about segregation but I would like to know more about MPS. Is it a district a young high school/middle school teacher should be looking at getting into? I know Milwaukee has trended towards going to charter schools but I hesitate to get back into a situation at a charter. I prefer to go the public school route. I know about MPS' poor reputation. I'm curious if the public high schools are going to survive in Milwaukee w/all the charters. What type of chance would I have at getting a position being a young Social Studies teacher? I have a bunch of other questions too so I would love to get the perspective of a MPS teacher or a teacher from a nearby district.

Thanks

Old 10-31-2009, 03:14 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
MPS middle schools are better than the MPS high schools but that's not saying much. I would prefer to teach in one of the south side districts if I were teaching, for safety reasons mainly.

Here this link might help:School District Maps (http://www2.milwaukee.k12.wi.us/supt/SchoolDistrictMaps.html - broken link)

Old 10-31-2009, 05:47 PM

146 posts, read 343,373 times
It doesn't matter which MPS high school you would teach at, because of the city-wide busing.
There are some real issues with the secondary schools. There haven't been any "riots", such as the recent escapades at Vincent in any of the south side schools, such as Hamilton. But that is in no way an endorsement of the environment that exists at Hamilton. In the same breath, South Division has a security detail that rivals that of many suburban police departments.
Obviously, certain schools seem to draw more problems, but when some of the schools have a 40-50% truancy rate, or more, most of the problems aren't in the classroom.

For what it's worth, South Division and it's security presence, both seem to function fairly well. I am not a teacher, but have a significant amount of interaction with the school thru work. They're urban kids with urban problems that need people to deal with them who have an understanding of those issues. The administration that currently exists at South seems to be doing a decent job of that.

As long as MPS is able to operate outside of the city budget process it will survive.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:02 AM

402 posts, read 976,715 times
Quote:
I wish I knew more about how MPS pays, but I don't. I do know that they are in financial trouble, though. The school board actually did a study on dissolving the district. They have closed 15 schools in the past few years. I think you'll like it here.
Only because of dropping enrollment. While us baby boomers were all in school they were all open and even expanded.

I too, think you would like it here.

I live in the Lower East side Brady Street area and my neighborhood is very diverse.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:53 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Milwaukee City - Why is it that people (even on this forum) fail to recognize the diversity of the south side. It's a mystery to me..
thats a good question many of the early immigrant groups such as polish people still live there and gather at some of the big catholic churches.

hispanics-various races/nationalities
american blacks
various european ethnic groups
american whites
native americans

Old 11-02-2009, 08:11 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Lets not forget the Asians along national ave!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:48 AM

28 posts, read 26,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
MPS middle schools are better than the MPS high schools but that's not saying much. I would prefer to teach in one of the south side districts if I were teaching, for safety reasons mainly.

Here this link might help:School District Maps (http://www2.milwaukee.k12.wi.us/supt/SchoolDistrictMaps.html - broken link)

You like Chicago comparisons. Chicago schools are terrible. I wouldn't teach there as a ghost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee