Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:51 AM

17 posts, read 30,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
My brother almost bought a condo overlooking Mears Park. That's a really nice area if you can find a place there. The last time we visited that park we saw at least three separate wedding parties getting their pictures taken there. It's one of the nicest city parks you're going to find in these parts.
We are looking at lowertown commons. I saw it had mixed reviews but I'm willing to risk it for a year. Plus they are one of the only places that has an apartment open that fits our needs and takes dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 07:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,363,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katt32 View Post
That's what I told him! He's just not as adventurous as I am. I'm ok with living in St paul until we get to know the cities better. We plan on leasing for a year and buying after we explore different areas.

I'm used to taking my child to school everyday. Here there is basically no bus system unless you live very far from the school. Almost everyone drops their kids off and picks them up. I don't mind.
I was thinking more about commuting in the winter. If you are going to live in Downtown and want to open enroll, I would look into the the West St. Paul/Mendota Heights district or the Mahtomedi schools. Mounds View would be another choice on that side of the cities but a bit further out. I would start contacting these schools today though and see if they have openings. Usually open enrollment closes in January of the previous years but there are generally exceptions for people new to the area.

Something else to consider might be living in downtown Stillwater. The commute might be an issue for your DH since he doesn't seem to want to drive but it would be something to look into. There are new lofts in downtown and Stillwater is a lovely river town. It is also a very artsy area, very liberal as well. You may find you fit in there better then you would in St. Paul even. There are a lot of commuter options from Stillwater to St. Paul as well (park and rides, buses, carpools, etc.) so your DH could look into those if you find Stillwater to your liking. I think Stillwater would give you more of what you are looking for then downtown St. Paul even-contrary to what other people are going to post here that have never lived in Stillwater (I grew up there).

Old 07-18-2011, 11:14 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,346,812 times
Quote:
I wouldn't mind living in downtown Minneapolis but my husband is afraid to commute in the winters.

We have spoken to someone in the admissions office at the St. Paul school district and they seemed to think we wouldn't have a problem getting into one of the schools outside our immediate area using the open enrollment. I am very happy about this because we are moving from Las Vegas where the schools are not so great and you have to live in certain areas to make sure you child gets a decent education.

I can't express how happy we are to be moving to the twin cities. It basically everything we have been missing here.
While a location in DT St Paul may be more convenient, you may also want to consider DT Mpls as there are a lot of developments, and so, more options for someone with a dog.

There's excellent express bus service between the two downtowns

Metro Transit - Online Schedules

As of 2014, there will also be a LRT connection along the Central Corridor (although it won't be any faster than the Express Bus).

Welcome to the Twin Cities and good luck with your Apt search!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 3,179 times
What's the best site for apartment searches?

Old 07-18-2011, 04:20 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses. For now I think we are going to stick with being close to downtown stp. My husband works very long hours usually so if there is any way to extend the time he can spend at home we try to make it happen. Even it it's only 40 more minutes a day, I'll take it!

Although for now I may have to give up my downtown dream and just settle for being close until we buy.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the responses. For now I think we are going to stick with being close to downtown stp. My husband works very long hours usually so if there is any way to extend the time he can spend at home we try to make it happen. Even it it's only 40 more minutes a day, I'll take it!

Although for now I may have to give up my downtown dream and just settle for being close until we buy.
Which "side" of downtown will he be on (north or south of 94)?

Old 07-18-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Which "side" of downtown will he be on (north or south of 94)?
South, very near Rice park.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:57 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,032,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
As of 2014, there will also be a LRT connection along the Central Corridor (although it won't be any faster than the Express Bus).
I was surprised nobody mentioned the Central Corridor before MplsTodd's post. If you're looking for loft-style living and you can't seem to find what you want in St. Paul, downtown Minneapolis would probably have some good options. The Warehouse District and North Loop areas in particular have a lot of converted properties that likely have the exposed-brick-and-high-ceilings look but with new appliances and such. Then your husband could take the light rail into work (once it starts running obviously), which would be nice because even when the buses stop running due to severe weather, the train keeps going (and the benefit of having a train transport instead of sitting in horrible traffic).

[On another note, I know people say it won't take any less time to get there on the light rail instead of bus, but I've found sometimes the Hiawatha line has been speedier than they listed it as, plus, if someone were looking in DT Minneapolis closer to the Downtown East/Metrodome station, they would cut off quite a bit of time, because a good portion of the trek is the sometimes slow-as-molasses speed that the train creeps through DT and has to stop for lights]

Old 07-20-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
South, very near Rice park.
So what would plan B be if you can't find something in downtown St. Paul? What would be your next choice for places to live?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:30 AM

We have decided on an apartment. It is in the Mac-Grove area. East of Hamline, a few blocks south of Grand Avenue, and a 7 minute walk to Randolph Heights Elementary(the school I wanted my daughter to attend). I really love the location! It's pretty much close to everything(grand ave. downtown and w 7th). Also the lady renting to us has said we don't have to sign a lease just give 60 days notice. That works very well for us since we will be buying soon. It's not my loft but I am still very happy!

Thanks to everyone for you help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul