Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 09:39 AM

223 posts, read 524,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
The snow is beautiful when the sun sparkles on it, or when the moon shines and makes the world look like it's covered in diamonds.

The smell of woodsmoke drifting around on a below zero day.

Watching my cat try to dig for mice she can hear under the snow

The smug feeling I get when curled under several layers of blankets on my couch, with a hot cup of coffee in one hand, a book in the other, and watching a white out blizzard swirl outside my windows.

Ice storms....they're a pain in the butt, but they sure are pretty to look at when everythings covered in a layer of glistening ice the next day.

Making snow angels in the dark while staring up at the northern lights

Ice fishing with friends.....and the beer is always cold

Haven't done this in a while, don't have a woodstove anymore, but I'll go help my friends with their wood sometimes. The feeling of exhaustion, but simple pleasure at having it done, when you look at the massive pile of wood you just helped load and stack.

The tingly feeling when you're thawing from being outside just a little too long. Everybody looks better with a little red in their cheeks lol!
I love your post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 09:47 AM

865 posts, read 2,501,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarimn00 View Post
2. Snow shoveling is an awesome workout
3. Snow shoeing
4. A nice, soft snowfall that glistens at night
5. The way evergreens look full of snow.
6. Being able to wear my winter clothes and coats and boots
8. And oddly, I like to be cold more than I like to be hot, so the cold too.
I definitely agree with these! I hardly ever get to wear my wool shirts here in Portland -wife keeps asking when I'm going to get rid of them, as they take up closet space.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:51 AM

865 posts, read 2,501,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
You can watch the moon 12 months out of the year.

Anyway, how are any of these things positives?
Me thinks perhaps demtion included those things because they let you know you're alive. Being a little uncomfortable isn't necessarily a bad thing. If it was, none of us would ever exercise! Sadly, judging by the rise in obesity rates nationwide, many in the US apparently don't like being uncomfortable at all!

Old 09-17-2011, 04:19 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Thanks everyone for sharing!
Always good to get people thinking bout the positives instead of the negatives!

Old 09-17-2011, 05:02 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No creepy crawly things that can bite you and kill you
This is definitely a big plus for me, considering the East Side is notorious for its centipedes. We get them like crazy. Lately (last year in particular) we had a ton of Earwigs for the first time in my 30 years on this planet. They were beyond annoying - I'd rather have the 'pedes, to be honest. In the Winter, THEY ARE NIL. You just can't find them, or even the little brown and white spiders that bite are history for a good 6 months at least. Love it.

Also, everyone else pretty much got it nailed, but I think Prince said it just right in his bio when he said "cold keeps the bad people out." Mostly, I think he's pretty spot on about that. Although we get our share of crime in the TC, it's not nearly as bad as similarly sized American urban areas.

Playing hockey outside and keeping my beer in the snow. There is nothing more refreshing than an outdoor pickup game of stick. Flying through the cold wind, your freezing face, and all the phlegm that comes out as the crisp air cleans out your system. Cross country skiing. Getting inside after being so cold for so long. So much more to list, but it's generally been covered.

Last edited by Govie; 09-17-2011 at 05:12 PM..

Old 09-17-2011, 05:08 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Me thinks perhaps demtion included those things because they let you know you're alive. Being a little uncomfortable isn't necessarily a bad thing. If it was, none of us would ever exercise! Sadly, judging by the rise in obesity rates nationwide, many in the US apparently don't like being uncomfortable at all!
The irony of Minnesota cold and havaing to be in so often is that in Arizon they experience the same thing, only that it's 120 and you equally have to be inside to be "safe."

Old 09-17-2011, 07:18 PM

Yea i like the fact the cold keeps the bad people indoors. We do have crime but i believe were one of the safest major metro areas and the same time one of the coldest major metro area. That defiantly shows that cold keeps us safe

Old 09-18-2011, 02:50 PM
M74

46 posts, read 115,025 times
"The irony of Minnesota cold and havaing to be in so often is that in Arizon they experience the same thing, only that it's 120 and you equally have to be inside to be "safe."

/\ That post is spot on. We (Phoenix area) are supposed to be around 108 all this week. While you all a cooling down we are still heating up. I know it's all relative and your rough time is coming but you don't see a "what do ya love about summer" threads in the AZ forum. It's a "hang on until Thanksgiving and we'll finally be in the 70's" thread. Not to brag about that but we kinda miss out on the whole season change, fall/winter transition. I've lived in Denver, Boston and Pittsburgh and those seasons were always my favorite. Football, Hockey, Cider, Hot Chocolate, leaves changing and that crisp feeling and smell in the air letting you know your alive.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:29 PM

67 posts, read 149,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Mountain Biking
Snowshoeing
Sking
Ice Fishing
Sno Cat riding
Racing
Cross Country Ski Races
Hiking
Ice Climbing
Dream about summer time
Christmas
Quiet walks
Walking at night in the woods when its snowing
Campfires
Skating
Snowball fights for kids
Ice Castles
Ice Sculptures
Shoveling the driveway 5am so can get to work
Blizzards
Reading funny posts on CD on how brutal winter is
Feeding the birds in the yard
Watching the stars on a -20 night
THrowing warm water from a cup in the air when its -30 below
Going to plays
Having bonfire on the frozen pond while skating
Riding horses
Tubing
Sliding
Watching the moon
It gets dark at 5 pm
Dressing really for the occasion
Driving so you dont slide off the road
Helping someone after they get stuck
Shoveling the sidewalk
Walking the dog
Planning next summers camping trips
Catch up on workshop projects
Bringing in firewood
Having really cold toes
Not feeling your fingers after short time sometimes
Driving in Blizzards
geocaching
hunting
Driving on frozen lakes
Walking on frozen rivers
snoshoeing to HagMan Lake pictograpghs

Oh, and high heating bills but thats not a positive
John Beargrease Sled Dog Race
Really ^.^

Old 09-20-2011, 08:15 AM

One other thing i like is the Winter drivers. I find it fun watching people maneuver through obstacles and sadly i like watching the newbie drivers getting stuck lol. I think most Minnesotans are really good drivers in the Winter but there are a few who could use some tips

here are some videos for winter driving i found interesting

Winter Driving Tips on Braking - YouTube

Winter Driving Tips on Accelerating - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul