Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:54 AM

3 posts, read 12,217 times

Advertisements

After Having Not Liived In Minnesota For Some Time Now. I Am Concerned About The Disadvantges For Families And Would Like To Know What You Have Come Up Against And Do U Consider Leaving Mn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 03:18 PM

751 posts, read 1,179,461 times
I have seriously considered leaving Minnesota mainly because of high price of homes and the cold weather. Other than that, it is one of the best places to live in this country.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:43 PM

175 posts, read 731,485 times
While I am not moving, I think that the high taxes and cold weather would be the main reasons that people would leave.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:25 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,986,197 times
All that and maybe that it's hard to acquire real friends here unless you were born and/or raised here.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:17 PM

721 posts, read 2,611,245 times
Lillietta, I agree with the friends part, I have lived in many more places in the country, as well as abroad, that are much more welcoming to newcomers. The weather isn't always the only thing that is cold in Minnesota. I* also think that there is a culutuarl aspect to the "standoffishness" that can be attributed to Scandanavian heritage. Just an observation, no factual basis for that comment.

I agree the taxes are high but I don't mind payin high taxes for high quality service. Lately, the high quality servcice has not been so great. Mainly, I think people move because of the weather. We also have an ageing population that I think is seeking some sun.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:49 PM

58 posts, read 230,850 times
The weather is terrible, people are not welcoming to newcomers, high taxes are the highlights. You will hear a few people on this forum telling you otherwise, but that's because they lived in MN all their life and don't know what it's like to own a passport.

There are a few good things here, but not enough to keep me there.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:47 AM

12 posts, read 31,789 times
Im leaving very soon. The rent prices are ridiculous, the weather is terrible, crime is getting bad, not much holding me here

Old 10-21-2007, 12:09 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,905 times
I have lived in Minnesota for 4 years and was raised in Indiana. I love it here. I think Minnesota is far better than Indiana in many respects. Now mind you I've also lived in 11 other states and Europe and for me personally I have found Minnesota to be refreshing. I love the cold weather and overall climate. The people, while definitely Minnesota Nice, it is tough to find friends that haven't lived here all their lives. But truly that is almost anyplace you go. When we lived in Portland, Oregon we found the exact same thing...people who lived there forever and were not welcoming. It simply exists everywhere.

Now with all that said the only reason I would move from Minnesota is the outrageous housing costs and overally cost of living is expensive.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:57 PM

7 posts, read 49,299 times
I have been thinking about this for a while. I have been thinking about it mainly just to explore the country, see what other states are like, but a reason for me to leave here. High Taxes, horrible winters, crime is getting worse and no one is really doing anything about it. Fortunately I don't live in Minneapolis so I don't have to worry about the high rent.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:19 PM

571 posts, read 2,530,556 times
I left for a while when I was in my 20's, mostly just seeking something "different." As I got older, though, I realized that the grass isn't necessarily greener and anywhere you go will have its advantages and disadvantages.

I like where I am now, though (small town northern MN). It's pretty, peaceful, safe and it's not outrageously expensive to live here (though it did take my husband almost 3 years to find a job in his field.) Now that we're "established" though, I don't see us going anywhere for a long time. Sure, there are things about MN that annoy me and I still need to "get out" on vacation a couple times a year...but it's home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul