Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 07:11 PM

102 posts, read 468,282 times

Advertisements

MPLS is cheap....compared to the rest comparable cities....300-400k in the metro area will get you a VERY nice home....

here in rockville/bethesda,md 400k is a fixer upper 3bed/1 bath 550k to get something nice enough to really call home. 750k-1million not kidding to get what cost @ 500k in MPLS

heck luxury condos go for 1million+ starting price

moved here this past Feb. renting $1500 for a 2bed/2bath in a very average apt. nice apts. go for @2400+ and up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 07:16 PM

102 posts, read 468,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish40 View Post

Minnesota has a lot of nice amenities . . . . the people, I have found, are not one of them.
BS!!!

I have never run across people being unfriendly anywhere in MN except for maybe the I think I'm SOOOO COOOOL working at THE WEDGE, whatever. I've literally spent substantial time in every part of the state except SW MN.

Even being out here in the East....rudeness abounds I find pleasant people everywhere also. No problems getting directions, chatting up w/ someone at the playground, etc.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:26 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
Hmmm....the whole Minnesotans are great/Minnesotans are not so great debate needs to end (even though it never will, and you all know what I think).

Aside from that, can you people also please stop referring to how "cheap" or "expensive" a city is based solely on the cost of a home!

Old 11-02-2007, 07:28 PM

97 posts, read 326,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagira View Post
BS!!!

I have never run across people being unfriendly anywhere in MN except for maybe the I think I'm SOOOO COOOOL working at THE WEDGE, whatever. I've literally spent substantial time in every part of the state except SW MN.

Even being out here in the East....rudeness abounds I find pleasant people everywhere also. No problems getting directions, chatting up w/ someone at the playground, etc.
I think there is a big difference between native minnesotas and non-natives. I moved to MN to work for a fortune 500 company like many of my neighbors. All of them were very open and welcoming. Native Minnesotans not as much. All but one of my friends in Minnesota are non-natives. The nice thing is that as companies like General Mills, Supervalu, Best Buy and Target grow, there are more and more non-natives moving into the area, especially western burbs.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:27 AM

370 posts, read 903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy4sale View Post
Everyone always returns to Minnesota I am thinking of traveling also and eventually move back here.
This is one thing I'm noticing and that non-native Minnesotans in this forum should keep in mind. Most of the people "coming back to stay" in Minnesota are people that have an amount of "history" here. I see this outside the forum too.

We've recently moved here from Florida but I don't know if I'd want to end up here. That is, for people like my wife and I who won't go back to where we grew up (Florida & Ohio for her, New England for me) we'll probably make one more major move and it'll probably be out of this state. Probably, but things could change

Our son is in middle school years, is really making friends and fitting in perfectly. If he ever leaves he'll probably come back.

As always, consider the source when you get your info.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:17 PM

32 posts, read 75,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBreeze View Post
I left for a while when I was in my 20's, mostly just seeking something "different." As I got older, though, I realized that the grass isn't necessarily greener and anywhere you go will have its advantages and disadvantages.

I like where I am now, though (small town northern MN). It's pretty, peaceful, safe and it's not outrageously expensive to live here (though it did take my husband almost 3 years to find a job in his field.) Now that we're "established" though, I don't see us going anywhere for a long time. Sure, there are things about MN that annoy me and I still need to "get out" on vacation a couple times a year...but it's home
Yay! a post I agree with! I tend to like the outdoors, I love driving in snow, I like the look of freshly dusted pine trees lined along the windy roads after a snow...

if you live in the midwest, or even in the northern half (the Yankees) of the US, it's cold about three months out of the year. you have to wear a jacket. The fact that people blame Minnesota for being so cold is a bunch of hooey to me. North Dakota is cold, Michigan is cold, Wisconsin is cold. I'm sure vermont and new York get cold...

Turn on your heater. wear a long sleeve shirt/sweater.

I'm from Kansas now, I guess. been here about a year. moved here to be with my fiance. aside from the wonderful idea of being with her, Kansas is really really boring. Minimum wage is really low, Topeka is rundown and has a good amount of daily crime above misdemeanor status... My rent now isn't exactly "cheap" I pay 575 a month for a one bedroom in a decent part of town. That's not that much different than MN.

High taxes? on what? state tax is 7.5% in KS. only 6.5% in MN... Lots of new roads have been finished...

I guess it depends on "who you are" I'm from MN. I spent most of my life feeling like I was closed off from the world, and was happy to come to kansas if it meant changing my life and experiencing something different (plus being with the girl I love) and I gotta tell ya, It's not greener on this side. in fact, it's browner. the grass is rough, there aren't many trees, there's a lot more crime here...you have to PAY to swim in the lakes...

I could rant all day long. maybe it's cause I love Minnesota.

Ravie

Old 11-24-2007, 10:44 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,751,602 times
Let's not feed the trolls anymore, huh folks?

Please use the Report Post function instead. It's the quickest and most effecient method of ridding the forum of such pests.

Thanks.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:22 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,565,256 times
troll? You are seeing something that I am not.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:42 AM

137 posts, read 612,175 times
We're contemplating leaving the metro for far-flung northwestern Minnesota. The metro was great when we were a young couple; however, after having children, it seems like a different place. My biggest complaint is the constant shakedown for money-- anytime you want to do something, go somewhere, put your boat/canoe in the water, it is going to cost you! Life in the metro feels like one big raid on my wallet.
So, leaving Minnesota--no, there are nice places all over the state. Leaving the metro-- you betcha, don't cha know!

Old 11-25-2007, 08:51 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,236,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
troll? You are seeing something that I am not.
The trolling "long posts make me smarter than all of you" goose is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul