Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:41 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,760,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Below you'll find all Minneapolis neighborhoods sorted in order of the number of total serious crime offenses (robbery, agg assaults, burglary, larceny, auto theft, arson, and rape) for January of 2008 that came directly from MPD (highest to lowest). Contrary to popular belief and media perception, "Near North" neighborhoods aren't necessarily the most "crime-ridden"; I thought this was actually funny - all the press the my neighborhood got this month for the "spate" in high-profile crimes, and Victory made #32 on the list I believe (which is a lot higher than usual). Unfortunately I am unable to attach this list in its entirety (showing numbers of each individual crime for the month by neighborhood) but I'm sure you can find this somewhere on MPD's website - it was emailed to me by neighborhood asscn. i've also taken the liberty of notating all of the neighborhoods that are within the confines of north minneapolis.

Downtown West
Whittier
Jordan - North
Hawthorne- North
Central
Ventura Village
Cedar Riverside
Longfellow
Willard - Hay - North
Phillips West
Marcy Holmes
Lyndale
Elliot Park
Seward
Powderhorn Park
Corcoran
Steven's Square - Loring Heights
East Phillips
North Loop
King Field
Lowry Hill East
Midtown Phillips
Near - North - North
Folwell - North
Loring Park
McKinley - North
Webber - Camden - North
Hiawatha
Harrison - North
Prospect Park - East River Road
Diamond Lake
Victory - North
CARAG
Cleveland - North
Standish
Lowry Hill
Bryant
Sheridan
Wenonah
Holland
Linden Hills
Northrop
Shingle Creek - North
Windom Park
East Isles
Bottineau
Como
Downtown East
Lind - Bohanon - North
Logan Park
Sumner - Glenwood - North
Windom
Audubon Park
ECCO
Nicollet Island - East Bank
Tangletown
Waite Park
Bancroft
Ericsson
Field
Howe
Northeast Park
Page
Hale
Kenny
Mid - City Industrial
St. Anthony West
University of Minnesota
Armatage
Cooper
Keewaydin
Lynnhurst
Morris Park
St. Anthony East
East Harriet
Marshall Terrace
Regina
Bryn - Mawr
Fulton
Kenwood
Minnehaha
West Calhoun
Cedar - Isles - Dean
Columbia Park
Humboldt Industrial Area - North

cant find it on the website but I would like to see this. Can you upload it somewhere?

Whittier is the most densely populated neighborhood in Minneapolis, second being Stevens Square Loring Heights.

Why is Humboldt Industrial even on there? Its like...a few factories and a train yard.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:14 PM

44 posts, read 186,080 times
Default stop saying dumb ****

i dont give a damn about detroit. if north minneapolis is so safe move there with your family maybe somewhere between lowry and broadway. thats a very dangerous neiborhood. take a walk around the area when it gets dark with your wife and kids. i bet you get scared and if you dont then move there. who cares about detroit. certain areas of the northside have a murder rate over 5o murder per 100,000 thats bad its not the worst but its far from good. new orleans has a murder rate twice that of detroit so does that mean that detroit is good.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:36 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,830,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Camden, to make the data more valuable you should only include residential neighborhoods and divide the total crimes by the estimated 2007 population of each neighborhood. With the information you're using it's pretty obvious dense neighborhoods like Whittier are going to top the list.
I think I was pretty clear that I was going off of purely raw data with this post - of course if we're talking about per capita crime rate it would be necessary to divide the total crimes by estimated 2007 population, but shouldn't we also consider total land area of the neighborhood as well? - I personally would welcome this data as, to date, of all of the posts that I have seen on this forum that address the issue of crime in Minneapolis or St. Paul, I have not once come across any objective data/ links to data to support the arguments being made about specific neighborhoods.

Regarding the argument that Whittier is the densest neighborhood in Minneapolis, I disagree - if you consider total land mass of a neighborhood (which alone might do it) and add to that the mass underreporting of residency (due to various public housing requirements that only immediate family/ x amount of persons live in a unit) in neighborhoods that house the larger residential highrises, then Cedar-Riverside by far exceeds Whittier as being the densest neighborhood in the state. I used to live in Whittier, and although it has a soft spot in my heart, it consistently makes "top lists" of per capita crime in Minneapolis so I wouldn't think people would be too surprised by this.

And Downtown West has a relatively small population in comparison to most City neighborhoods (some of the above factors may come into play here) so it would not be considered "dense" in the traditional sense using population, but as it is a major thoroughfare/ junction point to go to north/ south/ east/ west areas of Mpls, this likely has a major impact on its crime rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael31681 View Post
i dont give a damn about detroit. if north minneapolis is so safe move there with your family maybe somewhere between lowry and broadway. thats a very dangerous neiborhood. take a walk around the area when it gets dark with your wife and kids. i bet you get scared and if you dont then move there. who cares about detroit. certain areas of the northside have a murder rate over 5o murder per 100,000 thats bad its not the worst but its far from good. new orleans has a murder rate twice that of detroit so does that mean that detroit is good.
Not sure if this was aimed at me or another poster, but you're right, there are certain areas (and times of day) that can be dangerous and get scary because of a lot of dumb s*** that goes on mostly with teenagers - and it's pretty well-known that there were a number of homicides in the area you reference above last year. And technically I do live in north minneapolis, but not the area you mentioned, and I have "walked at night" (sorry no kids) on many occassions from 2 different work locations in the (north) w broadway corridor.

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 02-06-2008 at 11:09 PM..

Old 02-06-2008, 11:05 PM

there is no "argument" about Whittier being the most densely populated, its fact.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:43 AM

539 posts, read 1,923,644 times
So has Minneapolis gotten its first homicide yet? I find it VERY hard to consider any city that goes three or four weeks without a single murder dangerous by ANYONE's standards. I think that's the point that people comparing Minneapolis are making - even if North Minneapolis is the worst part of the city it can't possibly compare to Detroit or Chicago. Minneapolis went like three weeks AT LEAST without a single murder! That's pretty damn safe if you ask me, especially when you consider that it's roughly the same size as Atlanta and St. Louis.

_

Old 02-07-2008, 04:20 PM

it waxes and wanes. Last year there was 4 within the first week of Jan.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:13 PM

98 posts, read 480,847 times
Michael31681, Minneapolis is nothing compared to Detroit, Period! I've been all over Minneapolis and it's nothing. I can say this because I lived in Minneapolis and St.Paul for over 8years and had never had no problem driving or walking around town, but, if you was to walk in Detroit or drive a nice car you are more likely to get robbed or shot for your stuff. Believe me you don't want to venture into one of Detroit's neighborhood when your're not from there or you're gonna get it for sure. My cousin got killed in "98" for doing a u turn in a wrong neighborhood.. Do people in Minneapolis get killed for that? You tell me!

Old 03-14-2008, 03:37 PM

82 posts, read 150,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdoty View Post
This must be an all Caucasian thread........if you have never lived there, you have no right to give your "OPINION"
Why you throwing salt man? Skin has nothing to do with knowledge. These people just don't live their, thats why they don't know stuff. Not because of their skin. Move to the south if your going to have that attitude. We don't rep that **** here man.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:40 PM

82 posts, read 150,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkue View Post
Michael31681, Minneapolis is nothing compared to Detroit, Period! I've been all over Minneapolis and it's nothing. I can say this because I lived in Minneapolis and St.Paul for over 8years and had never had no problem driving or walking around town, but, if you was to walk in Detroit or drive a nice car you are more likely to get robbed or shot for your stuff. Believe me you don't want to venture into one of Detroit's neighborhood when your're not from there or you're gonna get it for sure. My cousin got killed in "98" for doing a u turn in a wrong neighborhood.. Do people in Minneapolis get killed for that? You tell me!
Hence Minneapolis is a way tyter city than Detroit. In all respects. Unless you like getting your cousins killed.....

Old 03-15-2008, 02:19 PM

35 posts, read 54,358 times
minneapolis isnt a bad city, its hoods are weaker than most cities...thats a fact

yes there are killers with guns in Minneapolis but you can go to cities with 50k people and there are killers with guns also

minneapolis gets around 45 homicides a year on average and thats not even 1 a week. theres only been 6 so far this year thats a low number
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul