Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 10:03 AM

30 posts, read 86,159 times

Advertisements

Just paying attention to the trends that have been happening in the metro and you can certainly see that crime is spreading out past the city limits and there is a focus on building an urban core like in other larger metro areas.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:11 PM

321 posts, read 861,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdoty View Post
This must be an all Caucasian thread........if you have never lived there, you have no right to give your "OPINION"
Sorry to respond to an old post but it amazes me how American culture has evolved to the point where if you say bad things about people of certain races you're automatically pegged as racist and frowned upon, whereas if you say bad things about people of certain other races it's perfectly acceptable. This post is a prime example of that. If African-Americans collectively had been mentioned in a negative light, many people would be up in arms, but I think this poster only got one or two brief responses after mentioning Caucasians collectively in a negative light cause that's acceptable these days.

I think the races used to be reversed from that perspective, and that's equally bad (although it sounds like at the time it was much, much worse in terms of what was said and done), but the problem still exists it's just reversed...ideally I think people would be allowed to say anything about any race as long as it's based on reality and fair and not disrespectful. Most people of any race are great people but stereotypes are true for a reason that has nothing to do with looks or ancestry but has everything to do with culture and the history behind the way the different groups are living today. The history behind this is closely tied to race, but we can't say much about it because of the way our culture has evolved to define racism. Incidentally, I'm reading a book about the decline of St. Louis that relates to this. For what it's worth, based on what I've read so far, the real culprits (causing the problem) over the years have been the realtors, zoning laws, and competing suburban governments. The same general concepts are probably true but to a lesser extent in Minneapolis.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:50 PM

73,050 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
Sorry to respond to an old post but it amazes me how American culture has evolved to the point where if you say bad things about people of certain races you're automatically pegged as racist and frowned upon, whereas if you say bad things about people of certain other races it's perfectly acceptable. This post is a prime example of that. If African-Americans collectively had been mentioned in a negative light, many people would be up in arms, but I think this poster only got one or two brief responses after mentioning Caucasians collectively in a negative light cause that's acceptable these days.

I think the races used to be reversed from that perspective, and that's equally bad (although it sounds like at the time it was much, much worse in terms of what was said and done), but the problem still exists it's just reversed...ideally I think people would be allowed to say anything about any race as long as it's based on reality and fair and not disrespectful. Most people of any race are great people but stereotypes are true for a reason that has nothing to do with looks or ancestry but has everything to do with culture and the history behind the way the different groups are living today. The history behind this is closely tied to race, but we can't say much about it because of the way our culture has evolved to define racism. Incidentally, I'm reading a book about the decline of St. Louis that relates to this. For what it's worth, based on what I've read so far, the real culprits (causing the problem) over the years have been the realtors, zoning laws, and competing suburban governments. The same general concepts are probably true but to a lesser extent in Minneapolis.
There is a reason for stereotypes, it is a pathology about control. Let me explain. A person is taking a few things that people see in a few persons in that ethnic group and applying it to all of that ethnic group. It is also turning some cultural attributes and making a mockery of them, as a way to make people look bad. Why would someone do that? Control. Many people look for reasons to control people, to treat people badly, to discriminate. Many people uised stereotypes as an excuse to deny some people certain resoures, such as jobs and good housing. To put that in perspective, the housing market. If I, an African-American, get discriminated against in my quest for a home over some stereotype, that is another place someone else who isn't African-American can live. It is about control, controlling who gets what, treating someone as if they weren't an equal. Certain attributes of a culture are not stereotypes, they are just part of the culture.
The way I see it, another culprit for many things is the fact that bigotry has been going on the USA for a long time and in many cases the federal government didn't do much until the pressure was on them to do something.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,740 times
Wow. I came across this thread and Im very amused with what people wrote. I grew up in North Minneapolis and have spent most of my life there. There is a reason I left that place 8 years ago and it was the best decision I have ever made. North Mpls can really drain the life out of you. It can be a tunnel with out a light. I do agree to a certain point, if you don't get involved in a lot of the crap that goes around in there, you wont really notice it, but that is not always the case. I have been all over the world from Catania, Sicily, Queens, New York, Iraq, and I now live in Delaware. I must say some of the most awful things I have seen and heard of has been from back home on the North-side. Now, Im a law biding citizen that is presently serving our country, in the fact is North Mpls is no joke. Don't get me wrong, there are worst places, the truth is alot of things on the North Side that happen, Suburbia, the residents of Blaine, and the Star Tribune will never find out or know. Personally i think its better off that way. Sometime your just better of not knowing what happens on the other side of town.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:46 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,749,122 times
^ If you grew up in North Minneapolis then you know it's a big place and has a range of neighborhoods, then.

Watch out in Delaware, then; bad stuff goes on there, too. (but speaking of neighborhoods varying greatly within one city or part of city, I've never lived anywhere where things could change as fast in as short of a distance as it did when we lived in Wilmington.)

Old 02-22-2010, 12:10 AM

445 posts, read 1,345,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
There is a reason for stereotypes, it is a pathology about control. Let me explain.
I disagree and I think what you wrote is a classic example of the sort of academia-driven psychobabble that makes the broader world roll it's eyes.

Humans stereotype other humans because an essential part of what makes us human is our ability to compile fragments of data and resolve it all into a rough, relevant likelihood. A lot of what's come to be written off as 'stereotyping' is simply the same totally natural instincts that keep you from taking a leisurely stroll in the middle of a blizzard, or a dip in a raging river.

The reason people cross streets when confronted by a group of nine black teenagers walking in the opposite direction has nothing to do with some broader notion of 'control'. It has to do with odds.

The human condition is way too variant for *ALL* A's to be 1's or all B's to be 2's, however, it's entirely possible that B's are more likely to be 1's than A's, for whatever reason. This is the place in logic where a lot of 'stereotypes' are derived the undeniable truism that egalitarian types positively hate, simply because how the world "does" work violates against their broader notions of how the world "should" work, presuming said world were perfect.

We all agree that sweeping generalizations used to categorize an entire group of people are rarely accurate down to the bolts, however, there is a helluva lot more at-large truth to most 'stereotypes' than the stereotype-opponents would ever dare admit.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:59 PM

73,050 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
I disagree and I think what you wrote is a classic example of the sort of academia-driven psychobabble that makes the broader world roll it's eyes.

Humans stereotype other humans because an essential part of what makes us human is our ability to compile fragments of data and resolve it all into a rough, relevant likelihood. A lot of what's come to be written off as 'stereotyping' is simply the same totally natural instincts that keep you from taking a leisurely stroll in the middle of a blizzard, or a dip in a raging river.

The reason people cross streets when confronted by a group of nine black teenagers walking in the opposite direction has nothing to do with some broader notion of 'control'. It has to do with odds.

The human condition is way too variant for *ALL* A's to be 1's or all B's to be 2's, however, it's entirely possible that B's are more likely to be 1's than A's, for whatever reason. This is the place in logic where a lot of 'stereotypes' are derived the undeniable truism that egalitarian types positively hate, simply because how the world "does" work violates against their broader notions of how the world "should" work, presuming said world were perfect.

We all agree that sweeping generalizations used to categorize an entire group of people are rarely accurate down to the bolts, however, there is a helluva lot more at-large truth to most 'stereotypes' than the stereotype-opponents would ever dare admit.
That is what you think, and I really do not care. I am sticking to my gut. Why did people develop stereotypes in the first place? As a control mechanism, as a way to say "they are all like that, so we can treat them like crap". Control over someone else by using illogical thinking. The way things started out, it had very little to do with the odds. All I need to do is look at American history. The way some people think today is not that much varied from the old days. The only difference is that now the media perpetuates negative stereotypes. I am not saying some of the stuff on the news doesn't happen. What I am saying is that negative stereotypes kept getting played over and over, and for many people who don't live around Blacks, it is made very easy to give into stupid stuff like that.

If statement two is really the case, please explain how that would ever help me. How does it help me with someone else stereotyping me? This isn't a rhetorical question. I need an answer.

I never said egalitarian types looked at the world as a perfect place. I think they see all people as exactly this: human. Treating one ethnic group unfairly based on a stereotype isn't fair and goes against what democracy should be and what should have been in the first place in this nation. I am aware of the bad people that exist in every ethnicity. I am very aware of it. Does that mean I give into stereotypes about any ethnicity? No. I figure, if I have to watch one person, I watch all of them, regardless of race or ethnicity.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,098,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
That is what you think, and I really do not care. I am sticking to my gut. Why did people develop stereotypes in the first place? As a control mechanism, as a way to say "they are all like that, so we can treat them like crap". Control over someone else by using illogical thinking.
My gut tells me that it's more of a defense mechanism. A fear of anything or anyone who is different.

You see the same things related to ethnic identity and and religious affiliation in most parts of the world. It isn't just racial differences which bring the bad stuff out. In the Twin Cities, the uneasy feelings between some Somali immigrants and some black Americans might be a good example of that.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:21 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,157,802 times
If anyone tells you that north Minneapolis is "not that bad", then they are hosing you. Any sane person would avoid it like the plague.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:49 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,836,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
If anyone tells you that north Minneapolis is "not that bad", then they are hosing you. Any sane person would avoid it like the plague.
I guess that makes me insane. And an interesting post from someone that doesn't and probably has never lived here, and judging by other posts, seems to harbor a lot of "white pride" (advocating for whites only basketball league and white history month) and some pretty overt biases against minorities and gays in general...but your statement's probably not biased at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul