Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:54 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,839,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontbewillful View Post
I actually just bought my first home in Humboldt Industrial....there's a 1.5 block stretch between Victory Memorial and the trainyard that runs for about a mile. I love it there. I was tickled to see it at the very bottom of the list!
Hi dontbewillful- welcome to the neighborhood! Depending where you're at on that stretch, you would actually be in either Victory or Webber-Camden neighborhoods. If you are west of Newton Ave N, you are in Victory, east of it, you are in Webber-Camden. To my knowledge there aren't any actual houses in Humboldt Industrial (or other industrial areas), but regardless of which neighborhood you're in, you're correct in that you are in a very low-crime area in that stretch (and Humboldt Industrial virtually has no crime). One thing that's a bonus for that area is that a dog park will be opening just north of Osseo Road in the very NW corner of the Victory Neighborhood in Spring of 2009 which likely will be easy walking distance for you as it's just south of Humboldt Industrial/railroad tracks (it is currently a prairie-type area that is open to the public). In the future the hope is that it and the prairie area will be connected by trail to Ryan Lake going underneath the Osseo Road overpass.

Keep in touch- I may know of some resources you might be interested in if it turns out that you're in the Victory Neighborhood (neighborhood information, upcoming meetings/events, and I could even put you on the list to receive a neighborhood welcome packet)!

Old 10-31-2009, 05:50 PM

207 posts, read 799,573 times
Wow, is this really true? The 2002 statistic is a bit old, but still. Where did you find this information? I'm from Toronto and I feel reasonably safe here, however I do feel that for the size of the city it feels quite urban -- like a real big city but small. But I don't have much experience in American cities and make my comparison to Toronto. Most areas of Toronto feel safe. There are places to avoid, but that's easy because there's nothing to attract you to such areas anyway. I feel that it may be easier to wander into an unsafe neighbourhood here, but that is admittedly based on very limited experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar17 View Post
I seriously doubt that Toronto, the safest of all Canadian cities, has a higher crime rate then north Minneapolis. Toronto had a muder rate of 2.3 in 2002, compared to Minneapolis, whom had a muder rate of 12.3.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:20 AM

16 posts, read 35,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistacoolio20 View Post
Why you throwing salt man? Skin has nothing to do with knowledge. These people just don't live their, thats why they don't know stuff. Not because of their skin. Move to the south if your going to have that attitude. We don't rep that **** here man.

Why do some people from other parts of the US think the South wants racist people? Yes, the South tends to be more conservative than other areas. Yes, the South has racist people (they're everywhere) but that doesn't mean all racists should move here!! I'm mixed, have friends from numerous ethinic backgrounds, was raised in a mixed neighborhood, attended a mixed race school where different races associated with each other, and i've dated men of different races all while living in the South (Charleston to be exact)!! Don't send those people here, its much better without them. I don't mean to offend anyone but I was a little offended & felt the need to rant a little :-).

Old 11-08-2009, 12:46 AM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxdWithLuv View Post
Why do some people from other parts of the US think the South wants racist people? Yes, the South tends to be more conservative than other areas. Yes, the South has racist people (they're everywhere) but that doesn't mean all racists should move here!! I'm mixed, have friends from numerous ethinic backgrounds, was raised in a mixed neighborhood, attended a mixed race school where different races associated with each other, and i've dated men of different races all while living in the South (Charleston to be exact)!! Don't send those people here, its much better without them. I don't mean to offend anyone but I was a little offended & felt the need to rant a little :-).
I wouldn't say the South wants racist people, but it has a very vivid history and reputation for racism, and in many conservative areas, it seems more acceptable to be a racist. That is what have experienced. Black and white children might go to school together, but it doesn't mean everything is rosy. Some stuff lies below the surface and it comes out sometimes. At least that is my experience.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkue View Post
M504...Did you know that a lot of the Thugs and Gang members from Minneapolis are Transplant from Detroit and Chicago? I bet most are the muders in that city is attributed to those Transplant. When I was still living in Minnesota I met a lot of guys from my neighborhood in Detroit all scattered through out Minneapolis and St.Paul because they say it's easy money and no competion in Minnesota. The only ones are from the Chicago people. Detroit Boys, ask that to those Minnesota Boys and they know the deal. Them D boyz got things on lock in Minneapolis.
Interesting that you mention Chicago and Detroit. There in a Minnesota Public Radio documentary about African-Americans moving to the Twin Cities area. Many African-Americans moved from Chicago, Detroit, and other Midwestern cities to get away from the growing violence in those areas and many did find better lives in the Twin Cities area. Sadly, many gangs moved to the Twin Cities area from the same areas mentioned. Add crack to the equation and something like Murderapolis occurs. In fact, that is exactly what happened in 1995, when Minneapolis recorded more than 95 murders. Minneapolis has become much safer since then, especially this year.
Link:MPR: Moving Up, Part One
MPR: Moving Up, Part Two

Old 11-08-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I wouldn't say the South wants racist people, but it has a very vivid history and reputation for racism, and in many conservative areas, it seems more acceptable to be a racist. That is what have experienced. Black and white children might go to school together, but it doesn't mean everything is rosy. Some stuff lies below the surface and it comes out sometimes. At least that is my experience.

The point of my post was to show that racism is not just in the South, its everywhere & sending a racist person to the South won't accomplish anything because there will be another racist to take that persons place. I'm not interested in starting a History class so I won't focus on the "vivid history and reputation of racism" the South has. I'm one of the "Black" children that went to a mixed school (white, black, hispanic, asian) & everything was rosy (in my opinion). Many of the children I went to school with lived in or around my neighborhood. We spent the night to each other's homes, went to church together, partied together, etc. Our interactions weren't limited to school functions only. Some of them are still my friends to this day. This notion that blacks & whites don't get along or if they do its superficial is false. Maybe i'm one of the luck ones to have experience integration to that extent who knows? Being a product of an interracial marriage my parents made it their priorty to expose us to people of different races so they did.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxdWithLuv View Post
The point of my post was to show that racism is not just in the South, its everywhere & sending a racist person to the South won't accomplish anything because there will be another racist to take that persons place. I'm not interested in starting a History class so I won't focus on the "vivid history and reputation of racism" the South has. I'm one of the "Black" children that went to a mixed school (white, black, hispanic, asian) & everything was rosy (in my opinion). Many of the children I went to school with lived in or around my neighborhood. We spent the night to each other's homes, went to church together, partied together, etc. Our interactions weren't limited to school functions only. Some of them are still my friends to this day. This notion that blacks & whites don't get along or if they do its superficial is false. Maybe i'm one of the luck ones to have experience integration to that extent who knows? Being a product of an interracial marriage my parents made it their priorty to expose us to people of different races so they did.
I am aware the fact that racism exists everywhere. I think the history and the way things panned out across the USA varies. I lived in a diverse area(Marietta,GA, a suburb of Atlanta) and I didn't really have problems. I moved further out to Dallas,GA and I caught problems. I was just giving my own experience of high school. If I stayed in Marietta, it would have been a different story. Your experience was also different. It might have depended on some things.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:52 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,839,595 times
Quote:
I have read the transcripts of this before, but thanks for posting as it was interesting to read it in its entirety again- I don't there has been any significant change in the past 12 years or so, but I do think the core cities do still retain a special attitude (as spoken about by Bill Green in the story) and the cities do have a burgeoining black middle class. Thanks-

Old 11-08-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I have read the transcripts of this before, but thanks for posting as it was interesting to read it in its entirety again- I don't there has been any significant change in the past 12 years or so, but I do think the core cities do still retain a special attitude (as spoken about by Bill Green in the story) and the cities do have a burgeoining black middle class. Thanks-
You're welcome. I first found this article in the summer of 2004. I was getting sick of living in Georgia(I was a new high school graduate and I had some resentment towards living in Georgia). I was researching stuff about other states such as Colorado, Washington, and Minnesota. I came across this article because I was wondering how I would do in Minneapolis. In a way, I have a since of being proud, and being a bit cynical. I see some success and good things, but the ugly gets more attention than anything. My aunt moved to Minnesota from Louisiana sometimes in the 1970's and Mpls has been her home ever since. She is doing well there and many African-Americans have found success stories being in the cities. What makes me unhappy is the fact that gangs got in. Not only, this was during the crack epidemic. Mpls came out of it strong, but it hit the TC area like an freight train. I definitely will keep Mpls in mind when I decide on where to move to when I graduate from college.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I am aware the fact that racism exists everywhere. I think the history and the way things panned out across the USA varies. I lived in a diverse area(Marietta,GA, a suburb of Atlanta) and I didn't really have problems. I moved further out to Dallas,GA and I caught problems. I was just giving my own experience of high school. If I stayed in Marietta, it would have been a different story. Your experience was also different. It might have depended on some things.

I'm not too familiar with GA, i've been to ATL a few times to shop & that was it. I think the bigger a city/town is the better things are. My grandparents lived in a small town outside of Columbia, SC for a long time, the segregation there is something else. Its like stepping back into the 60s!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul