Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 07:40 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Funny, this is where we primarily shop too when we're not going to Aldi or a specialty store. Seems like half the people on this board are practically neighbors.
I think that's why we tend to be polite when we disagree on something, more so than in other C-D forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 07:00 PM

329 posts, read 459,968 times
Well, it seems that a City-Data BBQ would be in store for neighboring City-Data folks.
Seriously though! You guys can instant message each other!

As for me, I'm farther away in the country, and kind of prefer being incognito online. But then again it's easier to meet people in a smaller town.

Funny- I just asked my husband to do a grocery store run and he absolutely refused to go to Cub Foods. We pretty much equate Cub with the plague or something. It's so awful, the Eagan one has caused like horrible flashbacks for us. It's like unless we absolutely need some kind of produce we refuse to go to Cub, our experience was THAT BAD.

Sad, but then Super Wal-Mart benefits and we really enjoy shopping there so much more.

Last edited by Sunbrite; 06-19-2017 at 07:10 PM..

Old 06-20-2017, 12:31 AM

178 posts, read 346,970 times
We've finally settled into a routine here and go mostly to Cub for basics. In CA there is a Trader Joe's every 5 feet so we are used to that, but will try Aldi now that I'm hearing their produce is pretty good.

The Cub at 60th and Nicollett is pretty well stocked for basics we need with good prices. We've also found the staff to be helpful.

Lakewinds or Seward for spices, meats, cheese. We also get meat from Andale Mercado and Mi Ama Grocery. Good prices and quality has always been great.

Occasionally Hy-Vee as well. Great deli section there.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:41 PM

510 posts, read 371,062 times
Aldi has smaller selection than most grocery stores. If item is unbranded or unknown brand, quality may be unknown. I heard they now have some coded package info. Maybe 2 checks if product is made by big company. Aldi is expanding, they just added a store in my suburb of 50K. Aldi starting wage is $10-$12 depending on area. Not sure about drug testing policy, which I mention as 1/4 of males 15-24 use cannabis, which would involve rejecting good workers.

Cub doesn't drug test and starts pay above minimum wage with increases for long-time employees. Some good sales, but most prices somewhat higher than cheapest competitor.

Walmart drug tests & offers part-time minimum wage (owns employees 24/7). They have cheap prices on some things, not everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
So I just recently discovered Aldi and it amazes me how much we're able to save on groceries compared to buying at Cub, Target, Lunds, Kowalskis. Yes they do sell a few inferior products here and there (don't go near the breakfast cereal, blech), but for the basic staples there is nothing close from a price standpoint. I'm wondering why more people don't shop there? Are people choosing to shop at Cub because they're getting sucked in by the gas discount? I really don't get it. If we shop at Aldi for a whole year I'm estimating our annual grocery savings to be a few thousand dollars.

Last edited by GWTJ; 06-25-2017 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: readability

Old 06-25-2017, 08:27 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
Aldi has smaller selection than most grocery stores. If item is unbranded or unknown brand, quality may be unknown. I heard they now have some coded package info. Maybe 2 checks if product is made by big company. Aldi is expanding, they just added a store in my suburb of 50K. Aldi starting wage is $10-$12 depending on area. Not sure about drug testing policy, which I mention as 1/4 of males 15-24 use cannabis, which would involve rejecting good workers.

Cub doesn't drug test and starts pay above minimum wage with increases for long-time employees. Some good sales, but most prices somewhat higher than cheapest competitor.

Walmart drug tests & offers part-time minimum wage (owns employees 24/7). They have cheap prices on some things, not everything.
Aldi starting wage is actually $14/hr

Old 06-26-2017, 06:23 AM

Long time Hy-Vee lover and Cub foods hater here......

I live right across from one of the new Hy-Vee stores and certainly don't shop there weekly, maybe 1-2 times a month. But I have to say, the SD and IA stores I used to visit, while they weren't as nice and new, were much cheaper. I kid you not when I say that I honestly think that Hy-Vee is now more expensive than Lunds & Bylerlys. I never walk out spending less than $200.

And I've long hated Cub, who has taken advantage of Twin Cities grocers for decades, with there ugly warehouse style stores and no baggers.......

But I recently had to run into a Cub (as I was next door and needed a few things). This is a "renovated" Cub to compete with the Hy-Vee (store looks the same as it always did to me???) so I was curious to check it out. I have to say, they had some crazy low prices on produce in an effort to win customers back. Grapes were $.99/lb as where nice Honeycrisps (both $2.99/lb at Hy-Vee). They also carried some things I haven't been able to find there.

I will never be a couponer, and I still enjoy the atmosphere of Hy-vee and also hate Cubs atmosphere. I did not enjoy bagging my own groceries now that I have a "helpful" 4 year old to help with the task. But I do feel like Hy-Vee has pushed the price boundaries a bit too far...

Old 06-26-2017, 08:34 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
One can truly save money by buying Cub's Private Brands: Wild Harvest (Organic and Free From), Essential Everyday, Super Chill, Stone Ridge (Ice Cream), Arctic Shores (Frozen Seafood), Farm Stand (Produce), Equaline (Over the Counter Meds & Personal Care), Culinary Circle (Premium Foods) and Shoppers Value (Deep Discounts).

These aren't generic bands they are equal or better than the national brands.

Using CUB Rewards card, you can save big on Gas - 10 cents off per gallon for every 100 dollars spent at CUB when filling up at Holiday Stations.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
One can truly save money by buying Cub's Private Brands: Wild Harvest (Organic and Free From), Essential Everyday, Super Chill, Stone Ridge (Ice Cream), Arctic Shores (Frozen Seafood), Farm Stand (Produce), Equaline (Over the Counter Meds & Personal Care), Culinary Circle (Premium Foods) and Shoppers Value (Deep Discounts).

These aren't generic bands they are equal or better than the national brands.

Using CUB Rewards card, you can save big on Gas - 10 cents off per gallon for every 100 dollars spent at CUB when filling up at Holiday Stations.
I know for a fact that Stone Ridge Ice Cream is manufactured by Kemps

Old 06-26-2017, 01:54 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I know for a fact that Stone Ridge Ice Cream is manufactured by Kemps
And I could say you're right.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:41 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Just read that Hy Vee is taking on several major projects across the corporation, including plans to build one of three Hy Vee eCommerce fulfillment centers in the Twin Cities in the next few years (the two other locations being Kansas City and Omaha):

Hy-Vee details massive projects in face of changing grocery landscape | Business - Local News | wcfcourier.com

And, they just picked up a sponsorship for the Timberwolves, Lynx and Wolves' Iowa-based minor league affiliate (did not know that was a thing):

After dropping Royals, Hy-Vee will sponsor Minnesota Timberwolves

Looks like Hy Vee is stepping it up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul