Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:01 AM

297 posts, read 841,570 times

Advertisements

They say ignorance is bliss...

I suppose that is why some who have probably never stepped foot in the area want to call it bad. If all you know is what you see on the news...then you don't know much.

I am a Minnetonka resident. I spend time in Minneapolis. North, South, NE. The only area I don't frequent is SE (University) area. What you need to understand is having a dangerous area in the city affects the ENTIRE community as a whole. Even the nice, safe 'burbs. What you SHOULD be doing is working to make our entire community safer. Get involved instead of having that "not in my backyard" mentality.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,607 times
Arrow Community involvement

I've read a lot of posts in this thread, and I see a high percentage of negativity and hopelessness, anger and fear.

If you see the problem as "them" versus "us" you will probably continue to exclude people who have different backgrounds from yours.

I've been really lucky, having grown up middle-class, graduated from college, had some wonderful jobs, and now retired. I volunteer in a school, and that helps me know people who have had different lives; they struggle to pay their bills, and they must buy second-hand winter jackets and boots for their children.

I wish you would consider looking at North Minneapolis, and ask, "How can I help?" If you have been so lucky as to have both parents in your home when you grew up, maybe you can volunteer for Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or be a mentor, or an assistant coach, or assistant librarian.

We are really all in this together.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 7,815 times
Icy River Vagabond
Really??
In fact I am concerned with all of those things mentioned. However, the rest of those, besides car accidents are all within my control. My guess, and I may be wrong, is that you don't live anywhere close to North. So, I will just consider your comment as irrelative considering a lack of actually making a point.
As far as volunteering I think that Schlomo is absolutely right. The more people we can bring into the neighborhoods the better. Community involvement and education can only improve any area. Problem is there aren't enough people willing yet. Most are leaving. You don't have to trust me about what it is like, as some statements above might prove. However, if you spend time...not just drive through.....or think you know about; I mean move into or work in the 4th Precinct area you won't know what it is like. http://www.4thprecinctcare.org/ read the news that comes from this area. Spend time there and see what kind of views you have at that point.
Until that point consider your comments and the validity of them. Speak to the things that you know and don't assume that because you have an unsubstantiated view, the rest of us should listen to you.

Last edited by Minwillsota; 05-11-2007 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: finished thought

Old 05-11-2007, 04:56 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Volunteering is easier said than done. I volunteered as an English teacher for underprivelaged kids in a town in Mexico for a year in 2004-2005 and I'm still trying to recover from the experience financially. Besides participating in one day events like the Minnesota AIDS walk, etc. I don't see myself making any big volunteer sacrifices for a minimum of 10 years.

I would agree that volunteering shows that you care and that every little bit helps but the northside isn't going to recover with volunteer-work. It needs much more than that. We need passed legislation, significant funding from the county and state and some major rehabilitation. Without this the area will continue to deteriorate. As I've learned from my experience as a volunteer, volunteer-work is pointless without structure, organization, and LOTS of support.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:06 PM

312 posts, read 1,638,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I'm just as sick of the degenerates living there as everyone else. While managing a drugstore in Plymouth I would have to deal with these northside stragglers getting off the bus and robbing the store...
Is Plymouth not a good area? My family has plans to move there.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:41 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
That was really the only bad thing I have to say about Plymouth. I worked overnights at a drugstore right off the freeway and main busroutes so there was no avoiding occasional riffraff. It's a good suburb though. Normally very quiet with friendly residents.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:53 PM

195 posts, read 1,079,885 times
minwilsota... yes... REALLY!!!!!

Old 08-20-2007, 11:44 PM

15 posts, read 53,505 times
Great point re volunteer work being (nearly) pointless without structure, organization and policies. I think it's good for all us volunteers to remember that (so we don't just think we're done with our good deed of volunteering). Excellent point.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:43 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
/\ think they meant Plymouth Avenue.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:34 AM

157 posts, read 716,052 times
Pournig vast amounts of $ into the northside won't make it better. The good people who used to live there have long since moved to St Louis Park and Southwest Bryn Mawr. Take a look at photos back in the 20s and 30s of the Northside. Was really a thriving place to live back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul