Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 03:08 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,395,681 times

Advertisements

Only pouring vast amounts of money in the northside won't make it better, but it'll be necessary for rehabilitation projects there. The place is in dire need of investors. Take a look at the foreclosure numbers there right now? They are off the charts.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:26 AM

1,936 posts, read 5,840,820 times
Default to: minwillsota

Minwillsota, have you ever actually lived, worked, or spent more than a drive-by yourself in North Minneapolis? I have worked in the 4th precinct for over 2 years now, and lived (rented and now own) in several Camden neighborhoods. I know architects, teachers, public officials, and retirees that live in the 4th precinct. I work for a non-profit community center in the 4th precinct so on a daily basis I get to meet and know dozens of North Minneapolis residents. There are great people and many great things going on in North Minneapolis. Yes there are some problems in several neighborhoods related to youth violence, gang involvement, drugs, unemployment, etc. that should not be overlooked and need to be addressed; but to make broad sweeping generalizations about such a large geographic area is ridiculous and ignorant. I have never felt unsafe nor been the victim of crime while living or working in North Minneapolis, quite the contrary - I can't say that this is the case in other neighborhoods of Mpls that I have lived/ worked in that are considered much trendier/ upscale areas of the city.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:54 AM

157 posts, read 716,869 times
{sinister Music Up And Fade For...}

{on Echo Mic}

Anncr: The Northside! They Creep By Night!

{echo Mic Off}

Anncr: These Are Real Stories About The Cesspoool Called "north Minneapolis."

Northside Resident: I've Been In This Here House For Nigh Onto 20 Years. And Can Tell You Stories About The "creepers" That Will Will Make Your Hair Curl.

[sound Of Person Clicking Off Radio]

Old 08-22-2007, 06:01 AM

157 posts, read 716,869 times
Ha! Can't do all caps script on this board. Alas! Quelle domage!

Old 08-27-2007, 02:00 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,425,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I'm under the impression that the state, to a significant degree, helped to import some of the Chicago, Milwaukee, Gary, and Detroit ghetto to Minnesota by offering generous welfare benefits. I remember reading stories about welfare families relocating to the Twin Cities in the hopes of better welfare support.

A family of two people on MFIP (AFDC) in Minnesota receives $437 per month & somewhere around $150 in FoodSupport. While that is greater than many other communities - trust me on this - no one is getting rich off that amount of money.

Minnesota does have far greater support in place for those in more financial needs - whether that be food shelves or agencies that help folks get more education, transportation, or what not. But, Minnesota also has the 5 year max on "welfare" benefits just as much of the country does now. If folks don't comply with the rules they are sanctioned (by getting their monthly benefits gradually reduced to ZERO). They are required to participate in self-sufficiency programs of one sort or another.

Furthermore, most states now have policies in place that dictate if you move to that state from another while receiving benefits, you must continue at the rate of the previous state for something like 6 months - which is intended to deter folks from moving to get more money / benefits.

Last edited by think.reciprocity; 08-27-2007 at 02:24 AM..

Old 08-27-2007, 02:20 AM

Lightbulb Not So Minnesota-Nice After all, eh?

My God... To read your post turns my stomach. A wasteland? OMG... How utterly offensive. I have lived in practically every area of Minneapolis - the Northside included. There is no doubt that it, and several other areas of Minneapolis, is plagued with 'challenges'. At one point the Phillips neighborhood had a higher infant mortality rate than some third world nations. I lived in Kingfield neighborhood in the mid 90's during the summer it was named "Murderapolis". A man was shot dead in my backyard. I would have lived in any area of the Northside over that area in South Mpls in a heartbeat.

I've also lived in the Uptown / Lake of the Isles neighborhood, Seward, Longfellow, etc - some of the "best areas" in Minneapolis. Truth be told - for various reasons - lifestyle mostly - Uptown is by far my favourite. But, I in no way see the Northside or the people who call it home a "wasteland". There are programs out of North High that are phenomenal & many many dedicated folks who live & work there who are contributing to building up a strong sense of community.

I am personally offended that anyone would consider an entire area of people to be a wasteland - guess this speaks to the whole illusion of "diversity" & "Minnesota-Nice" - let's just call it what it really is - folks are easily ready to call this area a wasteland because predominantly the people who live there are people of colour. There isn't anything "Nice" about racist thinking - but in Minnesota "we" cloak it in language such as I have read on this post.

Now, that's my 50 cents worth...

Old 08-27-2007, 11:34 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,395,681 times
The fact that you make the blind assumption that the reference to a neighborhood as being a wasteland has any racial implications is pretty idiotic on your part. My opinion was based on the fact that I looked at several homes for sale in Jordan and Near-North last winter and my experiences were pretty awful. I never had any idea that finding a home with the presence of copper plumbing could be so difficult. I didn't know a whole lot about the area at the time except that there were houses there I could actually afford. Being a recent grad who spent a year doing volunteer-work in Mexico, I am obviously on a tight budget. My 2004 W4 income was $0. Anyways, I started doing alot of research on different neighborhoods in Minneapolis, (it has become somewhat of an obsession of mine) and the data I've found about that area is alarming. Ask yourself this, what percentage of the city's homicides this year happened in the 4th precinct? I'm not speaking on behalf of the entire precinct, but decent chunks of area could probably afford to be plowed over and rebuilt.

Also, it isn't something I'd be quite ready to make a generalization on but the handful of people I do happen to know from that area are low-lifes and degenerates. I can tell you countless stories about Northside resident tomfoolery that happened in a drugstore I managed the overnight shift from February 2006-February 2007. Some were white, some were black, race makes no difference...it's a diverse area anyways so I don't understand how that could even be brought up.

Finally, the Minnesota-nice thing needs to drop. It's really annoying to see the same people who bash people for generalizations turn around and start saying Minnesota-nice this and Minnesota-nice that. That isn't a generalization is it? oh...crap

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 08-27-2007 at 11:43 PM..

Old 08-27-2007, 11:57 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,570,354 times
think.reciprocity, thank you for sticking with the city. When this was Murderapolis, when Crack was King, you stayed and I assume tried to make your city a better place.
Alot of people who complain about the Northside don't realize how close this city was to collapse. Now Phillips crime is down and the area is being reinvested in, even the Northside seems to be better (I am more worried about foreclosures than murder). Camden housing stock is 75% owner occupied.
/\ Slig said that "decent chunks of area could...be plowed over". (I don't know if that was meant literally) Your intentions are good and I agree with your other comments, but history taught us that urban renewal doesn't work like that. Scum will eventually move out to Brooklyn Park, but if you bulldoze things they will take a good stock of old buildings, neighborhood commercial areas, old Jewish Synagogues, that dress shop on Boradway, the Capri theater with them. I won't let them do that.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
think.reciprocity, thank you for sticking with the city. When this was Murderapolis, when Crack was King, you stayed and I assume tried to make your city a better place.
Alot of people who complain about the Northside don't realize how close this city was to collapse. Now Phillips crime is down and the area is being reinvested in, even the Northside seems to be better (I am more worried about foreclosures than murder). Camden housing stock is 75% owner occupied.
Thank YOU - and yes, I have dedicated a great deal of time & effort to strengthening & renewing this wonderful community of ours. Volunteering & dedicating your time & efforts to the greater good of all is a reward in itself. If everyone did just a little - we'd all be a whole lot better off. After all, as cliche' as it may be - it really does take a village to raise the children. We no longer accept nor realize our responsibility to be our brother's keeper. Thankfully, some of us haven't forgotten - nor have we lost faith, hope, belief in the process.

Peace & Blessings...

Old 08-28-2007, 11:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,969 times
Idk iv never been to detroit before but idk the reputation is far worse then it actully is

Honostly you have nothing to worry about except the kids and highschollers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul