Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 04:22 PM

4 posts, read 10,391 times

Advertisements

Hi, first time ever posting here! Great forum from what I've seen so far.

I lived in North Minneapolis for two years. For about a year, I was a staunch defender of the area -- nice neighbors, affordable housing, etc.

However, after having my house and car broken into (the house was actually "walked" into while 4 people and a dog were right outside), someone randomly shot on my block, and receiving constant fliers about an ongoing rash of crimes where people were attacked, mugged or even kidnapped while walking from their cars to their houses, I decided it was time to leave. Also, the crime there is not all "gang on gang." I particularly remember one case when a couple on their way home from working at McDonald's was shot in cold blood. It felt like most of the murders that happened in Mpls. were within 1/2 mile of where I lived.

I feel like I failed in some ways, but I noticed after I moved to a quieter area how much better I felt, I could almost physically feel the relief, no longer afraid in my own home. Whether or not I "should" have felt afraid, as some people have criticized me for, is irrelevant -- I couldn't help it. And it wasn't from evening news hype about the horrors of North Mpls. -- I don't and didn't then watch TV. Despite my user name, I'm female -- maybe if I was a man it would be different, but I don't really think so.

I don't know what the solution is. "Gentrifying" the neighborhood by attempting to "plow it under" and build, I don't know, condos and Starbuck's, will only push people to another area, as has been stated. And there's way too much of that going on around the Twin Citites. Homeownership helps, but not when many are later threatened with foreclosure because of band lending/borrowing practices. Naive as it is, I guess my roommates and I felt that the addition of our respectable presence was our small contribution. I still think that's a step, and I'm sorry I wasn't strong enough.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:36 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,565,866 times
Where exactly did you live on the Northside SpinyNorman?

Old 08-30-2007, 05:12 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,424,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinyNorman View Post
Hi, first time ever posting here! Great forum from what I've seen so far.

I lived in North Minneapolis for two years. For about a year, I was a staunch defender of the area -- nice neighbors, affordable housing, etc.

However, after having my house and car broken into (the house was actually "walked" into while 4 people and a dog were right outside), someone randomly shot on my block, and receiving constant fliers about an ongoing rash of crimes where people were attacked, mugged or even kidnapped while walking from their cars to their houses, I decided it was time to leave. Also, the crime there is not all "gang on gang." I particularly remember one case when a couple on their way home from working at McDonald's was shot in cold blood. It felt like most of the murders that happened in Mpls. were within 1/2 mile of where I lived.

I feel like I failed in some ways, but I noticed after I moved to a quieter area how much better I felt, I could almost physically feel the relief, no longer afraid in my own home. Whether or not I "should" have felt afraid, as some people have criticized me for, is irrelevant -- I couldn't help it. And it wasn't from evening news hype about the horrors of North Mpls. -- I don't and didn't then watch TV. Despite my user name, I'm female -- maybe if I was a man it would be different, but I don't really think so.

I don't know what the solution is. "Gentrifying" the neighborhood by attempting to "plow it under" and build, I don't know, condos and Starbuck's, will only push people to another area, as has been stated. And there's way too much of that going on around the Twin Citites. Homeownership helps, but not when many are later threatened with foreclosure because of band lending/borrowing practices. Naive as it is, I guess my roommates and I felt that the addition of our respectable presence was our small contribution. I still think that's a step, and I'm sorry I wasn't strong enough.
I absolutely respect your perspective & identify with it. I lived in south mpls during the year of "murderapolis" & adored my neighbors & neighborhood. I volunteered in the area & worked on neighborhood issues. I believed that my presence was a meaningful contribution (along with the other volunteering that I did). I still believe that solid role models must be present in the more 'challenged' neighborhoods to help lead by example.

Spent many years living in that area of south & also around 22nd & Emerson north. I believe in the same things now that I believed in & stood behind then. I had a man shot dead in my backyard & a few weeks later another child offered my 3rd grade son a crack pipe. I looked around me & realized that I no longer saw the light at the end of the tunnel & I HAD to get out. That my personal/emotional/spiritual survival depended upon it.

I was fortunate. I had the luxury/ability to get out when I felt I must. Many others in similar situations have no viable "out". The reality of living an area that is filled with such major challenges is tough. No one who has not been faced with that sort of "energy" around them constantly can understand the sense of hopelessness that can develop.

We are in the land of opportunity but seeing & striving for those various opportunities when drowning in the lowest tier of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs does not seem like much of a likelihood.

I bailed. I still contribute in other ways. I confess that while I live in a not so appealing area of Crystal right now - I don't see myself ever moving (by choice) in another area facing such heavy degree of an "uphill struggle" again. I'd live in a small studio apartment in another area first. I may contradict myself on some levels with this topic, but I happen to be recovering from great loss & personal injury right now & simply cannot add more to my plate.

I often find myself saying now that I have "paid my dues" in the developing areas & just won't do it again. I can see myself, however, at a point when I am stronger myself - moving to an area such as New Orleans & teaching while contributing to the rebuild. I dream of being in that place of strength again. But, until then - I'll just stand over here lending my support & encouragement to those who are "fighting the good fight" - because I believe in the development of these areas & I believe in their value. I just may no longer be the one with the ability to actively contribute to the cause (other than my thoughts, prayers, & such).

I wish I were stronger too.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:28 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,525,693 times
ghetto all the way baby.

Poor kids that grow up there.

Alot of relocated gangs from Chicago end up there.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:10 PM

4 posts, read 10,391 times
I was actually in a pretty borderline area of North -- just a little (like a block) north and west of Penn and Lowry. East and south of Penn and Lowry it was clearly worse, plus west of me was the parkway, which is a whole different world.

I do feel for people who can't leave. And I did choose to live in a tiny studio somewhere else, and I'm so happy I did. I didn't fully realize how much it was affecting me to live there until I left. Like I said, right or wrong, I was scared -- maybe not terrified, but nervous at the very least -- almost all the time. And I've never been one of those jumpy chicks -- I lived alone for years before moving there and have always been far more afraid of ghost stories than people.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:27 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,424,473 times

Back then, I don't recall ever consciously feeling scared or nervous. But, I agree completely about how differently I felt once I moved - which gave me incredible empathy for those who have no way to leave. I felt like I was almost reborn in some ways & that a weight was lifted off me. I didn't know how bad a was feeling until I started feeling that good - all the time. It was often just small, seemingly insignificant things that became a "given" in the new areas, but the opposite was a "given" in the old neighborhood. Those who "have" (whatever that "have" may be) often take for granted that everyone else "has" the same thing (or ready access to it) & those who "have not" experience two things: 1. the sense of "given" that's THIS (I think that "THIS" is that sense of unrest & lack of "peace") is simply what life is like; 2. the almost inability to see their way out of the former.

Yes, generalizations. But, generalizations that have validity.

All the best to you...

Old 10-08-2007, 01:25 PM

98 posts, read 481,096 times
I'm from Detroit, but have lived in Minneapolis until recently. I can honestly tell you guys that North Minneapolis is not as bad as you have it to be, but to be fair it's bad to to the people from Minnesota. However, coming from the Streets of Detroit, man, minneapolis just don't compare to Motown in terms of high crime and believe me it's nothing good about your town being bash all the time like Detroit, yet the truth be told, Detroit is a very violent city and until you lived and survived here you will never understand when I say that Minneapolis is nothing like Detroit.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:43 PM

138 posts, read 627,738 times
I agree with you, Icy. I lived in Detroit, as well. I sell houses in north Minneapolis and feel much more safe there than I would anywhere in Detroit. You just basically have to know what you're doing when you go to "north". In addition, there are many nice people that live there that have jobs, keep up their homes and care about the community. I hope that this upcoming auction on foreclosed homes helps to boost the area a bit. I know my clients are doing their part to refurbish the area. They rehab some of the most rundown and boarded up homes in the city. In just a few short months, the homes are back on the market for a family to purchase. My clients make money and the community is in better shape. It's a win-win. I see that trend continuing, now that we've shaken up the shady tactics of some of the more unscrupulous mortgage lenders. Hopefully, there will be a lot less foreclosures down the road.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:03 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
Does anyone know anything about those three bars on or near the intersection of Washington Ave and W Broadway? I'm curious to know about them.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:37 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,763,988 times
You mean BJs, Johnny A's, Irvs, and Haleks? They're heaven on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul