Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:56 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Where do you live that people don't have landscaped yards? Almost every house on our block has exactly what you outlined-edging, bark (or rock) with interesting arrangements. No, they aren't fancy but they are certainly nicer looking then anything I have seen in Arizona. Here is one example from my back yard:

Great photo, and I agree that you see a bunch of yards like this in MN depending where you are located. As far as comparing it to AZ, again not exactly apples to apples. My mother has a very nice yard in AZ, but it has cacti, palm trees, rocks and a trickle irrigation system. Very nice in a different way. In my opinion, not a matter of better or nicer, just an example that people in both places spend time and effort to make the home a special place.

I wondered as well where exactly in MN you can't find help with landscaping and fuel tanks in the yard are common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Great photo, and I agree that you see a bunch of yards like this in MN depending where you are located. As far as comparing it to AZ, again not exactly apples to apples. My mother has a very nice yard in AZ, but it has cacti, palm trees, rocks and a trickle irrigation system. Very nice in a different way. In my opinion, not a matter of better or nicer, just an example that people in both places spend time and effort to make the home a special place.

I wondered as well where exactly in MN you can't find help with landscaping and fuel tanks in the yard are common.
I'm in a semi-rural area of northern minnesota. You'd be shocked how many shabby yards you see....some even surprisingly with newer homes.

Obviously this landscaping subject is a "thing" with me for whatever reason. It started early with me threatning to spread fertilizer on my parents lawn to improve the grass. All my dad ever said was "don't you dare....we'll have to mow it more often". Sooooo....I was off and running early :-)

Oh well, all I can control is my own lawn which we have a lot of pride in....to each their own I guess.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I'm in a semi-rural area of northern minnesota. You'd be shocked how many shabby yards you see....some even surprisingly with newer homes.

Obviously this landscaping subject is a "thing" with me for whatever reason. It started early with me threatning to spread fertilizer on my parents lawn to improve the grass. All my dad ever said was "don't you dare....we'll have to mow it more often". Sooooo....I was off and running early :-)

Oh well, all I can control is my own lawn which we have a lot of pride in....to each their own I guess.
The rural deal is a different deal. People have more land to take care of, less rules to deal with, and a fair amount of natural stuff in place. Here is my lot up North. I try to keep it simple, but nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Why are Minneapolis area mansions so bland?-stainedcabin.jpg  

Old 01-15-2009, 10:58 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Hey acstar, here's some Lake Minnetonka homes you might be interested in:

(the owners of this one ship in a fresh batch of palm trees every spring)

nice pics, but the second one clearly has the ocean behind it. Not sure that is in Minnesota

Last edited by sfw1979; 01-15-2009 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-15-2009, 11:02 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
There's a good chance that is Lake Minnetonka, not the ocean.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:20 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,233,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
There's a good chance that is Lake Minnetonka, not the ocean.
If you consider zero to be a good chance.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:55 PM

501 posts, read 1,945,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Where do you live that people don't have landscaped yards? Almost every house on our block has exactly what you outlined-edging, bark (or rock) with interesting arrangements. No, they aren't fancy but they are certainly nicer looking then anything I have seen in Arizona. Here is one example from my back yard:
That's lovely Golfgal!

Old 01-15-2009, 03:37 PM

501 posts, read 1,945,387 times
Re: Jasper's comments about landscaping-
Personally, I think a lot of people can do better with upkeep on their homes and landscaping...but that's not for me to dictate. I love interior design and my husband enjoys landscape design...I'm sure for many people it's just not a priority or interest. Bummer, but what do you do? Some will chalk it up to not needing to impress anyone. I think people who say that are just making excuses for not feeling worthy of nice things. But that's a whole other issue --one that leads me to address the original OP.

Re: the bland mansions-
This is obviously an issue of preference/taste. When I think of "mansion", I picture something more grandiose and focused more on detail and architecture...you know the buildings that are pretty much museums now. They're absolutely gorgeous but to me, nothing I could live in day in and day out...too fragile for a growing family. I think that's what sets MN mansions apart from the mansions in your head. Practicality. A blend between everyday life and luxury living/lifestyle. 24 karat gold walls just doesn't shout out "playroom". But then again, not everyone has kids romping around...maybe the owners are just not interested in parting with their 24 karat homes quite yet. Anyways, I'd hope that we Minnesotans have better sense & taste than to go wacky with gold.

Quickly browsing the listings for "Exceptional Properties" priced over $1 million...I'm content. They're spacious, nice features (lovely staircases, upscale materials, huge windows), thoughtful landscaping... Yeah, you'll find your share of over-the-top amenities (heli-pad??), not that it seems to be a concern for you... but really the only reason you wouldn't appreciate these homes (aside from their price tags) is...location...either you're too good for the "elitists" in the west suburbs *and I say that will all sarcasm* or you aren't looking to live in the city limits. (shrug)

What's the popular consensus definition of a "mansion"? Is it price? Is it size?

Last edited by MNNative; 01-15-2009 at 03:46 PM..

Old 01-15-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNative View Post
What's the popular consensus definition of a "mansion"? Is it price? Is it size?

Dictionary def is more about size. If you look at wikipedia, it seems both size and style are both factors. Interestingly, price is not mentioned, but safe to assume it is implicit

Mansion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 PM

394 posts, read 1,518,424 times
ha, ive been a landscaper for 4 years. and i can tell you that if you are going to hang out in new suburban sub divisions, than no, there isnt any landscaping.

Go into well mature weathy neighborhoods nad the landscaping is breathtaking.

Londonderry Rd. and 169 in edina. Try those neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul