Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 09:48 AM

35 posts, read 144,306 times

Advertisements

I don't think pit bulls themselves are the problem. A think a lot of people are attracted to pit bulls because of the breed's reputation for meanness and because having one is some sort of macho, tough guy status symbol, and the more aggressive the dog is, the better. This is exactly the kind of person who should not own a pit bull. They're fairly sweet in general, but the key is good, consistent training to neutralize the less desirable part of their nature. It does seem like a huge percentage of dog attacks come from pit bulls, but the two I've known the best were the most lovey-dovey, cuddly dogs you could imagine. Seriously - they were both total lap dogs and thought that their biggest mission in life was to stare up at their human pack members with big, adoring eyes. They loved everybody and I couldn't imagine either of them hurting anyone - licking someone to death quite possibly, but not hurting anyone. The key really is proper training and matching pit bulls to owners that will be a good fit.

Last edited by Slackajawea; 06-28-2007 at 10:08 AM..

Old 06-28-2007, 10:26 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,911,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackajawea View Post
I don't think pit bulls themselves are the problem. A think a lot of people are attracted to pit bulls because of the breed's reputation for meanness and because having one is some sort of macho, tough guy status symbol, and the more aggressive the dog is, the better. This is exactly the kind of person who should not own a pit bull. They're fairly sweet in general, but the key is good, consistent training to neutralize the less desirable part of their nature. It does seem like a huge percentage of dog attacks come from pit bulls, but the two I've known the best were the most lovey-dovey, cuddly dogs you could imagine. Seriously - they were both total lap dogs and thought that their biggest mission in life was to stare up at their human pack members with big, adoring eyes. They loved everybody and I couldn't imagine either of them hurting anyone - licking someone to death quite possibly, but not hurting anyone. The key really is proper training and matching pit bulls to owners that will be a good fit.

I see your point, and you're right...Pit Bulls are not the problem... but I need to laugh at some of these too...

"reputation"..the dogs only have a "reputation" because of all the hype and hysteria surrounding the name "Pit Bull".

"tough guy"....ROFL...I get a kick out of comments like this.

"a huge percentage of dog attacks come from Pit Bulls"....your information is not correct.

"less desirable part of their nature"
...their nature??? Wrong again.

There are other holes in your post...but these are good for now.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:33 AM

35 posts, read 144,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
I see your point, and you're right...Pit Bulls are not the problem... but I need to laugh at some of these too...

"reputation"..the dogs only have a "reputation" because of all the hype and hysteria surrounding the name "Pit Bull".

"tough guy"....ROFL...I get a kick out of comments like this.

"a huge percentage of dog attacks come from Pit Bulls"....your information is not correct.

"less desirable part of their nature"
...their nature??? Wrong again.

There are other holes in your post...but these are good for now.
Given that my post consisted of my opinion on the subject of pit bulls, I fail to see how the "holes" you've identified are even relevant.

Yes, pit bulls have a bad reputation, but as my post made abundantly clear, the reputation is undeserved and is more the result of irresponsible ownership from those who are attracted to the breed for the wrong reasons. And yes, many gang members and other would-be tough guys are attracted to the breed for exactly the reasons I stated.

As for the next "hole" in my post, it would have served you well to parse my entire statement instead of just the selection of it you quoted. I stated that it seems like pit bulls are responsible for a high percentage of attacks, 'seems' being used in the context of the sentence to mean 'gives the impression of', which, when coupled with the turnaround word 'but' and the description of my own positive experience with pit bulls would suggest to a reader of average comprehension that I'm saying that the impression that they are responsible for a huge number of attacks is dubious at best.

All dogs have a "less desirable part of their nature." They bark, they dig, they chew, they go potty wherever they feel like going, etc. In addition, each breed presents its own challenges. Terriers are aggressive; pomeranians and keeshonds are yappy; malamutes are stubborn and intractable, cattle dogs will nip at the heels of other pets and small children and Siberian Huskies like to escape their yards and go on little adventures. It's up to the owners to make sure that they provide adequate training and resources to curb their dogs' less desirable impulses. You misconstrued what was simply advocacy for responsible dog ownership in general as a slight against pit bulls in particular, a slight that simply isn't there.

I understand that you are very protective of this breed, and for good reasons, but I see no reason why you would attack what was obviously a pro-pit bull post from someone who is clearly on your side. Your passion for this breed is clear, but it's also led you to attack someone who is an ally.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:37 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,911,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackajawea View Post
Given that my post consisted of my opinion on the subject of pit bulls, I fail to see how the "holes" you've identified are even relevant.

Yes, pit bulls have a bad reputation, but as my post made abundantly clear, the reputation is undeserved and is more the result of irresponsible ownership from those who are attracted to the breed for the wrong reasons. And yes, many gang members and other would-be tough guys are attracted to the breed for exactly the reasons I stated.

As for the next "hole" in my post, it would have served you well to parse my entire statement instead of just the selection of it you quoted. I stated that it seems like pit bulls are responsible for a high percentage of attacks, 'seems' being used in the context of the sentence to mean 'gives the impression of', which, when coupled with the turnaround word 'but' and the description of my own positive experience with pit bulls would suggest to a reader of average comprehension that I'm saying that the impression that they are responsible for a huge number of attacks is dubious at best.

All dogs have a "less desirable part of their nature." They bark, they dig, they chew, they go potty wherever they feel like going, etc. In addition, each breed presents its own challenges. Terriers are aggressive; pomeranians and keeshonds are yappy; malamutes are stubborn and intractable, cattle dogs will nip at the heels of other pets and small children and Siberian Huskies like to escape their yards and go on little adventures. It's up to the owners to make sure that they provide adequate training and resources to curb their dogs' less desirable impulses. You misconstrued what was simply advocacy for responsible dog ownership in general as a slight against pit bulls in particular, a slight that simply isn't there.

I understand that you are very protective of this breed, and for good reasons, but I see no reason why you would attack what was obviously a pro-pit bull post from someone who is clearly on your side. Your passion for this breed is clear, but it's also led you to attack someone who is an ally.

I'm sick and tired of anyone, not you in particular, that jumps on the BS band wagon and fires off statements that are false. I listed the points I feel are "false"...and I am also entitled to my opinion...just like you and everyone else is....but be prepared that there will be people that disagree with statements that put a black eye on American Pit Bulls. I listed the negative statements.
As far as I'm concerned some of the things you said were candy coated.
Sure it's fine to fill those holes in now, I see it all the time.

The other thing I'm sick of is how freely people use the "you're attacking me" phrase when they don't agree with what you say. ???
I did not "attack" you. I stated an opinion.

There were many things I did not agree with in your post and quite a few other misinformed posts in this thread...but not once did I bark, *no pun intended * "your attacking me"...please.

You're an ally? I have no idea who you are.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:25 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,177,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
I'm sick and tired of anyone, not you in particular, that jumps on the BS band wagon and fires off statements that are false. I listed the points I feel are "false"...and I am also entitled to my opinion...just like you and everyone else is....but be prepared that there will be people that disagree with statements that put a black eye on American Pit Bulls. I listed the negative statements.
As far as I'm concerned some of the things you said were candy coated.
Sure it's fine to fill those holes in now, I see it all the time.

The other thing I'm sick of is how freely people use the "you're attacking me" phrase when they don't agree with what you say. ???
I did not "attack" you. I stated an opinion.

There were many things I did not agree with in your post and quite a few other misinformed posts in this thread...but not once did I bark, *no pun intended * "your attacking me"...please.

You're an ally? I have no idea who you are.
I didn't read everything in the last few posts, but I did read where you said "I'm sick and tired of anyone, not you in particular, that jumps on the BS band wagon and fires off statements that are false. I listed the points I feel are "false"...and I am also entitled to my opinion...just like you and everyone else is....but be prepared that there will be people that disagree with statements that put a black eye on American Pit Bulls." I have to say that I agree. Again, I didn't read everything so, I am not talking about any one person in particular and this is just my opinion... I am very tired of people that jump in and want to "add their two cents." Now, I have no problem with people stating their opinion.. What I do not like is when people will state their opinion and do so in a way to where it sounds like they are stating a fact. Many people will google something and it will bring up a thread or post from city-data. That is how I found CD.. I googled something about American Pit Bull Terriers and it brought up a post where someone had told their opinion of APBTs, but the way they said it, it would lead people who are uneducated about the breed to believe that it is a fact. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I completely respect that, but when people tell their opinions as if they are facts it can be very harmful to 3 wonderful breeds. I own two wonderful American Pit Bull Terriers. They have both been properly raised, trained and socialized.. they are both very obedient and well behaved.. they both love everyone and everything and my husband and I are very responsible, respectful owners. I am very passionate about "pit bulls" and about getting the truth about "pit bulls" out there. If I see that something false has been said, of course I am going to say something, but by no means am I attacking someone because I don't agree with them. I have said some really stupid stuff and I have got in arguments with people, but I don't just set out to attack people or make people feel that they are being attacked. All I want to do is get the truth about these wonderful breeds out there.

Oh and I also wanted to add that the last thing on my mind is being "cool".. lol.. My husband and I got our 2 APBTs because of what wonderful breeds they are. We did research for at least a year before we decided if APBTs were a good breed for us or not. We ignored all of the crazy myths and the media hype and research the breed! We talked to "pit bull" owners, "pit bull" rescues, vets, breeders, etc.. we also read through countless website with the truth about APBTs. They fit our lifestyle perfectly! Short fur, not much grooming, small-medium breed, very smart and easy to train (if done right.. lol), they make wonderful inside dogs, they are amazingly people-friendly and wonderful with children, they are more tolerant than most other breeds, very active, extremely loyal and trustworthy, and very goofy! That is why we own two APBTs. They are 100 times better than we could have ever even imagined. The best choice we have ever made was to get our pitties and we wouldn't trade them for the world! So as far as us getting APBTs to look like "tough guys" or "to be cool" thats all crap. I do know that ALOT of people do get these breeds for that reason, but I am so sick of people assuming that that is why we own them. It is very sad that so many people do get these wonderful dogs for that reason and they are they reason that "pit bulls" have such a bad name. The overwhelming majority of "pit bulls" and "pit bull" owners are not like that though. I am not saying this because of what anyone on here said.. A few days ago someone told me that it is sad that I feel the need to get "pit bulls' to feel "cool"... I just figured if she feels that way there has to be more people that feel that way so, I wanted to clarify that.. lol!

Last edited by PitBullMommie1206; 06-28-2007 at 01:44 PM..

Old 06-28-2007, 01:31 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,274,533 times
Calm down everybody, please. This is just a discussion, no awards to winners. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, even if it's different than yours.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,095 times
We have the same problems in Copenhagen Denmark. People with on skills in how to handle a dog buys this kind of dog. And over we not have this Animal police as you have. It shouldn't be a race. Personaly I Hate this dogs. it's kind like a weapon, or him with the big car they got you know a small p.....

Old 06-28-2007, 04:15 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,177,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny hansen View Post
We have the same problems in Copenhagen Denmark. People with on skills in how to handle a dog buys this kind of dog. And over we not have this Animal police as you have. It shouldn't be a race. Personaly I Hate this dogs. it's kind like a weapon, or him with the big car they got you know a small p.....
Any dog can be considered a weapon. If a dog (no matter what breed it is) is properly raised, trained and socialized, if they are owned by experienced owners that are educated about the breeds, and are responsible and respectful there is no reason at all for there to ever be any problems.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:03 AM

106 posts, read 422,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
They have too much natural disposition to attack IMO.
Not people. Pit Bulls were originally bred as fighting dogs, not attack dogs. They were breed and trained not to be human aggressive, but very dog aggressive. That way the handlers could work with the dogs, but they would still be good fighters.

Unforuntitly dog fighting culture is still alive in parts of the US. So a lot of these animals are mistreated and as a result can be dangerous. It’s not the animals fault, but they pay the price, it’s tragic!

Any dog can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Chow Chows are guard dogs. My mother has one and the thing is a lose cannon. But it is fluffy and looks cute so people don’t mind it.

All the bully breeds have the same traits as pit bulls, that make them scary to uneducated people. I.E. English Bulldogs, Boxers, American Bulldogs, Bull Terriers, French Bulldogs, Boston Terriers, ect ect. All these breeds are pullers with broad chests, big heads/jaws, and powerful personalities.

What people don’t see is how sweet and loving pit bulls can be. I have had dogs all my life and pits bulls are differently my favorite. They aren’t mad dog killers. They have the best personalities!

Also I think a lot of times the media will put the words “pit bull” in a dog attack not knowing if the dog was a pit bull or what just to sensationalize the story.

Last edited by oceanfit185; 07-03-2007 at 10:16 AM..

Old 07-03-2007, 07:42 PM

214 posts, read 1,310,945 times
I was going to add some of the above mentioned comments also. Pits are really not very good guard dogs by nature. They are far too human companion natured, not aggressive. Any dog can be trained to be a good guard dog. And if beaten and abused can become human fearful.

I did enjoy the banter a bit on the above post....While I see the "holes" I also see someone who is at least open to understanding and learning. Adopt one and I suspect you'll learn more about reputations, biting (or lack of) and being a tough guy isn't all it's cracked up to be...I'm happy that the post is at least not as close minded as some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul