Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:24 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,177,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Wow, you just proved that this is not a breed thing! lol! Read the story and you can clearly see that!

Taken From Text:

Quote:
Zachary King Jr. had gone to get a puppy in his family's basement, where their full-grown male pit bull was chained.
First let me say that APBTs are not a breed for everyone. APBTs are terriers, they are working dogs, they need a lot of daily exercise and they need a "job" to do, in order to be happy and healthy. I seriously doubt that a dog that is chained up in a basement gets the proper amount of exercise everyday. APBTs are a dominate breed, they are very smart and can be very stubborn, much like other terriers and working breeds. APBTs are not good for first time owners, they need a strong pack leader to properly raise, train and socialize them, show them who is in charge and keep them in line. These people do not sound like experienced dog owners (I'll explain why I think that a bit later) and they obviously did not spend the time with their dog to properly raise, train and socialize it. APBTs get very attached to their owners very quickly and they are not good for people that want an outside dog or won't be home a lot. APBTs need loads of love and attention, something this dog was not getting! NO dog should ever be chained up anywhere.. PERIOD! And they definitely should not be chained up in a basement, away from grass, sunlight, fresh air, sights and sounds, etc! This poor dog was doomed from the start with ignorant owners like that! Oh, to explain why I think they were not experienced owners.. No experienced owner would chain a dog up anywhere, especially not in a basement! An experienced owner would have the common sense to know that that would drive anything dog crazy! An experienced owner would also do research on a breed before getting it, to make sure it's a good breed for them. An experienced owner would know that every dog needs exercise, love and attention every single day, no matter what, and every dog needs to be properly raised, trained and socialized! So, again, I seriously doubt that these people were experienced dog owners, but either way, they were irresponsible, so they should not have gotten this dog to start with!

Quote:
The pit bull, which had previously bitten other people, went for the boy's throat, police said.
No dog, no matter what breed it is, should ever be around any child unattended, EVER! The dog had already bitten other people, which to be honest, doesn't surprise me one bit! I mean look at the moron owners this dog got stuck with! Who in the world would allow their child to be around a dog by themselves, and a dog that had already bitten people at that! Any and every adult that was in the home at the time needs to be charged with something!

Quote:
Other family members, including at least two of the boy's three sisters, were home during the attack, which occurred about 1 p.m.
And no one was responsible enough to not let the boy go into the basement, with a dog that has already bitten people being chained up down there?! Wow! I don't even know what to say about that!

Quote:
Police have yet to determine what caused the dog to turn on one of its owners.
HAHA!! I'm sorry, does that say what I think it says? I must have read that wrong, they don't know what made the dog turn on it's owners? Well, lets see, the dog had already bitten people, so obviously the dog was poorly bred and/ or wasn't properly raised, trained, socialized and handled. That alone is a disaster just waiting to happen. Then, to top it all off, the poor dog was chained up in a basement, and I'm assuming the dog didn't get much at all, if any, exercise, love and attention, much less any training, socialization or discipline! And they let their young son go into the basement, by himself, with a dog that has been set up to fail from the start! That is why the dog did what it did! That poor dog didn't "turn" on it's owners, it had had a horrible life, was severely neglected and not properly cared for at all! The dog's owners are disgusting people, to put a dog through all of the stuff it had to of gone through, and even worse, to put their son in danger like that! They must really be sick people!

Quote:
The boy's family also has a female pit bull that family members and neighbors said seemed more friendly and was allowed to move around the house. The pit bulls recently had a litter of five puppies that Zachary and his sisters liked to play with outside.
Oh, yay! Just what this world needs, 5 more poorly bred "pit bull" puppies! I'm really out of words at this point! All I can say is these people are pathetic! I pray that they get punished for what they have done! That poor child did not deserve to die so young and in such a horrific way! It makes me sick to think about it! And that poor dog did not deserve to have the horrible life that he had! In my opinion, these people need to rot in jail!

Old 09-25-2007, 12:30 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,177,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
While you pitbull activists continued your bickering a seven year old boy was killed by a pitbull in North Minneapolis. The dog bit him repeatedly in the neck, his dad tried to help him and he ended up being hospitalized for bites as well. Pit Bulls kill...it's a fact.
This was NOT the "pit bulls" fault, this was the ignorant owners/ parents fault! Did you read the whole story? This dog had already bitten other people, they had this dog chained up in the basement and no one cared enough to make sure that poor child wasn't alone with that dog! Those people were the whole reason that dog was mean in the first place! Those people are the ones that had a vicious dog chained up in a basement of a home with young children living there. Those people are the ones that allowed their young son to be unattended with an aggressive dog! It's there fault and their fault alone that their son is dead! Oh, and as if it couldn't get worse, the morons bred an aggressive dog! Who in their right mind would breed an aggressive dog? Those people need to be put to sleep.. PERIOD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVguy View Post
You guys are talking right past each other. The issue is whether or not it is worth the risk to have mistreated, dangerous dogs in our cities. Yes, I venture to say that most pit bull owners are fine owners, maybe even excellent owners. These are probably the pit bull owners posting on this web site and you are likely in the majority.

Now for the rub: Not every pit bull owner is a good owner. Fair enough? In fact, many of these bad owners get pit bulls because these bad owners can train pit bulls to be incredibly dangerous. Is it worth the risk to allow bad owners access to deadly weapons? Many say "no" because these bad owners often lack the judgment and ability to safely contain their dogs, which in turn, endangers nearby neighbors and children. It's like any other animal--we don't allow tigers in our cities, not because they are inherently dangerous, but because bad owners would put all of us at risk.

That's the debate. People who disagree with you don't necessarily hate pit bulls; rather, they are concerned about the risk posed to society when pit bulls are in the hands of bad owners.
If "pit bulls" are banned do you think that these bad owners will just say okay, that's fine, I'm done making dogs vicious?! I don't think so! There are many breeds that are the same size as "pit bulls", there are many breeds that are just a strong as "pit bulls", there are many breeds that are larger and stronger than "pit bulls". Any dog can be made vicious and any dog can do some serious damage and possibly even kill someone! Banning the three "pit bull" breeds is like putting a wet band-aid over the problem, it will just cause a false sense of security! The bad owners will still be there and there will still be hundreds and hundreds of dogs that they can and will make just as aggressive, vicious and dangerous as the "pit bulls" they have created! Banning breeds is not the answer. Nothing will get better until we get to the rout of the problem, the bad breeders and the bad owners. Until something is done about the bad breeders and the bad owners the only thing that will change will be the breeds that are "dangerous"!

Quote:
This is a matter of preventable risk, not risk in general. We have risks everywhere in society, but we tend to outlaw risks that are seen as preventable.

The lack of enforceability of laws does not mean that we shouldn't have them. Meth is illegal, as well it should be, but we still have meth epidemic. We shouldn't make meth legal just because we can't catch everyone. It's about 'making the honest man honest.' Your analogies do not fit.

Notice that these dogs bit, but did not kill the victims. I can train my terrier to be very mean, but she isn't going to kill anyone.
Any dog can be dangerous, any dog can bite, any dog can attack, any dog can cause serious harm and any dog can kill. My three dogs are terriers as well, they are absolute sweet hearts that really do love everyone they meet! None of our dogs have ever been aggressive or mean towards any person or animal, none of our dogs have ever bitten someone, attacked someone or gotten into a fight! Our three American Pit Bull Terriers are honestly the sweetest dogs I have ever been around! My husband and I have grown up around "pit bulls", most of our close friends and family own "pit bulls" and as I already said, we own three APBTs. I don't know one mean "pit bull", I don't know one "pit bull that has ever bitten or attacked anyone and I don't know one person that has been attacked by a "pit bull". Honestly, the most aggressive breed I have been around is a Lab! I was attacked by a Lab, my brother was attacked by a Lab, my neighbors (when I was younger) owned a Lab that attacked 5 people (all of which were children under the age of 12) before it was finally put to sleep and most recently, one of our neighbors huge Lab/ Shepherd mixes ran into our yard and attacked our male APBT, Brooklyn. Brooklyn was on a leash with my husband in our yard and this dog just ran over and attacked him! These two Lab/ Shepherd mixes are so aggressive that they have to keep them away from each other, all other animals and all other people! Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against Labs, or any breed for that matter. I have owned a Chocolate Lab, a Fox Hound, a Cocker Spaniel, a Black Lab, a Rhodesian Ridgeback/ Rottweiler mix, two Mini Schnauzers and now three APBTs. I love all animals, especially dogs and I have nothing against any breed. My point is, any dog can be mean and any dog can attack!

Quote:
I don't even care that much, I'm basically letting you know why your dogs will be outlawed. I get so tired of overly pushy dog breeders thinking that the perfect breed of dog has been disgraced.

I don't care that, on average, pit bulls have a better temperment that most other dogs. The average pit bull is not what has caused the death of the seven-year-old boy.
I had to say that it's not just "pit bulls" (APBTs, AmStaffs and Staffies) that will be banned if these bans keep up. There are already insanely long "dangerous" breed lists out there! Once one city banned "pit bulls" another one did and then another and another. So, do you think it will be any different now that breeds like Irish Wolf Hounds, St. Bernards, Great Danes, etc are considered "dangerous" as well? Nope! Now more and more cities are considering all of these breeds dangerous! This is not just a "pit bull" thing anymore and pretty soon there won't be any dogs left!

I have only included 1 or 2 cities/states where the breed is affected by BSL so that the breeds can be verified as targets.

1. American Pit Bull Terrier (Note: Laws dealing with “pit bulls” also state any mix of the 3 breeds AND the MOST important line, anything that has the characteristics or appearance of these breeds. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly mistakenly identified as “pit bull” dogs. ) (Denver, CO)
2. American Staffordshire Terrier (Note: Laws dealing with “pit bulls” also state any mix of the 3 breeds AND the MOST important line, anything that has the characteristics or appearance of these breeds. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly mistakenly identified as “pit bull” dogs. ) (Denver, CO)
3. Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Note: Laws dealing with “pit bulls” also state any mix of the 3 breeds AND the MOST important line, anything that has the characteristics or appearance of these breeds. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly mistakenly identified as “pit bull” dogs. ) (Denver, CO)
4. Rottweiler
5.Doberman Pincher (Fairfield, IA) (Sisston, SD), (Westfield, IL), (Travelers Rest, SC) Shar Pei’s (Smithfield, UT)
6.German Shepard (Fairfield, IA)
7.Belgian Malanois (Fairfield, IA)
8.Siberian Huskies (Fairfield, IA)
9.Alaskan Malamutes (Fairfield, IA)
10.Great Danes (Fairfield, IA)
11.Irish Wolf Hounds (Fairfield, IA)
12.Scottish Deerhounds (Fairfield, IA)
13.Mastiffs (Fairfield, IA)
14.Boerboels (Fairfield, IA)
15.American Bull Dog (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA), (North Little Rock, AR)
16.Akita (Ulyssas, KS)
17.Chow Chow (Travelers Rest, SC), (New Port, RI)
18.English Mastiffs, (Yale, IA)
19.Tosa Inu (Aurora, CO)
20.Presa Canario (Aurora, CO)
21.Dogo Argentino (Aurora, CO)
22.Cane Corso (Aurora, CO)
23.American Bulldog (Aurora, CO / North Little Rock, AR)
24.Bull Terrier (Grandview, MO - Akron, OH)
25.American Bull Dog, (North Little Rock, AR)
26.Presa Canario (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA), (Lanett, AL)
27.Wolf Hybrid (Huntington WV)
28.Canary Dog ( Akron, OH)
29.Perro De Presa (Akron, OH)
30.Old Country Bull Dog (Akron, OH)

NOTE: These are breeds that are typically over 100lbs. If your dog is less than 100lbs than they are safe in Fairfield.

31.Bull Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
32.Neopolitian Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
33.Tibetan Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
34.New Foundland (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
35.Anatolian Shepherd (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
36.Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
37.Great Pyrenees (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
38.Komondor (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
39.Kuvaz (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
40.St. Bernard (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
41.Tosa Inu (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
42.Dogo Argentino (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
43.Cane Corso (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
44.Fila Brasileiro (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
45.Spanish Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
46.Italian Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
47.Dogue De Bordeauxs (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
48.Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
49.Akbash (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
50.Leonberger (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)

Old 09-25-2007, 06:43 AM

118 posts, read 389,260 times
Can we close this thread already?! Please delete my posts, or a portion, but this thread is way past its prime. This need to get eliminated, locked, or moved to the politics board. If this isn't bordering on political bantering and flame wars, then I don't know what is, both of which are prohibited by the forum rules. Maybe we can start an abortion debate and a homosexuality topic while we're at it? Is this really what this board is for??? In an attempt to dispose of this thread, I present the following:

To all the people who are biased toward pit bulls and refuse to either listen to other people, take those arguments into consideration, or direct others to your brain-washing web sites, you are not helping your cause and just making yourselves look like a bunch of loonies. Not only that but you keep rehashing statements I made WEEKS ago, not addressing the context of the argument and not actually looking at what I wrote, and then unleashing your venom to these statements that are taken out of context. My advice, the pit bull weirdos need to stick to your blogs, special meetings, and support groups because you have done nothing but take ambivious people (like me, incidentially) and convince me that pit bulls are dangerous and that the arguments supporting them are illogical. I feel stronger against your cause after reading this trite. Look at these arguments:

Quote:
This is not just a "pit bull" thing anymore and pretty soon there won't be any dogs left!
Yep, all dogs are going to be banned. And kids too. All dangerous activities will be banned. Yep, that's the logical conclusion--nice deductive reasoning!

Quote:
I don't know one mean "pit bull", I don't know one "pit bull that has ever bitten or attacked anyone and I don't know one person that has been attacked by a "pit bull".
See the articles above. Now you know pit bulls that have killed people.

Quote:
When treated well, APBTs typically have sunny personalities.
And when they aren't treated well, they kill. Let me speak for anyone here, WE'RE NOT WORRIED ABOUT PIT BULLS THAT ARE TREATED WELL. I'M WORRIED ABOUT THE IDIOTS WHO GET PIT BULLS FOR PROTECTION AND THEN LET THEIR DOGS KILL OTHERS, WHETHER FAMILY OR NEIGHBORS. GOT IT?!

Quote:
Let's not forget that the Germans saw the Jews as a big risk, keeping them in the country....the Germans were poor the Jews had money - the Germans said the Jews were diseased and they were keeping Germans from eating and prospering...so they killed them. Banning breeds is a slippery slope we as American should never go down.
There it is! This thread is way over. Once you start calling people Nazis and making yourself a martyr, then you have lost the debate and any respect for your argument. You're probably not a bad person, but this makes you a Grade A idiot. Internet access should be taken away from people who paint themselves as Jews who had to endure genocide in WWII and are facing a Nazi regime against their position. This is so absolutely uncalled for.

Let's try this argument on for size: I think that we should allow Bengal Tigers in apartment buildings. They are really sweet if they are well trained. And if they are aggressive, well, that's the owners' fault. Sure, there is some risk that they will get away, but society has risks, and that's just one of them. Maybe it's your neighbor or your kid, and they would be easily overpowered by such an animal, but all animals can be aggressive, so there's nothing wrong in owning a tiger in the city. And it's a very preventable risk, but smoking is allowed, so owning a Bengal Tiger in an apartment is fine. Now if you disallow me to have a Bengal Tiger, then it's a slippery slope that is just like killing 6 million Jews. Yep, you can see how obvious it is. Can you see why we would be completely unconvinced with these arguments?!

Listen, this is the height of lunacy! I'm not going to argue this with you any longer. You disrespect me and the time I took to make coherent arguments and, in response, I get nothing but idiocy and fallacies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul