Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:28 PM

336 posts, read 927,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
So, let them have their glory days, they'll need to hold onto this down the line.
I totally agree- anyone that considers high school their glory days is going to have a long rest of their life!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:36 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhl View Post
I totally agree- anyone that considers high school their glory days is going to have a long rest of their life!
I agree with this. I also agree with the OP about the snootiness of the western suburbs (not that everyone in the western suburbs is snooty). I came from a small town in Michigan and though I love Minnesota in general, I don't intend to stick around the western 'burbs (although Plymouth is not nearly as bad as Minnetonka, Eden Prairie and Wayzata). I plan to move to a smaller outstate town near the Cities, probably Northfield.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
^Bam Camden Northsider! We don't always see eye to eye but that is some great advice to the O.P!

Old 07-08-2010, 06:51 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
I am a midwestener now living in Florida, and I think Minnesota is a great place. A land of beautiful lakes, nice cities, and wonderful people.

Every major city has upper crusty suburbs that can contain some arrogant and rude people. All of the people in those suburbs are not rude and crude----avoid those that are and endear yourself to the many fine citizens that are good people.

To label a state as a place that is a poor place to live due to a few trendy suburbs is foolish. Minnesota is full of proud, vigorous, honest ,and decent people. Your post is misleading and misguided----you will experience the same suburbs in any state you live in.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:40 PM

305 posts, read 991,827 times
I'm hurt. No one mentioned my suburb. Bloomington is labeled rich and snotty and even though we do have quite an assortment of people and not all rich. Other kids come to Bloomington just to be in our schools. I love Minnesota the people here are great.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:26 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
This is personal perception only, and I have no idea if others agree, but I wouldn't lump Bloomington in with the other suburbs that often get slapped with the rich snob label; I know there are some upscale areas, but generally I think it seems to more often be considered a middle class postwar suburb with a big mall. I think of it as being too big and too diverse to have on stereotype, although I gather there's some significant east versus west Bloomington stereotypes at play, too.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:33 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Stick to the Eastern Suburbs like Woodbury, Stillwater, Hudson people are very nice and friendly there and those cities also have rich neighborhoods with multi million dollar homes

Old 07-12-2010, 04:35 AM

628 posts, read 1,437,482 times
I could write a book about my hatred for the west metro's rich and self-proclaimed "elite", but I will save us all the time and not do that.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
I could write a book about my hatred for the west metro's rich and self-proclaimed "elite", but I will save us all the time and not do that.
Wow... Growing up in the eastern part of Minnetonka just north of Glen Lake, my family was decidedly not "rich" (most of the area was middle class), and I don't remember getting any sort of "we're the elite" vibe from anywhere except Edina, and that most mostly in a sporting context.

It doesn't take many "Cake: Breakfast of Champions" banners to give that impression, anyway.

Anyway... Sounds like things have changed in the past 30 years. I see a lot of classist BS here in the Atlanta metro, too, though.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:51 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,096,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Stick to the Eastern Suburbs like Woodbury, Stillwater, Hudson people are very nice and friendly there and those cities also have rich neighborhoods with multi million dollar homes
I disagree. I've had a lot more trouble with as$holes when canvassing neighborhoods over there than in the West Metro. St. Louis Park, New Hope, and Crystal are among the 'nicest' suburbs I've worked in. Maplewood, Woodbury, and definately Spring Lake Park are among the meanest and nastiest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota