Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:16 AM

5 posts, read 33,837 times

Advertisements

Not really. What I am really talking about are the rich 'burbs. Yes, the rich suburbs located near Lake Minnetonka. This means Wayzata, Minnetonka, Edina, Excelsior, etc.

This is a horrible place to raise a family. Children here are nasty and horrible to each other. The wealth factor is so disgustingly present that it defines these areas more so than any other trait. I cannot begin to describe how shut out from the world you are if you are not rich in these areas. The high schools unintentionally promote these pompous attitudes and superiority complex so seemingly shared by all whom reside here. A day in the halls of any of the high schools or middle schools reveals children who have had their lives spoiled due to the horrendous nature of wealth so embedded in their daily activities.

How do I know this? I'm 16 and yes, I do know everything that I am talking about - on this occasion. Am I whining because I am poor? No, I live on Lake Minnetonka and probably won't have to worry about paying for much in my youth. I can honestly say that the people who live here are not down to earth in the least bit. It's impossible to find many people that can enjoy life without taking that $10,000 trip over the summer, or cruising down 394 with their new beamer. Am I using hyperbole? Yes. There's a few people I've met that understand what it really is like in the real world. However, if you're looking for an environment that will facilitate the teaching of good morals and foster a child's growth into humanity, it's not happening.

I cannot wait for my chance to leave this wealth-ridden place. I cannot wait for my chance to meet people for once.

If anyone has any thoughts, please share. I'm currently attending Minnetonka High School and I live in Wayzata.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:20 AM

617 posts, read 1,202,051 times
First of all - Your thread's title is misleading. The rich suburbs located near Lake Minnetonka, Wayzata, Minnetonka, Edina, Excelsior, etc does not equal all of Minnesota.

Second - You're young and I suspect you need to experience other places and gain some more perspective. Who knows, you might discover later on that the grass isn't greener and you'll want to come back. You'll see. Or who knows...you could find your utopia somewhere else. A place is what you make of it.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:39 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diloon View Post
Not really. What I am really talking about are the rich 'burbs. Yes, the rich suburbs located near Lake Minnetonka. This means Wayzata, Minnetonka, Edina, Excelsior, etc.

This is a horrible place to raise a family. Children here are nasty and horrible to each other. The wealth factor is so disgustingly present that it defines these areas more so than any other trait. I cannot begin to describe how shut out from the world you are if you are not rich in these areas. The high schools unintentionally promote these pompous attitudes and superiority complex so seemingly shared by all whom reside here. A day in the halls of any of the high schools or middle schools reveals children who have had their lives spoiled due to the horrendous nature of wealth so embedded in their daily activities.

How do I know this? I'm 16 and yes, I do know everything that I am talking about - on this occasion. Am I whining because I am poor? No, I live on Lake Minnetonka and probably won't have to worry about paying for much in my youth. I can honestly say that the people who live here are not down to earth in the least bit. It's impossible to find many people that can enjoy life without taking that $10,000 trip over the summer, or cruising down 394 with their new beamer. Am I using hyperbole? Yes. There's a few people I've met that understand what it really is like in the real world. However, if you're looking for an environment that will facilitate the teaching of good morals and foster a child's growth into humanity, it's not happening.

I cannot wait for my chance to leave this wealth-ridden place. I cannot wait for my chance to meet people for once.

If anyone has any thoughts, please share. I'm currently attending Minnetonka High School and I live in Wayzata.
Just a point of semantics: Edina isn't really near Lake Minnetonka.

I think you are overreacting. I attended Hopkins with tons of kids from the area you're describing-- probably the exact same zip code. Lots of kids that grew up on lakes/lake Minnetonka. Lots. And the class-ism you're describing was never as glaring a problem as you make it out to be. It could just be that much different at Minnetonka HS than at Hopkins, or it might have changed that dramatically over the course of the past ten years or so.....but I sort of doubt it....

College will be good for you, I think. To learn that there are some pretty nasty people everywhere-- nastier on average than where you grew up, perhaps.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:13 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times
I love these posts.
Once every few months a new user joins just to rant and rave about their 'hometown'.
Usually that said user is a High School student.
Please, this isn't Craiglist. This isn't a place to steam your unwanted opinions.

Minnesota is a horrible place to live? I still have T Shirts I wear from before you were born buddy, chill it.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:10 AM

When I started the thread off with "not really," I /might/ have been implying that I was joking about the thread title. Just maybe. Read the thread if you still think I think Minnesota is a horrible place to live.

I understand my perspective might be narrow, but I can definitively say that if you do not have wealth, you are ignored by the majority of the children in Minnetonka, and in my hometown of Wayzata.

Hopkins is actually a fantastic place to live. Sure there are some of the rich snobs, however there is also quite a large number of people who are not like that at all, rich or not. I would much rather attend Hopkins High School than Minnetonka, and consequently I drive around Main Street quite often with friends.

This thread is merely a warning to people considering moving here about how elitist families are supreme here.

Also when did Craigslist become an opinion forum? And apparently because you registered in June of 2010, Kid Cann, you must have expansive knowledge accumulated over large periods of time about new users joining here every few months. Yes, your great history on this forum is clearly an acceptable medium to use to speak down to me and act as though you are the voice of the forum. I bow to your wisdom, it is too much for me to resist.

Last edited by Diloon; 07-06-2010 at 11:29 AM..

Old 07-06-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Hopkins is actually a fantastic place to live. Sure there are some of the rich snobs, however there is also quite a large number of people who are not considered rich. I would much rather attend Hopkins High School than Minnetonka, and consequently I drive around Main Street quite often with friends.
Hopkins may or may not be a fantastic place to live. I wouldn't know-- haven't lived there. Grew up in Golden Valley. The high school, though, has very few kids that actually come from a Hopkins address. In fact, Hopkins had to close its elementary school due to low enrollment. The majority of the kids at Hopkins come from Minnetonka, and-- I would guess-- are in a similar income bracket to the kids going to Minnetonka HS. Trust me, I graduated from there-- I know.

The kids that aren't from Minnetonka are from GV like myself, SLP, or Plymouth, Eden Prairie, or Edina. It is probably the most gerrymeandered school district out there. Obviously, that means that there are a lot of different students from different backgrounds and income brackets. That includes the kids that open-enroll or "bus in" from Minneapolis. But all-in-all, the demographics aren't going to be drastically different at Hopkins HS than Minnetonka. So, when I say that I know the types you're going to school with and that you're overreacting, trust me: I knew those kids that grew up on lakes and got beamers for their birthdays. I sympathize with you. Some of them are very nice, down-to-earth folks, but some of them are jerks, too. Some of the kids that didn't grow up on lakes are jerks, too. In my experience, it's more-or-less a crap chute, and I think after you've been out of high school for a bit, you might find the same thing.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:44 AM

I'm familiar with Hopkins and how it's a hodge-podge of demographics - I mean the High School is located technically in Minnetonka.

Actually the stereotype now (again, by the people I am surrounded by) is that Hopkins is a "ghetto" High School, and is very poor compared to the rest of the districts surrounding it. There are several people who have moved to Minnetonka from Hopkins because they were literally "too rich" for the school. Yes I've heard words close to those from multiple people, including friends of my family.

So I do not believe the income brackets would be the same. Keep in mind that Minnetonka has kids from two of the wealthist cities based on per Capita income in the United States, Minnetonka Beach and Woodland. Minnetonka also has a $35,000 higher median income than Hopkins. While many of the kids may not live in Hopkins, I can assure you that there is a big enough difference to make it a much more dynamic place than Minnetonka

Of course those statistics are based on the 2000 Census, however they appear to hold true today.

I just find it sad that this is deemed such a wonderful place to live when class is the biggest part of society here. That's all there is to it.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:14 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
Thanks for providing your perspective. Alot of the reasons you're stating are why I decided to buy a home in what I would consider one of the more humble areas in the Twin Cities metropolitan area. There definitely is no shortage of pompousness and pretentiousness in the Twin Cities and the western suburbs would probably be ground zero to this state of mind.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:31 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,233,787 times
I grew up "not rich" in the Lake Minnetonka area and don't share any of your opinions. I see some rather large exaggerations too.

If I could relive my childhood with my choice of locations, I would choose the exact same area. I still live in the area now and still love it.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Actually the stereotype now (again, by the people I am surrounded by) is that Hopkins is a "ghetto" High School, and is very poor compared to the rest of the districts surrounding it. There are several people who have moved to Minnetonka from Hopkins because they were literally "too rich" for the school. Yes I've heard words close to those from multiple people, including friends of my family.

So I do not believe the income brackets would be the same. Keep in mind that Minnetonka has kids from two of the wealthist cities based on per Capita income in the United States, Minnetonka Beach and Woodland. Minnetonka also has a $35,000 higher median income than Hopkins. While many of the kids may not live in Hopkins, I can assure you that there is a big enough difference to make it a much more dynamic place than Minnetonka
Well, I haven't been back there and it certainly has changed. For instance, there have been huge budget cuts at Hopkins, probably more so than other high schools in the area. So, while there was never anything close to a "ghetto" reputation for Hopkins while I was there, maybe that is playing into the reputation you hear about it from people now. I'd have to ask some friends who graduated from Tonka, Wayzata, Edina, etc. to see what our reputation was with them....but I'm pretty sure it was never "ghetto."

I really doubt that the income brackets between Hopkins HS and Minnetonka HS are very different. Minnetonka Beach and Woodland are literally tiny by West Metro standards. There's about 1,000 people between them. How many of those people do you think are students at Minnetonka High School, or even families with kids enrolled at the high school? My impression is that the vast majority of students at Minnetonka High School are coming from Minnetonka, which is the exact same story with Hopkins. I don't think Woodland and Mtka Beach are pulling the average income of students at your high school up that far, or that Hopkins is pulling Hopkins HS's down that far, in all honesty. It's more or less apples-to-apples.

That's why I say that I came from a very similar area and went to a school that had very similar demographics, so everything that I told you has been based on that assumption. I'm sorry that you are upset; I think that you might be overreacting to it. Without being in your shoes, I can't say for sure. But you asked for opinions, and that was mine. Ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota