Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:03 PM

434 posts, read 552,576 times

Advertisements

I don't think you would enjoy Bemidji. Winters are too cold up here. Bemidji is such a small town with not really any atmospere except that it's a college town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 01:42 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.drew View Post
I don't think you would enjoy Bemidji. Winters are too cold up here. Bemidji is such a small town with not really any atmospere except that it's a college town.
Ok, this is the second thread where you have been negative about Bemidji. Why?

Old 02-10-2012, 05:09 PM

434 posts, read 552,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
Ok, this is the second thread where you have been negative about Bemidji. Why?

I have lived there before, and I found the town boring, with little to offer. It has the attitude of a college town. But not the same way Fargo or Saint Cloud are college towns. Those towns could actually make it just fine without the colleges they have.

I also found many of the locals to be arrogant and unfriendly. It's just my opinion. I just prefer living in a big city.

Small towns stay small for a reason.

There isn't really anything there to keep college kids around.

I hope I answered your question to your liking, bud.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:12 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.drew View Post
I have lived there before, and I found the town boring, with little to offer. It has the attitude of a college town. But not the same way Fargo or Saint Cloud are college towns. Those towns could actually make it just fine without the colleges they have.

I also found many of the locals to be arrogant and unfriendly. It's just my opinion. I just prefer living in a big city.

Small towns stay small for a reason.

There isn't really anything there to keep college kids around.

I hope I answered your question to your liking, bud.

Yea Bud you did. I think you may be everything I highlighted in red. Bemidji is for people who love the outdoors and semi remoteness. Stay in the big city please but don't poison other peoples dreams. Some of us like small town and remote areas and things like fishing, hunting, snowmobiling, hiking. And I have found the people there to be very friendly and down to earth.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,028 times
Grew up in Bemidji. Attended Elementry, Middle, and High School there. Make no mistakes this is a small town. The people are friendly after they get to know you. I think this may be in part due to it being a college town. Also keep in mind it is a tourist town. So until the locals get to know you they tend to keep to themselves and may come off as "unfriendly".

As far as racism goes there was a case just this week of a cross burning on a family's yard where the couple is interracial. The saddest part of this story is that this family has two children. However, I would like to think that racism as a whole has gotten better in Bemidji since I have lived there. I do notice the University has a good size of international students now. I think the majority of prejudice is reserved for the native americans. There is a Reservation to the north of Bemidji which tends to have a lot of poverty and it tends to have a killing there almost every week or so. Again this is not a factual statement and you would have to check the stats on this. The reservation is called the RED LAKE NATION.

There are very few good paying jobs in Bemidji. The University and local hospital are prolly the best jobs. However, the cost of living is fairly low. Again I think a lot of the smaller towns in Mn at this time are struggling to provide good jobs atm. I know Grand Rapids (small town to the east of Bemidji) has the same problems as of late. A lot of the younger people move away from Bemidji to find work. But, I think a lot of them would choose to stay if they could find the work.

If you love to hunt and fish and enjoy watching Hockey that this town is great. The local university just went DI and built a new arena. Its a great show and a fun team to watch. Its a fun way to spend your weekends during that time of the year. Also it allows you to meet your locals. There is also a local play house. Church is also a great way to get to meet people. My parents are still attending Calvary Lutheran church there, and have been doing so for a very very very long time.

This is a small town period. So if your used to the dynamics of a small town, then you will do fine. But of course loving the outdoors is what will make you fall in love with Bemidji. Hope this helps, good luck.

Last edited by Liky0001; 06-03-2012 at 10:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota