Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 05:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Yikes! I'm not "playing dumb" by saying that's a bit harsh and maybe not the whole story. I wouldn't know but I'd think being raised in a single (or no) parent environment can really cause problems with someone's psyche, regardless of race. I had one (ex) friend who didn't have a father, and I don't know where he ended up to be honest (because he switched schools and we don't keep in touch).
BS--that is just another excuse for not doing well. Lack of personal responsibility is at the root of most people's problems. It is easy to blame your situation on your lack of success but the real answer is you didn't try hard enough, period. I know PLENTY of people that came from single parent homes that have done JUST FINE because they didn't use it as an excuse not to do well. Yes, it is harder, but so what, just try a little bit more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 07:51 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
BS--that is just another excuse for not doing well. Lack of personal responsibility is at the root of most people's problems. It is easy to blame your situation on your lack of success but the real answer is you didn't try hard enough, period. I know PLENTY of people that came from single parent homes that have done JUST FINE because they didn't use it as an excuse not to do well. Yes, it is harder, but so what, just try a little bit more.
Exactly. It's all about work ethic and determination. Plenty of people escape the "ghetto" because they have the determination and dedication to do so. Look at the Asian and Somali immigrants to this country, who come here with nothing and end up starting their own businesses and earning a middle-class lifestyle. Black people can do the same thing, but many of them would rather pick up welfare checks on the first of the month. I am so, so sick of the culture of failure so ingrained into the black community. That -- not racism from white people -- is what holds so many African-Americans back.

Before anyone calls me a racist -- I'm black (and mixed with other ethnicities). I can point out issues with my own people.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:12 AM

18 posts, read 43,339 times
Racism is a problem wherever you go and this is a fact. But it should not end there, we should do something about this situation by starting in educating our youth to give them equal opportunities. We need to motivate the youth to work harder in order to have a better chance in the future especially the black community because they are at a disadvantage whether we like it or not. Instead of making them feel more disadvantaged though by pointing out that they are different, let's all help make them productive citizens by giving them education and motivating them to achieve success.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Exactly. It's all about work ethic and determination. Plenty of people escape the "ghetto" because they have the determination and dedication to do so. Look at the Asian and Somali immigrants to this country, who come here with nothing and end up starting their own businesses and earning a middle-class lifestyle. Black people can do the same thing, but many of them would rather pick up welfare checks on the first of the month. I am so, so sick of the culture of failure so ingrained into the black community. That -- not racism from white people -- is what holds so many African-Americans back.

Before anyone calls me a racist -- I'm black (and mixed with other ethnicities). I can point out issues with my own people.
Bill Cosby got bashed because he basically said the same thing, on national news. He is also sick and tired of the entitlement mentality he sees in the black community. He has been an amazing role model but he can't do it alone. People also seem to hate Oprah Winfry for whatever reason but, again, an amazing role model that started literally with nothing-victim of abuse and rape at a very young age and is now the nation's wealthiest woman.

I also agree that the Somali/Asian communities are a good example of how it can be done--starting with making sure their children get a good education. It wasn't all that long ago that there were signs in stores saying "Irish need not apply"...

Old 06-20-2011, 09:34 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Bill Cosby got bashed because he basically said the same thing, on national news. He is also sick and tired of the entitlement mentality he sees in the black community. He has been an amazing role model but he can't do it alone. People also seem to hate Oprah Winfry for whatever reason but, again, an amazing role model that started literally with nothing-victim of abuse and rape at a very young age and is now the nation's wealthiest woman.

I also agree that the Somali/Asian communities are a good example of how it can be done--starting with making sure their children get a good education. It wasn't all that long ago that there were signs in stores saying "Irish need not apply"...
You get it! So many people -- especially African-Americans -- don't. The President of the United States is black. The nation's wealthiest woman is black. There are thousands of successful black doctors, businesspersons, entrepreneurs, politicians and professionals. A black person can do anything he wants to do -- he just needs to stop believing the lies from the culture of failure and WORK at it!

There is NO institutional racism -- that is a myth inside the black psyche. If there were, why is Obama president? Why are there so many successful black CEOs, police officers, politicians and others in "the system?" Racism of the non-institutional variety still exists, but it's so marginalized as to be harmless. I live in a town located in what is basically South Dakota, and I haven't received any grief or hate because of my race. Why is it that folks in The Cities and the so-called "black meccas" like Atlanta and Houston constantly complain of racism? It's all in their heads.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:00 AM

93 posts, read 363,204 times
Yes, not having fathers is a HUGE part of it,....back to the FACT black culture has alot of issues. The attitude towards women and not being responsible for children and sexual consequences goes hand in hand with that. Again, you can see white communites (Appalachia) with the same issues and also see the connection with the absent father link.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:09 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Hahaha, but c'mon....you need that degree to get in the damn door!!! Nobody will consider you without a diploma from an accredited university, and these days, you need another one -- a Masters -- to get real consideration. I'm not playing that f'ing game! I'm starting my own business just as soon as I can get the bones to do it! It's getting harder and harder for the average Joe to make a living in this country, and that makes me mad, personally!
A Masters doesn't mean much where I've worked. A 4-year degree is often mandatory, but they don't much care what it's in as long as you have skills and/or experience related to the position.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:22 AM

24 posts, read 35,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansol View Post
This **** pisses me off on SOOOOOOOOOOOO many levels.

****!

You didn't not get hired because yo'ure black... you didin't get hired because you probably said 'ax' instead of 'ask' during an interview............ No one wants to hire a street wanna be. Speak proper and oh the places you will go.

Wow... perhaps, the unemployment rate is so high because folks like you are the ones doing the hiring.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:50 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post

i think the main reason is not enough blacks in positions of power, and subtle discrimination by white hiring managers. i do not believe minnesota takes equal opportunity seriously, and thats a big problem if you are not white.

having said that, 78 percent of minnesota blacks are unemployed, so many whites in power are giving blacks a fair shot, just clearly not enough employers.

this is an embarrassing number for minnesota.
This is the most asinine, libelous, non-factual, irresponsible, and racist piece of self-pity crap I've read on the forums.

I'm not black but I do have a lot of black friends. Some church folks, some not. Some blue collar workers and some white collar professionals. The following information actually COMES FROM THEM due to multiple conversations.

- Many blacks in the Twin Cities are poorly educated. The school system isn't fully to blame either. It's the attitudes of the students and the lack of involvement from the parents. This lack of education shows up in a person's speech and attitude.

- Laziness. Pure and simple. (An exact quote from QUITE A FEW black people in BOTH white and blue collar jobs.) Black families have a history of being on welfare and food stamps. It's generational. When you examine the statistics, they teach (by example) that ethic to their children who also end up on it. They've learned to manipulate and work the system (which includes playing the race card) so they can get on the system and NOT have to work. Many will have more babies in order to STAY on the system. Many of the families, when they go grocery shopping have three or four EBT cards with them, which is an abuse of the system.

- This comment comes from my white collar, professional black friends. It reiterates the first point but with more detail. Lack of education produces poor language skills and grammar. Their manner of speech holds them back because it's not professional. It's not the professional image that companies want to have portrayed of them.

- The MOST common opinion with my black friends is the one about laziness and this: Educated black professionals get jobs. That's the difference between blacks getting jobs and not getting them. Skin color still plays a role in some cases but that's usually due to the individual doing the hiring and their racism. But, the fact is, qualified blacks, and minorities of all races, do get jobs. In many cases they have an unfair advantage due to the politically correct system of the equal opportunity quota system.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:55 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
You get it! So many people -- especially African-Americans -- don't. The President of the United States is black. The nation's wealthiest woman is black. There are thousands of successful black doctors, businesspersons, entrepreneurs, politicians and professionals. A black person can do anything he wants to do -- he just needs to stop believing the lies from the culture of failure and WORK at it!

There is NO institutional racism -- that is a myth inside the black psyche. If there were, why is Obama president? Why are there so many successful black CEOs, police officers, politicians and others in "the system?" Racism of the non-institutional variety still exists, but it's so marginalized as to be harmless. I live in a town located in what is basically South Dakota, and I haven't received any grief or hate because of my race. Why is it that folks in The Cities and the so-called "black meccas" like Atlanta and Houston constantly complain of racism? It's all in their heads.
I don't think there's current institutionalized racism, but we are still living with the effects of former racism. We also DO have policies in place that have made it more difficult to escape class lines. And since -- especially here in MN -- race and income level often go hand-in-hand, the policies that make it tougher for poor people are going to disproportionately affect people of color.

I don't think that racism of the personal variety is very common these days, but I also think it probably does still exist, and likely does play a role in some hiring practices. I'm a woman, and have personally encountered blatant (and illegal) sexism on the job. It overall hasn't hampered my professional life, but I know it's still out there, even among people who I think should know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota