Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:48 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,874,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
There is racism everywhere, but Minnesota is one of the least racist places I've ever lived. If you want to see real racism, go to Mississippi or Louisiana. Even places like Cleveland have more racist people than Minnesota, especially within the Twin Cities. Besides, the groups that probably face the most prejudice in Minnesota are Somalis and Native Americans, not black Americans.

I'm not white, and personally, I've never had trouble finding a job because of my race or ethnic background. I don't use the "race card" to get jobs. Employers care about my qualifications, not my skin color.
I live in Cleveland right now and it's not all that bad, but it's very segregated. White people and black people exist together but separate or polarized. I have a group I go to twice a week that is 100% black, African American (40-50 people) and I bet am the first white person they have seen there in quite some time, judging by some of the things they say to me, like: "are you looking for somebody", or "can I help you find something". They are SUPER nice to me though and I have never felt more welcome in a place where I am such an outsider! In the school district where I live it's half black, half white, but the white and black kids don't hang out much. It's more of a "quieter" racism than say, Chicago or somewhere like that, where people are vocal about what they feel!

Minnesota seems more welcoming and there is more integration in the urban areas there than in much of Ohio, but especially CLeveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 05:37 AM

137 posts, read 611,865 times
These race threads are a joke. Don't use race as a crutch to try to explain why you can't get ahead. This is America, hard work and dedication works for all! Be your future. If you are all "ghetto" and trash talkin', you are being your future. Guess what? I have every right to say this. I'm half Mexican!

Beauty of pulling my race card out. neener, neener, neener! I'm half Mexican. neener, neener, neener!

Old 06-19-2011, 06:24 AM

It probably depends on the industry....in finance or business administration, two equal candidates of different races would NORMALLY be treated the same, and if anything, there would be an incentive for the company to choose someone of a race that the company was lacking ("diversity" is very important in many major companies). At a manufacturing plant however, I can see the opposite happening -- white, middle-class folks protecting their jobs from lower-wage immigrants, for example.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,072 times
Default okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
the education gap is a huge internal problem in the black community, where most families are only one parent.
I agree, no its not all white people. Also, statistics show that this a problem nation wide not just in Minneapolis, so yes racism is everywhere.

The Minneapolis metropolitan area has a black-white unemployment ratio of 3.1 to 1. This means that blacks are 3.1 times as likely to be unemployed as whites. After detroit this is the worse in the country. Studies also indicate that comparable levels of education didn't make a difference. So the issue with Minneapolis is not education!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2011, 08:52 PM

Is it broken families then? THAT could be...

Old 06-19-2011, 09:11 PM

93 posts, read 363,374 times
You know why already, don't play dumb for the sake of starting a neverending debate. Black American culture has ALOT of issues, regardless of the history of this country. The black community need to stop using the race card undeservingly, whenever they fail in some way. Black people have every opportunity to do as well as any other person in Amerca, maybe better considering all the social support and programs for them. Black people need to take their communities back, stop supporting rappers/entertainers who disrespect women, rap about shooting fellow black men, racism towards whites, being irresponsible adults and drug use. Whenever you have a history of poverty within a culture of people, no matter the color, people get 'real stupid'. Look at Appalachian whites, they continue to not finish school, live below the poverty level, struggle with violence and addiction issues......poverty gives people a raunchy outlook on reality, a classless lifestyle , a physchology to fail and a despair that usually does not breed success. There re exceptions for people exceptionally blessed with strength and wisdom, but most people can not rise above their social programming.

"It is not the darkness of the skin that offends, but the darkness of the spirit"

Last edited by LeeLee77; 06-19-2011 at 09:30 PM..

Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee77 View Post
You know why already, don't play dumb for the sake of starting a neverending debate. Black American culture has ALOT of issues, regardless of the history of this country. The black community need to stop using the race card undeservingly, whenever they fail in some way. Black people have every opportunity to do as well as any other person in Amerca, maybe better considering all the social support and programs for them. Black people need to take their communities back, stop supporting rappers/entertainers who disrespect women, rap about shooting fellow black men, racism towards whites, being irresponsible adults and drug use. Whenever you have a history of poverty within a culture of people, no matter the color, people get 'real stupid'. Look at Appalachian whites, they continue to not finish school, live below the poverty level, struggle with violence and addiction issues......poverty gives people a raunchy outlook on reality, a classless lifestyle , a physchology to fail and a despair that usually does not breed success. There re exceptions for people exceptionally blessed with strength and wisdom, but most people can not rise above their social programming.

"It is not the darkness of the skin that offends, but the darkness of the spirit"
Excellent post. Thank you for telling it like it is.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:09 PM

Yikes! I'm not "playing dumb" by saying that's a bit harsh and maybe not the whole story. I wouldn't know but I'd think being raised in a single (or no) parent environment can really cause problems with someone's psyche, regardless of race. I had one (ex) friend who didn't have a father, and I don't know where he ended up to be honest (because he switched schools and we don't keep in touch).

Old 06-19-2011, 10:13 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,079,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurfin2012 View Post
I agree, no its not all white people. Also, statistics show that this a problem nation wide not just in Minneapolis, so yes racism is everywhere.

The Minneapolis metropolitan area has a black-white unemployment ratio of 3.1 to 1. This means that blacks are 3.1 times as likely to be unemployed as whites. After detroit this is the worse in the country. Studies also indicate that comparable levels of education didn't make a difference. So the issue with Minneapolis is not education!!!!!!!!!
Show me the numbers. Or provide links to them. I've not seen such indications in the articles I've read, which is why I tend to suspect that (or at least question if) those elements are not being taken into account.

Also, this may not be obvious to some, but education is emphatically not the same thing as hard on-the-job experience. A degree doesn't mean squat in this job market in many industries ... it's what you've actually DONE with the degree that companies are looking at, especially in anything technology-related.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:25 PM

Hahaha, but c'mon....you need that degree to get in the damn door!!! Nobody will consider you without a diploma from an accredited university, and these days, you need another one -- a Masters -- to get real consideration. I'm not playing that f'ing game! I'm starting my own business just as soon as I can get the bones to do it! It's getting harder and harder for the average Joe to make a living in this country, and that makes me mad, personally!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota