Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 12:01 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLaLa View Post
Well...everyone has an accent, technically speaking.

There's something about the way everyone speaks that makes their voices 'special' to their home region. Your thread has me curious now as to what "Minnesota" sounds like...I've never been there! (yet!)
My GF was born and raised in Minnesota, but she does not have a Minnesotan accent at all, thankfully. Every once in awhile she will do her SA impersonation, you know those commercials that end with, You got my word on it. She can do the accent to a perfectly and it annoys the heck out of me. It annoys her, too. I'd rather cut off my ears and never hear again then to hear that crap.

The Minnesotan accent sounds like the person is talking in a half cheery voice and a half whiney voice with all the personality of a deflated basketball. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 10:14 PM

998 posts, read 1,514,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post
The MN accent is strong...and hilarious. It's a friendly accent, though. The Philly accent makes me shudder. I swear I'm going to smack the next person I hear say "you's". The MI Lower Peninsula accent is like a very mild MN accent.
I was living in west TX years ago, and we got a new boss, well actually two, a husband and wife team, and they were from the lower peninsula, and you're right, their accent, especially hers, reminded me of MN's a bit. And made me a little homesick.

Also, I had a room-mate once from Philly. I found it interesting, if not a bit annoying at times. But it's good to embrace these things and so I did.

I can see where some are coming from when they say the MN accent can be annoying. There are certain Minnesotans, usually women, who have a really nasally MN accent which can be grating.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:34 PM

6 posts, read 18,718 times
"To deny one's native accent, is to deny one's heritage"......Mark Twain

Old 08-18-2008, 05:05 PM

143 posts, read 327,642 times
I am from the LP in Michigan and I have had a lot of people comment on my accent. It is funny though, because I always thought that people from MI, OH, IN, IL had the universal, generic, non-accent

Old 08-18-2008, 06:03 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
I haven't been through a lot of cities in Minnesota, but I have noticed a few things about people from the Twin Cities (Don't know if this applies to other Minnesotans as well.). The way they pronounce their long A's is different from any other accent I've ever heard.
When the sound is at the end of a word, they drag it out a little more than others, so today sounds like todaaay. It's still at the same speed as most of the other accents, but the sound is pronounced a little more.
When the long A sound is in the middle of a word, it's barely pronounced. It sounds like they're about to pronounce it, and then just forget it, so makeup sounds like mekup.
I've also noticed that the 'ow' sound is more pronounced than in other accents. Just listen to the way Minnesotans say 'how' or 'about'.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:39 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I haven't been through a lot of cities in Minnesota, but I have noticed a few things about people from the Twin Cities (Don't know if this applies to other Minnesotans as well.). The way they pronounce their long A's is different from any other accent I've ever heard.
When the sound is at the end of a word, they drag it out a little more than others, so today sounds like todaaay. It's still at the same speed as most of the other accents, but the sound is pronounced a little more.
When the long A sound is in the middle of a word, it's barely pronounced. It sounds like they're about to pronounce it, and then just forget it, so makeup sounds like mekup.
I've also noticed that the 'ow' sound is more pronounced than in other accents. Just listen to the way Minnesotans say 'how' or 'about'.
Haaziq--I agree, especially about long a in the middle of the word. When I hear many MN natives pronounce the word "sale", it sounds like "sell" to me. For example, "I'm going to put my house up for sell."

Old 08-20-2008, 09:00 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyButler7000 View Post
I am from the LP in Michigan and I have had a lot of people comment on my accent. It is funny though, because I always thought that people from MI, OH, IN, IL had the universal, generic, non-accent
Really, the accents of the Midwestern states change by areas. People from Michigan sound different depending on what part they come from. Some areas in Ohio have the generic non-accent. Some of the southern cities in Ohio have an accent that sounds like a Northeastern one. I remember meeting someone from Columbus a few years ago. I could've sworn he was from New York or somewhere in New England. His accent was non-rhotic.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:00 AM

214 posts, read 691,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiNnGsTar* View Post
HAHA! Awesome. Well I was born and raised here so I would notice something unusal like that. Just the way it sounded.. "for cute", doesn't sound correct.
The woman who owned the grocery store in Crosby Minnesota used to say this--perhaps she wasn't born and raised in Minnesota either.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 34,989 times
Yes Minnesotans do have an accent!!! It's cute!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:31 AM

394 posts, read 1,518,936 times
Ok, I have to fix this, One thing, its not an ACCENT. Its called a DIALECT. Ok, so yes Minnesotan's have a dialect, very similar to NEW ENGLAND, EAST COAST, DEEP SOUTH, SOUTH, TEXAS/OKLAHOMA/ARKANSAS, WEST COAST , and NORTHWEST all have noticable Dialects.

I think its getting better as tehre are less and less direct decendents of Scandanavia, and as the area urbanizes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota