Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 11:57 AM

286 posts, read 209,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Now, I just wouldn't have done that.
Just answer the questions. You'll be alright.
We did. it became a joke after a while and I was well within my rights to question him. I won't stand for a Cop trying to humilate me. Nobody should

Old 01-25-2012, 12:01 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
I stand by what I said about Memphis. You have a white girlfriend from Memphis and that's great, but that doesn't mean Memphis is the pinnacle of racial harmony. Far from it. There are many non racist people in Memphis, but there is a much higher than average amount of racism as well.

Using your logic, my wife is part West Indian, East Indian, and Hispanic. She is from Belize and is considered 'Coolie'. By the way, Coolie is not a derogatory term in Belize, it is a term people take pride in. She's been here about 25 years.

We don't have any issues whatsoever, so again, using your logic, Mississippi must be a racial utopia.

You can't apply your experience to the entire state of Mississippi, just as I can't apply mine. I realize there are some racist people here, but racist people are everywhere. You only need to look at Los Angeles, Texas, Ohio, etc. to see that. All of those places have had incidents in the not so distant past.

On Memphis:

http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=12237358
"God put it on our hearts to bring racial reconciliation to this city," Key said. "This has been a divided city for many, many years."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_825974.html
"A bold bid by the struggling, majority-black Memphis City Schools system to force a merger with the majority-white, successful suburban district has fanned relatively routine fears over funding and student performance into accusations of full-blown racism."

http://www.blackcommentator.com/155/...s_memphis.html
"That so many citizens of all colors in Memphis want to pretend that there is no racial problem makes things even worse.

I could find a million of these. If Memphis knows it has racial problems, why don't you know?

Last edited by jhadorn; 01-25-2012 at 12:12 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If what you are saying is for real, then I don't know if I would fit it. I'm Black and I will hang out with anyone as long as they behave properly. I am one of those persons who doesn't fit neatly into "the proverbial box", so who I hang out with is often a matter of interest and personality.
Then Mississippi is not the place for you. You won't be able to just "hang out" with anyone or anywhere. that's the problem. you could get mugged if you go to a club/bar that doesn't cater to your kind.

It's well known to party with your own in Mississippi. this is how they can say "I don't see any racism"...of course you wouldn't if you're a racist that's surrounded by racists. But be a black man trying to go party in Pearl on a Saturday night, you may just end up as a Occultic sacrifice in a cemetary.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I stand by what I said about Memphis.

Doesn't make it factual to everybody, just factual to YOU.

Quote:
You have a white girlfriend from Memphis and that's great, but that doesn't mean Memphis is the pinnacle of racial harmony. Far from it.
I never said it was. but it's NOTHING like Mississippi. that's for sure.

Quote:
There are many non racist people in Memphis, but there is a much higher than average amount of racism as well.
Not higher than Mississippi by a long shot. and of course racism is everywhere, but that's not the question of the OP. they asked if MISSISSIPPI still practices open racism. NOt Memphis or New Orleans or any other city. try to stay on topic please. Using other cities to make your point is lame.

Quote:
Using your logic, my wife is part West Indian, East Indian, and Hispanic. She is from Belize and is considered 'Coolie'. By the way, Coolie is not a derogatory term in Belize, it is a term people take pride in. She's been here about 25 years.
Are you white? then that may be the reason your wife from Belize is not catching any racial tension from the locals.

Quote:
We don't have any issues whatsoever, so again, using your logic, Mississippi must be a racial utopia.
You mean racial prison, because it's far from a racial Utopia.

Quote:
You can't apply your experience to the entire state of mississippi, just as I can't apply mine. I realize there are some racist people here, but racist people are everywhere. You only need to look at Los Angeles, Texas, Ohio, etc. to see that. All of those places have had incidents in the not so distant past.
How come? I was born here, lived in all the "major" cities of Mississippi, if you wanna call them cities and my experiences are a direct result of the culture I grew up in while in Mississippi. Which was a racist, isolationist and highly segregated state.

My opinion is more valid than 99% of the people chiming in on this topic.
If ANYBODY wants to know about the racial over/undertones in Mississippi they can feel confident in asking me. I won't beat around the bush at all.

FYI, I just moved to Texas, and just recently asked 2 White male neighbors to help me move a couch into my house. Not only did they help, they brought a 12-pack with them...I NEVER would've gotten that type of respect from whites in Mississippi. NEVER. Because I've tried this before in Brookhaven and the white guy next door said he was on disability and had a bad back and couldn't help me move any furniture. ahhh, but ironically he rode a Harley-Davidson everyday. THAT to me is more examples of low-key racism. He just didn't want to help me. Southern Hospitality my arse in Mississippi,there is none. Funny thing too, when I moved he wanted my Dartboard...yeah right, give you a gift on my way out after all the foul attitude you gave me while I lived next door?...hold your breath buddy.

Bad back + Motorcycle = LIES

Last edited by Truckin; 01-25-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin View Post
Then Mississippi is not the place for you. You won't be able to just "hang out" with anyone or anywhere. that's the problem. you could get mugged if you go to a club/bar that doesn't cater to your kind.

It's well known to party with your own in Mississippi. this is how they can say "I don't see any racism"...of course you wouldn't if you're a racist that's surrounded by racists.
I have never been the party type myself, but I have a white friend who works with mostly black people, and he has gone to black parties in Charleston, MS of all places. I have a black friend who is married to a white woman, and I hold him in high regard. Not all of us are racist, I assure you.

You can't let bad experiences with a person/persons of a particular race determine your opinion of an entire state of people. There are 3 million of us here. Guaranteed, if you asked me for help moving your couch and I could, I would. Race doesn't determine who I help or not.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:42 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:

It's well known to party with your own in Mississippi. this is how they can say "I don't see any racism"...of course you wouldn't if you're a racist that's surrounded by racists. But be a black man trying to go party in Pearl on a Saturday night, you may just end up as a Occultic sacrifice in a cemetary.
I don't know about everything else, as I never lived in Mississippi, but I do think Mississippi would be quite an adjustment for me. I live in the Atlanta area. Mississippi wouldn't be a place for me for other reasons as well as what you mentioned

As for clubs, I don't do clubs anymore or even most bars. I do coffee places, anime conventions, and bookstores.

Every party I've been to, it has never been "party with your own". There is self-segregation in the Atlanta area, but I've never been to a party/club where the situation you mentioned exists.

I have family members who left Mississippi during the Great Migration. Among them are my grandparents. My father was born and raised in the northern USA. He has no desire to live in Mississippi. Anyone I know who has left Mississippi has no desire to return. '

I am also wondering how else I might fit. In the Atlanta area, I've gotten a few looks for stares for having anything related to Hello Kitty(I'm into Japanese cartoons and Sanrio products). I like anime conventions and coffee places(Starbucks as well as independent places). I have never had a problem at coffee places or anime conventions in Atlanta.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 PM

Truckin, yes. I am white, however, my wife has white and black friends who she has known well before we married. She was married to a white man for 10 years, then divorced for 10 years before we met. Your assumption that she doesn't get flack from the locals because i'm white has no merit.

She is successful and makes more money than I do, all with a Mississippi college education and the opportunities afforded her in Mississippi. No-one has held her back, or tried to keep her down based on color or any other factor.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:12 PM

I used to be an avid dirtbike rider, and have a herniated disc as a result. I can still ride a motorcycle without it hurting my back, as long as I don't go offroad too hard or jump. What puts my back out is bending over to pick up something heavy, causing the herniated disc to pich a nerve in my back. I still lift things when I have to, but I may hurt for several days afterward and have a hard time getting around. Just saying.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Doesn't make it factual to everybody, just factual to YOU.
A red rose may not look red to a colorblind person, but that doesn't make it any less red. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean the majority of people who have knowledge of Memphis can't see it.

In my opinion, and the opinion of many others who are moving from Memphis to North Mississippi in droves, Memphis is worse than Mississippi.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:46 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
............My opinion is more valid than 99% of the people chiming in on this topic.............
Well, that's it then.

Trumped us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi