Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 04:41 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times

Advertisements

According to the Journal of the American Medical Association latest reports , fat is now good.
Not good, just not as dangerous as they previously said. Next week, a new study will come out with the opposite advice.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:48 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
I have heard that it has to do with altitude as well as diet.
That is why Mississippi is one of the least healthy states and Colorado is the most healthy.

"All You Can Eat" probably has quite a bit to do with it as well!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,257 times
Don't feel so bad! Appalachian states are pretty high on the obesity scale as well. Rural areas in general I think have higher rates than urban.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:47 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachiangirl View Post
Don't feel so bad! Appalachian states are pretty high on the obesity scale as well. Rural areas in general I think have higher rates than urban.
Obesity has a lot to do with ignorance and lack of education. Here in Minneapolis, people are mostly healthy and very conscious but as you get out of the
city and into the country, you will see many overweight people. When people are ignorant, they don't even consider exercise as part of their lives. I work
out at the Lifetime Fitness here and it is always packed. When I go to rural Minnesota, most small or even mid sized country towns have no gyms or
workout facilities. It is a shame!

Old 11-17-2007, 01:43 PM

8 posts, read 25,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
I have been reading quite a bit about obesity in the united states and was shocked and surprised to read that Mississippi is reportedly the fattest state in the country. (In all honesty, i thought the fattest state in the nation was Alaska.) Can anyone explain how the fattest state in the nation could possibly be located in the deep south and not the far north?
Well, see how wrong you were. I live between Alaska and Mississippi and my opinion is that Missssippi wins this honor hands down. Just sit in a mall somewhere in MS and watch people go by. No contest. y

Old 11-17-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Obesity has a lot to do with ignorance and lack of education. Here in Minneapolis, people are mostly healthy and very conscious but as you get out of the
city and into the country, you will see many overweight people. When people are ignorant, they don't even consider exercise as part of their lives. I work
out at the Lifetime Fitness here and it is always packed. When I go to rural Minnesota, most small or even mid sized country towns have no gyms or
workout facilities. It is a shame!
That's because until recently, people in the country worked hard the whole day long and did not need to exercise. ak

Old 11-17-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I have heard that it has to do with altitude as well as diet.
That is why Mississippi is one of the least healthy states and Colorado is the most healthy.

"All You Can Eat" probably has quite a bit to do with it as well!
Altitude? You must believe in UFO as well. :-) ak

Old 01-21-2008, 12:25 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr75 View Post
As for Texas, I believe Houston is the fattest CITY in the US...but not Texas as a whole
<scratches head> So it's the fattest city in the US, but not the fattest city in Texas?

Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 PM

80 posts, read 277,023 times
Even if Mississippi is not #1, it is bad.....Good food everywhere. I guess there is some hope but unless there is a calorie breakthrough?

Old 02-12-2008, 02:31 AM

2 posts, read 5,362 times
Im from Alaska i am in the military and am currently stationed in LA. I thought the same as some others here about becouse it is warmer that it would be easier to stay slim. But, some of you are right about diets and excercise, but, then again there are those who dont do anything and still stay slim. I tend to stay about the same weight with or with out excercise in the lower 48. Now if I am able to pass my fit test or not is another story. As one of you said "every state has fat people." this is true even in alaska. and depending on where you live in alaska depends on how active you are sometimes. if you live in anchorage or fairbanks "the big citys" then you might not be an out doorsy person. now if you live in a small town like i did then you will most likely love the out doors and want to do all kinds of things with my friends. i always love to hunt and go fishing and i have seen some ways people down here go camping... lol i find it amusing. when we go camping we have a camp site which we erected a cabin but other than that... well we dont have electricity and to cook we usually cook over an open fire... some of us hook up a propane stove in the cabins but ehh... to tell the truth i cant wait to go back to alaska, i love it there. oh by the way the -10F that is our average and if you get used to it you really dont notice. example down here the temps get up into the 80's-100 and in that weather im just dieing but for people down here its not that bad. but i still laugh when people are putting there winter jackets on in 30-40 degree weather. but all is fair they laugh at me when i sweat bullets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi