U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2019, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
10,062 posts, read 10,577,810 times
Reputation: 7168
They seem minimal to me. I saw ads by Tate Reeves about our new license plates with the motto "In God We Trust". This makes the liberals in California and Washington angry. But will it improve the quality of life in the state? Will it lead to more jobs? And less corruption?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2019, 05:26 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
18,607 posts, read 10,916,905 times
Reputation: 26096
I'm with you. Not much.
'Druther have a Republican. But actually, the less that is 'accomplished', the better off we will all be. So if a Democrat sits in The Mansion and Republicans control the legislature, maybe that's a good thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2019, 09:52 PM
 
Location: North Jackson
2,173 posts, read 3,518,590 times
Reputation: 2987
Is the State better off now than it was 4 and 8 years ago?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2019, 10:45 PM
 
770 posts, read 789,603 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Is the State better off now than it was 4 and 8 years ago?
nope
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2019, 11:33 AM
 
974 posts, read 1,015,734 times
Reputation: 1948
I've been thinking about this for several months. Here are some of the big issues we need to work on:

1. Bring in low skill, but good jobs (more manufacturing).
2. Shore up PERS.
3. Give teachers and all state employees a raise.
4. Fix state bridges and roads in rural parts of the state - if gas taxes have to be raised by a cent or two, so be it.
5. Shore up the MHP (it's a shell of what it was 20 years ago), there is virtually no highway safety enforcement in most of the state, plus our DL stations are in bad shape.
6. Facilitate online sports gambling.
7. Get rid of the state flag.
8. Don't pass laws that are viewed as aimed at infringing on homosexuals (we don't have enough outward gays coming to Mississippi to worry about this).
9. Pass legislation allowing medical marijuana
10. Study allowing the cultivation of medical marijuana in the delta.
11. Cut education costs by getting rid of junior college athletics
12. Combine universities and end the duplication of narrow programs (combine MSU and the W, etc.). MSU, UM and JSU all have engineering programs, is this needed?
13. Don't pass any more abortion laws, we don't have enough abortions in MS to worry about this.
14. Do whatever it takes to get a casino in Jackson (hopefully in conjunction with a "two lakes" project).
15. Aggressively pursue federal funding for our military installations. Many of the buildings on Camp Shelby are in bad shape and continue to expand the 172nd Air Wing and our sites in Gulfport. A lot of good, full-time jobs are produced by these sites and we can do more.

Tater tot is going to be elected, and since his campaign commercials are mostly aimed at fighting "Liberal Hollywood" (which does not affect us in any way), I'm assuming we will get more of the same - grow smaller rather than larger, cut expenses rather than grow revenue. Privately, I've heard people say Tate is very bright (Deputy Fill is not), so let's hope he surprises us.

I realize most of this will not be considered, but at least do the top 5.

By the way, I'm a conservative/libertarian.

Last edited by viverlibre; 07-13-2019 at 12:07 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2019, 04:38 PM
 
770 posts, read 789,603 times
Reputation: 865
I would hedge a bet on Tater. Most Republicans in this state don't like him. Last poll I saw shows Reeves down but it's still July.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2019, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of TN, AL and FL
1,345 posts, read 982,633 times
Reputation: 2115
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
I've been thinking about this for several months. Here are some of the big issues we need to work on:

1. Bring in low skill, but good jobs (more manufacturing).
2. Shore up PERS.
3. Give teachers and all state employees a raise.
4. Fix state bridges and roads in rural parts of the state - if gas taxes have to be raised by a cent or two, so be it.
5. Shore up the MHP (it's a shell of what it was 20 years ago), there is virtually no highway safety enforcement in most of the state, plus our DL stations are in bad shape.
6. Facilitate online sports gambling.
7. Get rid of the state flag.
8. Don't pass laws that are viewed as aimed at infringing on homosexuals (we don't have enough outward gays coming to Mississippi to worry about this).
9. Pass legislation allowing medical marijuana
10. Study allowing the cultivation of medical marijuana in the delta.
11. Cut education costs by getting rid of junior college athletics
12. Combine universities and end the duplication of narrow programs (combine MSU and the W, etc.). MSU, UM and JSU all have engineering programs, is this needed?
13. Don't pass any more abortion laws, we don't have enough abortions in MS to worry about this.
14. Do whatever it takes to get a casino in Jackson (hopefully in conjunction with a "two lakes" project).
15. Aggressively pursue federal funding for our military installations. Many of the buildings on Camp Shelby are in bad shape and continue to expand the 172nd Air Wing and our sites in Gulfport. A lot of good, full-time jobs are produced by these sites and we can do more.

Tater tot is going to be elected, and since his campaign commercials are mostly aimed at fighting "Liberal Hollywood" (which does not affect us in any way), I'm assuming we will get more of the same - grow smaller rather than larger, cut expenses rather than grow revenue. Privately, I've heard people say Tate is very bright (Deputy Fill is not), so let's hope he surprises us.

I realize most of this will not be considered, but at least do the top 5.

By the way, I'm a conservative/libertarian.
Pretty good list.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2019, 09:15 AM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
18,607 posts, read 10,916,905 times
Reputation: 26096
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Is the State better off now than it was 4 and 8 years ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
nope
Mississippi GDP hit a 10 year high in 2018.
https://msbusiness.com/2019/05/state...-high-in-2018/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2019, 09:49 PM
 
770 posts, read 789,603 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Mississippi GDP hit a 10 year high in 2018.
https://msbusiness.com/2019/05/state...-high-in-2018/
we're last or near the bottom in every statistical category. Nice try.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 09:51 AM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
18,607 posts, read 10,916,905 times
Reputation: 26096
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
we're last or near the bottom in every statistical category. Nice try.
The question was, "Is the State better off now than it was 4 and 8 years ago?"
It is. Clearly. In fact, Mississippi GDP has never been as high as it is now. So you gave the wrong answer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top