Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 07:37 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,297 times

Advertisements

We're spoiled to the incredible Tennessee River and 650 miles of navigable water. Nice to have inherited a lake house with two Robert Trent Jones golf courses down the street too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 12:12 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
My second objection is a little more subtle. Most folks believe that football is a method of teaching about how hard work pays off and the importance of teamwork. I don't think it does. What it does is teach the efficacy of bullying, and create false heroes out of fairly ordinary kids who promptly fall apart after high school. Football in high school destroys lives as millions of boys give up on their studies because they are "going to play for the NFL". They are told daily that it is true, and our Saturday newspapers carefully report the number of tackles they made or the number of passes they completed.
Sports, I believe, should be within the purview of the various cities and sports organizations, not the schools.
Oh good grief. The one good point you make here is that the sports could conceivably be decoupled with the schools, and that's kind of already happening. You see baseball, basketball and soccer 'clubs' everywhere. But it will take a while for football, because most of its participants are public school kids, and it's also expensive to implement. And if it weren't for football, how many kids would be doing Lord knows what out in the streets? It fills a vital role and teaches a lot of good lessons. The good outweighs the bad by a large margin.

Quote:
Millionaire coaches encouraging unpaid 19 year olds to use their body as a weapon? .... Nah.
College athletics is a difference conversation entirely. Your point begins to ring more true in that arena.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:15 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
But come to North Alabama, Middle and East Tennessee and you truly might find communities where you'd like to live. Let me just leave it at that.
That would be a welcomed idea. The OP can venture to the Huntsville forum if she wants that information, and I'm sure you'd be glad to give it to her.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:19 AM

264 posts, read 100,826 times
Quote:
As you say, there is no mass migration of young conservatives, but the class you acknowledge as moving out are almost universally liberal.

It has been declared by more than one person that there was no switch of political parties in Mississippi. There was a switch of people. Older Democrats have died off, younger ones have moved away, and been replaced with conservatives like me who have "been away" to other places for most of their lives.
Additionally, many Black people are questioning whether they are liberal at all. Traditionally, Black people go to church, do not get abortions, have little interest in LGBT rights, and are generally opposed to illegal immigrants taking jobs from Americans, so they find themselves uninterested in much of the liberal dialogue.

Really do think that many Black Americans, especially the middle aged to older individuals, are indeed conservative in many respects - more than people realize.

Recently had the same thought, a city/state that is conservative in the sense that there is strong interest in traditional families, equitable treatment of Blacks, conviction to a relationship to God, diverse and walkable neighborhoods, etc.

Where is such a place?

Mississippi?

Old 06-23-2020, 08:02 AM

25,559 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedThink View Post
Really do think that many Black Americans, especially the middle aged to older individuals, are indeed conservative in many respects - more than people realize.

Recently had the same thought, a city/state that is conservative in the sense that there is strong interest in traditional families, equitable treatment of Blacks, conviction to a relationship to God, diverse and walkable neighborhoods, etc.

Where is such a place?

Mississippi?
I can only speak of what I have seen. And what I am seeing is that in times like now, when racial tensions are tense, Black and White folks around here are very careful to be respectful of each other. Doors are being held open, greetings exchanged at the gas pump and casual hello's are more common than I have ever seen.
Our middle call neighborhood, just inside the city limits, is fully integrated.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:04 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedThink View Post

Where is such a place?

Mississippi?
All over, nationwide. Identity politics is a political game practiced by some, which of course has it's ultimate tragic results - some old white guy telling a black guy what party he should vote, as if they should "identify" with a certain way of thinking. Now also it is compromised by the "who screams the loudest" - mobs telling people how they should think.

Everyone has the same interests and concerns - crime, family, jobs. These truths exist for both parties, all ethnicities. There is a silent majority, weather you lean left or right, that have much more in common with each other than you realize. That's why I don't prescribe to this "oh move to a conservative place". I don't discuss politics with my neighbors or those I meet in the streets. It really doesn't matter that much, maybe still changes in laws and taxes. But, generally, ignore politics, ignores the media, ignore the mobs trying to tell one how they should think.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:00 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,093,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
I don't know when it will happen, but MS will be the first African American majority state. MS will start voting democratic prior to that when the whites who vote democrat are factored in.
Historically the state been majority Afram before. If the current pace continues for another 2 or 3 decades ot will be.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:39 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofms View Post

After doing some research it is easy to see that we will be part of the mass migration of conservatives converging on the state looking for reasonable home prices, outdoor recreation and a more relaxed, peaceful pace with a low crime rate.
Mississippi really should promote itself as a conservative paradise to all the conservatives who are fleeing California as a cheaper alternative to Idaho and Texas.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:07 PM

926 posts, read 416,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Mississippi really should promote itself as a conservative paradise to all the conservatives who are fleeing California as a cheaper alternative to Idaho and Texas.
Absolutely. They should also try and develop public transportation in the larger cities. Having good public transit options in Jackson, for example, would make the city a lot more attractive to those who don't drive.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:07 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
People would also want the quality of life those places offer, and that usually doesn't mean Mississippi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Absolutely. They should also try and develop public transportation in the larger cities. Having good public transit options in Jackson, for example, would make the city a lot more attractive to those who don't drive.
That's a progressive way of thinking that usually isn't supported there, do you think a large comprehensive transit system would ever pass if it came to a vote?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi