Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 05:10 PM

77 posts, read 197,808 times

Advertisements

but that ain't what it takes to love me.

OK, I kill bugs for a living. Sorry Voyager, I spray the little buggers to death, literally.
But, after reading through this thread I gotta tell ya,
NO Pest Control application will kill all your spiders. Spiders are one of the more difficult bugs for us to control.
Our "products" must come in contact with the spider, not the other way around.
The best solutions are:
1) Eliminate harborage areas, such as wood piles, old toys / automobiles etc.
2) Knock down all spider webs, around your house, as you see them.
3) Install yellow or sodium vapor light bulbs outdoors since these attract fewer insects for spiders to feed upon.
(Does this really work in Mo?)
4) Do what you can to eliminate insects in the area. (Food source)

As a Pest Terminator, I kill the food source and knock down their grocery stores - aka webs.

As for snakes ... I say Kill 'em ... KILL 'em ALL ... preferably before
we move to Mo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 07:27 PM

871 posts, read 1,985,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicas3 View Post
Hello all. I am planning to move to Springfield near the end of Septemeber. I have some questions about spiders. I plan to live in the "city" area of Springfield. How often should I expect to see spiders in my home? In an apartment building setting, should I expect to see them on the second or third floors? Also, is there some kind of pest control that can take care of spiders? Thanks!
Im from Cali and have spent 8 weeks in Springfield. I remember seeing a lot of daddy long legs there. I mean a lot. This was out in the boonies. I never once in my eight weeks seen anything dangerous so to speak. Not a lot of experience I know but it may give a little peace of mind knowing that its not much different then here.I see it like this, The threat level is no different than Cali. There are just different species. My own yard is full of black widows. I have never been bit once. Where I camp. I have seen snakes, Scorpians, tarantulas and even coyotes.
My youngest brother has been bitten by black widows and a baby rattler. He's just fine. His fault too, he goes out and tries to catch all kinds of things.
So like many others have said before, if your just careful where you put your hands and feet you will probably be just fine.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:02 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,383,163 times
Default I like this guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastescapee View Post
but that ain't what it takes to love me.

OK, I kill bugs for a living. Sorry Voyager, I spray the little buggers to death, literally.
But, after reading through this thread I gotta tell ya,
NO Pest Control application will kill all your spiders. Spiders are one of the more difficult bugs for us to control.
Our "products" must come in contact with the spider, not the other way around.
The best solutions are:
1) Eliminate harborage areas, such as wood piles, old toys / automobiles etc.
2) Knock down all spider webs, around your house, as you see them.
3) Install yellow or sodium vapor light bulbs outdoors since these attract fewer insects for spiders to feed upon.
(Does this really work in Mo?)
4) Do what you can to eliminate insects in the area. (Food source)

As a Pest Terminator, I kill the food source and knock down their grocery stores - aka webs.

As for snakes ... I say Kill 'em ... KILL 'em ALL ... preferably before
we move to Mo.
Glad to know I'm doing all I can...my best friend is my Webster and my spider spray...especially when you live near the lake.
And they LOVE boat docks...

Old 12-31-2007, 06:02 PM

100 posts, read 420,749 times
Default yikes!

nevermind! THis jersey girl had Missouri on the list of possible places to move to (as I am so OUT of NJ, its too expensive here) but after reading this thread, I decided no! The scariest thing we see here are mosquitos. OK and a few ticks. But the thought of waking up and seeing a large tarantula on the wall kinda freaks me out! My brother claims he is still moving to MO so I guess I will just visit to see the butterflies then leave to whereever I am moving to! Maybe Alaska as the bugs might freeze there.... people make fun on NJ but I would sure stay if I could afford to!

Old 12-31-2007, 07:34 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Talking good grief!

Y'all are cracking me up with the bug thing! I would take those bugs any day, compared to what I have to contend with here in Fl........ try spiders as big as your hand, roaches and palmetto bugs that could park your car if they wished, more kinds of venomous snakes than you can shake a stick at, and dont even get me started about the gators.
I will never forget the first time I saw a wolf spider, I thought I was gonna die, I had just moved here from Mo.... and everybody still wants to move here? I would just as soon go home to Mo.....

Old 01-01-2008, 07:29 AM

100 posts, read 420,749 times
Hence the reason Florida is not on my list to move too as well! My brother told me he doesnt care if the tarantula's move in and have their own bedroom, he is moving to Missouri. He likes how laid back it is and the cost of living is very low compared to NJ. I told him when I visit I dont want to use that bedroom, i'll stay at a hotel!

Old 01-01-2008, 01:55 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimsely1 View Post
Hence the reason Florida is not on my list to move too as well! My brother told me he doesnt care if the tarantula's move in and have their own bedroom, he is moving to Missouri. He likes how laid back it is and the cost of living is very low compared to NJ. I told him when I visit I dont want to use that bedroom, i'll stay at a hotel!
the bugs will probably get you at the hotel too!

Old 01-01-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
the bugs will probably get you at the hotel too!
LOL

Old 01-01-2008, 02:21 PM

17 posts, read 45,976 times
Default spiders

You lived in central Florida and never saw big spiders! I live here now and have never seen so many bugs in my life. All kind of spiders too.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Y'all are cracking me up with the bug thing! I would take those bugs any day, compared to what I have to contend with here in Fl........ try spiders as big as your hand, roaches and palmetto bugs that could park your car if they wished, more kinds of venomous snakes than you can shake a stick at, and dont even get me started about the gators.
I will never forget the first time I saw a wolf spider, I thought I was gonna die, I had just moved here from Mo.... and everybody still wants to move here? I would just as soon go home to Mo.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossum View Post
You lived in central Florida and never saw big spiders! I live here now and have never seen so many bugs in my life. All kind of spiders too.
Please! I am looking at one right now on my porch! Hubby says they eat roaches, and shure 'nuff, he is having a palmetto bug snack Yuck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri