Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 01:59 PM

20 posts, read 96,668 times

Advertisements

I just returned last night from Joplin, was helping out as a volunteer. We were told that over 400 had been arrested for looting the area. Hard to believe any one would steal from others who have lost so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 07:07 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,941,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basspikr View Post
I just returned last night from Joplin, was helping out as a volunteer. We were told that over 400 had been arrested for looting the area. Hard to believe any one would steal from others who have lost so much.
In New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, there was a great deal of looting too, as well as drugs and murderers. Many of those who supposedly came to help with the rebuilding had less than admirable motives and simply came to New Orleans to steal copper out of houses. These were not all local residents and according to news stories quite a few of those that were caught, were from south of the border. Anyway, houses that were undamaged by the storm were made uninhabitable due to no wiring left, and electricians were rare to nonexistent during those times so they couldn't be fixed for quite a while. We had armed National Guard in Humvees patrolling the devastated area for 2-3 years to try to keep some semblance of order. That really helped.

It was such a nightmare. I am so sorry that the residents of Joplin are going through this too. Breaks my heart.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 06-04-2011 at 07:17 PM..

Old 06-04-2011, 09:25 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,472,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
I do remember many times seeing a field of elephants as a teen in the early to mid 90s just east of Joplin although I can't say their exact location.
Those elephants are still there, off and on. The Tarzan Zerbini Circus has its winter barn on I-44 between Carthage and Joplin. It is a bit odd to drive down the Interstate and see 3 or 4 pachyderms enjoying a warm winter day out in the field, next to cows.
They were forced to rebuild the barn a few years ago due to either a small tornado or heavy straight-line winds.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:44 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,472,382 times
My husband and I drove down some parts of Joplin that we had not been to this evening. The devastation is just incredible-so complete and so extensive! The piles of tree limbs and rubble is unbelievable. Yet just a couple blocks away, you would never know anything had happened. People are still going to the mall, and out to eat on Saturday night. Kids have ball games. Several businesses are already cleared and rebuilding. Walgreen's has a temporary pharmacy, the destroyed Home Depot has tents up selling lumber and supplies, AT&T has at least 2 temporary locations. Payless shoes has a new concrete pad and frame starting to go up. There are still numerous disaster relief trucks and mobile insurance vehicles set up around town but the general mood is that we need to get things back to normal as soon as possible.
It is very strange to see a larger number of people than usual walking around with cuts, bruises and black eyes. Many vehicles have shattered or missing glass or large dents from flying debris.
After seeing how far the damage extends, it is just a miracle that we didn't lose more people than we did. Any loss of life is tragic, but it could have been so much worse. Had the tornado shifted 1/4 mile, we could have lost both hospitals. I cannot imagine what that would be like. The new St. John's will be built farther from Freeman Hospital, in an effort to avoid that scenario. In the meantime, the MASH unit is up and running and getting more services every week. I will get to work there for the first time on the 16th. Mercy Health Systems has been incredibly supportive, continuing to pay our wages and provide benefits, as well as calling all co-workers to make sure their and their families needs are being met. At least those who lost their homes don't have to worry about not having a paycheck to fall back on. Heaven knows they have enough other things to worry about.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:04 AM

694 posts, read 1,357,540 times
This video is not easy to watch. First, because the storm chaser is about as annoying as is humanly possible, but most importantly, because you pull in and witness a completely annihilated subdivision right after the twister comes thru. You can literally feel the desperation and shock.

YouTube - ‪EF 5 Joplin Tornado and Aftermath May 22, 2011.mov‬‏

The death toll rose to 141 this morning.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:43 AM

38 posts, read 138,965 times
Looters = Volunteer blood doners I wish.

I forsee a judge issueing LOTS of community service. Put them to work asap.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:43 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
This video is not easy to watch. First, because the storm chaser is about as annoying as is humanly possible, but most importantly, because you pull in and witness a completely annihilated subdivision right after the twister comes thru. You can literally feel the desperation and shock.

YouTube - ‪EF 5 Joplin Tornado and Aftermath May 22, 2011.mov‬‏

The death toll rose to 141 this morning.

wow........

Old 06-09-2011, 01:36 PM

55 posts, read 110,307 times
I feel a need to share this here.

Back from Joplin | The Changelog

x

Old 06-09-2011, 02:01 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
And then to add insult to injury: Aggressive fungus compounds tornado trauma | Springfield News-Leader | News-Leader.com

Old 06-09-2011, 07:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post

Wow. I wonder if that fungus showed up in Alabama and Mississippi following their tornado.

"Its not that the wind blows, its WHAT the wind blows"- Ron White

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 06-09-2011 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri