Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:22 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basspikr View Post
I just returned last night from Joplin, was helping out as a volunteer. We were told that over 400 had been arrested for looting the area. Hard to believe any one would steal from others who have lost so much.
They should hold a public hanging!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 02:23 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times
Thumbs up News, Brad and Angelina give Joplin $500,000.

JOPLIN, Mo., June 12 (UPI) -- U.S. actors Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have given $500,000 to help Joplin recover from a huge tornado that destroyed 30 percent of the Missouri town May 22.

Pitt and Jolie are well known for their philanthropy, and Pitt has a connection to Joplin, The Joplin Globe reported.

Read more: Brad and Angelina give Joplin $500,000 - UPI.com

Old 06-17-2011, 08:06 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,861,543 times
I think this article has some points of interest.

Most tornado fatalities occurred where people lived » Local News » The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

Old 06-17-2011, 03:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Arrow Fundraiser for Joplin youth: June 25th NWTF Joplin Youth Day of Fun

Quote:
The Sugar Creek Gobblers NWTF Chapter is hosting a JAKES fishing event for 300 youth left homeless by a massive tornado that struck Joplin, Mo., in May.

The all-day fishing event will take place June 25 at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Neosho National Fish Hatchery. It will include transportation, lunch, all-you-can-eat ice cream and more.

Most importantly, the aptly titled Fishing for Rainbows event will give youth a momentary escape from the devastating effects of the recent tornado.
more details here:
National Wild Turkey Federation

Old 06-20-2011, 03:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Exclamation Joplin pets need owners to claim them or they'll be adopted

Please spread this link to anyone you know from Joplin who may still be missing their pet!

Joplin Pets: Pictures of animals left homeless by Joplin MO tornado - WDAF (http://www.fox4kc.com/news/kspr-joplin-pets-pictures-of-animals-left-homeless-by-joplin-mo-tornado-20110617,0,1108615.photogallery - broken link)

Quote:
Pictures: Pets rescued from Joplin, MO tornado

The Joplin Humane Society has about 900 animals who were rescued from the devastation left by a deadly tornado on May 22. The organization plans an "Adopt-a-thon" the weekend of June 25-26. Any animals that haven't been claimed by that point will be spayed and neutered and given away free to good homes
Direct link to Joplin Humane Society: http://www.joplinhumane.org/

Old 06-20-2011, 04:50 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,861,543 times
Oh look at all those kitties. We have one cat, she's a spayed less than completely tame cat and if she'd get along with another cat, I'd love to give another a home. I just don't know though.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:16 AM

1,149 posts, read 2,515,083 times
The death toll from the devastating tornado that ripped through Joplin, Mo., last month has risen to 155.
God, I pray, it will stop!

Okie

Old 06-21-2011, 01:15 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,515,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
This video is not easy to watch. First, because the storm chaser is about as annoying as is humanly possible, but most importantly, because you pull in and witness a completely annihilated subdivision right after the twister comes thru. You can literally feel the desperation and shock.

YouTube - ‪EF 5 Joplin Tornado and Aftermath May 22, 2011.mov‬‏

The death toll rose to 141 this morning.
First of all,I would like to thank you for posting the video.
I do humbly disagree about the storm chaser being annoying. I thought he did a wonderful job under the circumstances.
Thanks again
Okie

Old 06-21-2011, 11:31 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,905,905 times
Is there still anything people can do to help? I was in St. Louis last month for work, and I have to say, the people of Missouri were some of the nicest I have met. Here back east, people are always in a hurry to get somewhere, and could give a rat's a$$ about the others around them, but that just didn't seem like the case in Missouri.

I am seriously wondering if there is anything we can do to help. They did a report here on one of Cleveland's channels the other day about the tornado, and me and my girlfriend were wondering if it is possible to head out that way just to help out. Even if we can make it somewhat easier for just one individual, I would be happy to do so.

My prayers are with the people of the great state of Missouri.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:58 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
Default PTSD and the Joplin Tornado

Piecing life back together in Joplin - CNN iReport Blog

The roar that tore through Joplin, carving a 14 mile-long path, is now behind us, but our journey through the aftermath still feels like it's just begun. It's been a month since that fateful Sunday, but still we sleep on borrowed beds, and we continue to pick up the pieces of our ravaged lives.

Having only read and seen pictures of Joplin. I did go to help in Greensburg Ks. We were talking and i think it needs to be said that should you and your family decide to move away and start over elsewhere; then that is totally alright and you are just as brave as everyone else. IMO. I know what it was like as a child with the Ruskin Tornado of 1957. Although just very near it; i still get nervous when i see similar weather conditions. You don't have to stay because the majority are staying. Just let your heart lead you to do what is best for your family.

I guess i might catch some flack for this post. I felt it needed to be said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri