Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:55 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,689,180 times

Advertisements

The GOP lost big last night and the reason is an unhealthy obsession with abortion and gay marriage and other social issues.
The GOP will continue to decline until they get off of this ridiculous bent over these issues. Fiscal Conservatism is a philosophy that is becoming more and more popular day by day. Political social conservatism is declining and will continue to decline unless there is another Great Awakening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
Nobody voted for Aiken. A lot of people chose to vote AGAINST McCaskill though. Neither are good for Missouri.

Republicans need to stop sabotaging themselves with (what should be) non-issues like abortion. It's not going anywhere, and I'm never going to vote for old men who can't stop talking about what women should do with their anatomy.
amen. My southern conservative dad voted for McCaskill (Well, actually he voted against Akin). He was swearing all night Monday night about how ridiculous it was that the GOP would field a candidate worse than Claire McCaskill and that he was going to have to vote for her. Cape Girardeau County ended up voting 54/41/5 in favor of Akin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
What it reveals is where the radical right in MO are...

Missouri Senate Race - 2012 Election Center - Elections & Politics from CNN.com
Well, seeing as how Akin is from New York, I guess they come from out of state. Once again, a journalist from POPLAR BLUFF, which is located 10 miles away from the great state of Arkansas, was the one that exposed Akin for the angry old man that he is. Maybe the fact that so many votes were still logged for Akin shows how unappealing of a candidate McCaskill is to rural Missourians.

We all know that you never pass up an opportunity to look down on southern Missouri though.

Last edited by GunnerTHB; 11-07-2012 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 09:14 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
^ Akin might have been born in New York, but he was brought up in St. Louis and graduated from John Burroughs, which is about as elite St. Louis as it gets (tuition is well more than 20k per year).

Which is really neither here nor there, but worth noting all the same.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:08 AM

155 posts, read 279,005 times
did I read right. Romney got 53 peercent of the vote and still lossed
can somoone clue me in as to why he lossed

Old 11-07-2012, 11:49 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving46 View Post
did I read right. Romney got 53 peercent of the vote and still lossed
can somoone clue me in as to why he lossed
Do you mean in Missouri or nationally? Yes, either way, you read something wrong.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:07 PM

694 posts, read 1,357,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morebelwoman View Post
congratulations to the 50% or so of americans that voted for obama! The rest of us will have to endure a country where:

We must try to find some whine to go with our cheese
Senator Aiken?-sorry.jpg

Old 11-07-2012, 01:04 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,889,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Get out in the real world instead.

Congrats to Claire and the intelligent people of Missouri, Aiken is a douche.
Yes, thank you Missouri! Casting a vote against that fool must've felt really, really good.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,808,812 times
^I think the other goods news from this is that (as an independent moderate who voted DEM across the board this time), it's good to see that MO GOP is mostly moderate. Many who did vote for Romney also voted for McCaskill and Nixon (D) for Gov, a big chunk also voted for neither in Senate or for the Lib (6%). That implies there are quite a few moderate GOP'rs in MO.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:01 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,808,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
How is Obamacare "fortunately dying"?

It's odds of a healthy furture are brighter than ever.
It sounds good on paper but would be a logistical nightmare to pull off. It's a mess and wasn't a good approach. I hope he isn't stubborn about pushing most of it through and it sounds like it will get watered down quite a bit. I posted earlier a completely different approach (to Medicare) by buying patents and making medicine open source, but that's way to complicated for politicians to understand.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
The GOP lost big last night and the reason is an unhealthy obsession with abortion and gay marriage and other social issues.
The GOP will continue to decline until they get off of this ridiculous bent over these issues. Fiscal Conservatism is a philosophy that is becoming more and more popular day by day. Political social conservatism is declining and will continue to decline unless there is another Great Awakening.

amen. My southern conservative dad voted for McCaskill (Well, actually he voted against Akin). He was swearing all night Monday night about how ridiculous it was that the GOP would field a candidate worse than Claire McCaskill and that he was going to have to vote for her. Cape Girardeau County ended up voting 54/41/5 in favor of Akin.

Well, seeing as how Akin is from New York, I guess they come from out of state. Once again, a journalist from POPLAR BLUFF, which is located 10 miles away from the great state of Arkansas, was the one that exposed Akin for the angry old man that he is. Maybe the fact that so many votes were still logged for Akin shows how unappealing of a candidate McCaskill is to rural Missourians.

We all know that you never pass up an opportunity to look down on southern Missouri though.
Akin deserved to get beatin and I couldn't be happier, even if it doesn't help the Republicans in the Senate. Sometimes we have to bite the bullet and do what is right. Now, that I have said that, what happened to the Republicans last night and what happened to Akin has nothing to do with Homosexuality. Why did you bring that into the picture?

As for McCaskill, she too is an idiot in my view. They both such big time, for different reasons.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:24 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,689,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
^I think the other goods news from this is that (as an independent moderate who voted DEM across the board this time), it's good to see that MO GOP is mostly moderate. Many who did vote for Romney also voted for McCaskill and Nixon (D) for Gov, a big chunk also voted for neither in Senate or for the Lib (6%). That implies there are quite a few moderate GOP'rs in MO.
I think many of McCaskill's votes from GOP'ers came from Akin being an idiot. I will agree with you though that Nixon earned many Republican votes. I think he has been a very good governor and I voted for him. I would consider myself somewhere between Libertarian and Republican.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Akin deserved to get beatin and I couldn't be happier, even if it doesn't help the Republicans in the Senate. Sometimes we have to bite the bullet and do what is right. Now, that I have said that, what happened to the Republicans last night and what happened to Akin has nothing to do with Homosexuality. Why did you bring that into the picture?

As for McCaskill, she too is an idiot in my view. They both such big time, for different reasons.
Well, what I said was "Gay marriage", not homosexuality. I firmly believe that if the GOP moderated itself as a party on social issues, even slightly, that Romney would have easily won last night. That doesn't mean compromising your principles, it means maximizing individual freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri