Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:11 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,687,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Wow do I agree with your Ellington observation. I mentioned this in another thread once, and it involves another town on the Current and Jacks Fork, which is Eminence. I felt as though this town was distinctly southern, but by the time you reach Salem, 40 miles north, you feel as though you've made a complete transformation into the Midwest.

The one town that appears to be in the midwest, via the map, but feels southern to me, is Potosi, which is north of Ellington. I have no idea why this town specifically does not feel midwestern to me, but it doesn't.
I've never personally got the southern vibe from Potosi. It definitely feels like the the heart of the Ozarks though even though it is pretty far removed from much of what is considered to be the Ozarks. Although, the Baptist church in Potosi is specifically called "Potosi Southern Baptist Church". Of course that refers to the denomination but still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 PM

8 posts, read 18,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I've never personally got the southern vibe from Potosi. It definitely feels like the the heart of the Ozarks though even though it is pretty far removed from much of what is considered to be the Ozarks. Although, the Baptist church in Potosi is specifically called "Potosi Southern Baptist Church". Of course that refers to the denomination but still.
Potosi isn't fully southern.

Potosi is in the transition zone of Midwest, and south like southern IL, and Southern IN, but with Ozarks flavor thrown in. Same as Farmington, Park Hills. Those are in the transition zones. It is strange how St. Gen county is totally different that St. Francois county even though they're next to each other.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlue View Post
Potosi isn't fully southern.

Potosi is in the transition zone of Midwest, and south like southern IL, and Southern IN, but with Ozarks flavor thrown in. Same as Farmington, Park Hills. Those are in the transition zones. It is strange how St. Gen county is totally different that St. Francois county even though they're next to each other.
It's pretty well midwestern as a whole.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalARMO View Post
I totally agree with GunnerTHB's Missouri map. I think it is the most accurate one I've ever seen out of all in Missouri threads.
Thank you sir. I consider myself southern but I was born and raised about 10 miles north of that line, so I might be biased by setting the line at Cape instead of just south of it, but my experience tells me that Cape is a true cultural border city.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:24 PM

220 posts, read 453,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
I am going to have to disagree with you. How many times have you been to northwest ark/southwest mo? I will tell you yes bentonville/rogers are less southern....but there are still many people from other parts of Arkansas that move into these places. The UofA is in Fayetteville, and kids that go there are GENERALLY from Arkansas, so that has a big influence on the Fayetteville area. Also as soon as you get out of the Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers area, everything is completely southern. I invite you to visit places like Berryville,Arkansas(pronounced by locals as Burvul), Noel, Missouri or even Pea Ridge, Arkansas. All of these are fairly close to the nwa metro and very southern. Neosho, Missouri is in between Joplin and Bentonville, and is very southern as well. Btw hear is an example of a few different local kids from right outside the NWA metro area...I believe they are in Pea Ridge which is about 30 mins at most from the metro.

Bow Doe Management : GoPro : Deer Hunting : The Huntin Grounds : Season 2 Episode 1 - YouTube
Considerable time, I guess I've just never noticed it. Even that video I wouldn't consider southern, more midwestern with a hint of southern.

I've even been to all of those cities, even Berryville for some reason, a cavern maybe? It's in between the 71 corridor and Springfield/Branson though where I said things turn southern.

Somewhere between Rogers and Fayetteville is the line heading south I think.

...we're really nitpicking at this point.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 PM

620 posts, read 1,233,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
Considerable time, I guess I've just never noticed it. Even that video I wouldn't consider southern, more midwestern with a hint of southern.

I've even been to all of those cities, even Berryville for some reason, a cavern maybe? It's in between the 71 corridor and Springfield/Branson though where I said things turn southern.

Somewhere between Rogers and Fayetteville is the line heading south I think.

...we're really nitpicking at this point.
Well I lived in Independence Missouri for one year, and now live back home in Branson. Those two cities are very different culturally as well as when it comes to climate and architecture. I don't think berryville has anything midwestern about it. I think you are confusing deep southern from upper southern with ozarks influence. They are completely different. Not every area in the south is the same. Not like it hasn't already been posted, but this is a fairly accurate map for our area, I believe http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...EnglishMap.jpg
Best GMC Dealer Berryville, AR | GMC Dealership Berryville, AR - YouTube yes people in Berryville have very midwestern accents...LOL. Here is what has happened. Many transplants have moved into Bentonville, Springdale, and to a lesser extent....Fayetteville. Just because that has happened doesn't mean you can cancel them out and say they are no longer southern. If that was the case we would say Atlanta is no longer a southern city....nashville too. All the towns that surround these cities are southern...it's a very strange dynamic.

Last edited by imbored198824; 02-12-2013 at 05:24 PM..

Old 02-12-2013, 06:05 PM

8 posts, read 18,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Thank you sir. I consider myself southern but I was born and raised about 10 miles north of that line, so I might be biased by setting the line at Cape instead of just south of it, but my experience tells me that Cape is a true cultural border city.
Also with Cape you have to wonder how much the college has an impact since you have people from not only all over America, but all over the world coming to school. Like you were saying how rural Cape County is southern in some areas, and the smaller town Jackson to the north is more southern than Cape Girardeau is.

For eastern MO I see Cape being a good rough line to draw the dixie/southern line. South central MO is harder as it seems the dixie area spikes north a bit and some of the dialect maps show that spike too near to Lebanon, but then it dips south and ends south of Joplin even though Joplin is pretty far south in the state its still not fully southern as StLouisain will even agree.

Eastern MO it's easy to make the southern map because the transition is so sharp in Cape county compared to the Ozarks where it varies.

Florida perhaps is another hard state to draw a map for. I'd say even harder due to all the transplants and having to cookie cut everything due to a difference of just a few miles you have different cultures.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
I thought it was the border with Arkansas.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
For the most part, nope.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:29 PM

620 posts, read 1,233,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
*sigh* cultural borders don't follow exactly along state lines, that not how it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri