Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:53 PM

7 posts, read 18,196 times

Advertisements

Email me at Mod Cut Send the e-mail info to posters via a DM if they request it regarding a place for rent or sale. I may able to help you.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 05-28-2008 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 04:50 PM

3 posts, read 9,134 times
Default Tourism Pro's and Con's

I'd like for everyone who loves this area to consider the facts about the tourism subject and the Eminence economy situation. As a native of the area, it was so fun growing up in the Ozarks just 13 miles from Alley Springs, I am a bonified hillbilly and proud of it. Alley was alive and jumping with tourist. There was so much to do for families. Imagine this...a roller skating rink, trampolines, miniturare golf course, horseback riding around Jack's Fork River, a nice diner that sold great ice cream and burgers, a snow cone and snack shack in the Alley park, well groomed lawns where you could see the springs from any angle from atop the pavillion hillside. One old timer was even giving whiskey still making demonstrations and you smell the moonshine in the air. The old mill hosted a gift shop where as a little kid, I could buy native american dolls, whistles, cool homemade toys and my favorite horehound candy. It was a beautiful place to grow up and I spent just about every weekend in the summer having fun and meeting friends from all over the state who were camped out there for a week at a time and not just weekends like today.
Then, after the flash flood around 1975 that distroyed the bridges and roads in the park, the National government took it over from MO State. I don't know what happened they acquried it from the state and nobody can seem to tell me how, but in an instant it was gone. The National Scenic Riverways insisted the local business had to go within the park that the locals run. There were going to take the park "back to nature" and along with it came bugs by the droves, threat of snakes, water cress out of control and so on. Nature has a way of also destoying itself.
So went the days of the tourist boom in the area and left the Ozark people that lived in Eminence depending on the tourist trade with nothing but closed shops. Today, the largest majority of the high scholl grads are forced to leave the area for work.
I think Eminence is in desperate need of the "family tourists" and it needs a new image to survive with the decline in tourism in the state this year.
Please support the town with your tourism plans and dollars. There is so much to explore in the area, it can easily take a week to get to know.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:58 PM

287 posts, read 1,087,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonified View Post
I'd like for everyone who loves this area to consider the facts about the tourism subject and the Eminence economy situation. As a native of the area, it was so fun growing up in the Ozarks just 13 miles from Alley Springs, I am a bonified hillbilly and proud of it. Alley was alive and jumping with tourist. There was so much to do for families. Imagine this...a roller skating rink, trampolines, miniturare golf course, horseback riding around Jack's Fork River, a nice diner that sold great ice cream and burgers, a snow cone and snack shack in the Alley park, well groomed lawns where you could see the springs from any angle from atop the pavillion hillside. One old timer was even giving whiskey still making demonstrations and you smell the moonshine in the air. The old mill hosted a gift shop where as a little kid, I could buy native american dolls, whistles, cool homemade toys and my favorite horehound candy. It was a beautiful place to grow up and I spent just about every weekend in the summer having fun and meeting friends from all over the state who were camped out there for a week at a time and not just weekends like today.
Then, after the flash flood around 1975 that distroyed the bridges and roads in the park, the National government took it over from MO State. I don't know what happened they acquried it from the state and nobody can seem to tell me how, but in an instant it was gone. The National Scenic Riverways insisted the local business had to go within the park that the locals run. There were going to take the park "back to nature" and along with it came bugs by the droves, threat of snakes, water cress out of control and so on. Nature has a way of also destoying itself.
So went the days of the tourist boom in the area and left the Ozark people that lived in Eminence depending on the tourist trade with nothing but closed shops. Today, the largest majority of the high scholl grads are forced to leave the area for work.
I think Eminence is in desperate need of the "family tourists" and it needs a new image to survive with the decline in tourism in the state this year.
Please support the town with your tourism plans and dollars. There is so much to explore in the area, it can easily take a week to get to know.
I'm surprised to hear this about Eminence. I grew up going to the August ride at CCTR every year, and it seemed like a (small) but bustling town. I know the trail ride is just one industry, but they have one about 9 months of the year, and it always seemed to attract a LOT of people to the town, especially families. Has it slowed down recently? I haven't been in about 8 years. Just curious.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:33 AM

Default ANR Reply

Hi ANR... Thanks for replying, wasn't sure if this blog was dead or what. Last week, I was down to visit my friend at Crystal Creek Ranch in Eminence and to chat with the Current Wave editor, Rodger Dillion. Tourism is down and times are hard there. The cost of fuel has been declared the highest in the state according to St. Louis news.
While the trail rides generate revenue for the trail ride mostly for the facilities, my guess is they don't have as many as they have in the past and with the tourist river visitors down, it's hurting the summer economy this summer. Here's the Cross Country Trailrides website calendar: Cross Country Trail Ride
There are 8 major rides from May to Nov. 1st. That 5 months with no tourists trade. Sad for sure. They tell me the bluegrass festival, which was the biggest in the state at one time, is gone for 2009. That is really a shame. April was a terrible time to have a bluegrass festival down there, many times the weather was too cold and rainy to camp. Mr. Smith also booked the same costly bands every year. He just spent too much money on them and was over budget every year.
Sorry, it's a bleak outlook right now for Eminence, but there hanging in there!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:56 AM

287 posts, read 1,087,021 times
That's too bad to hear! I wonder if it has anything to do with the park service's crackdown on partying on the rivers? I'm sure it doesn't help (at least with the younger crowd). I actually like it when there's fewer people--we'll have to book a trip there soon The area's too beautiful to be bypassed. I wish someone would build some luxury cabins or inns. That's what I think the Ozarks is missing....but that's a whole other topic...

Old 09-03-2008, 04:22 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,640 times
ANR, it's been a while since I have stayed at (used to be on the) River's Edge Resort. It was always pretty nice...there are also some cabin's behind the store that look pretty cozy. They also have a brand new bridge and have turned the old 19 bridge into a bike,hike, horse crossing.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:42 PM

For unique lodging in Eminence, check out www.crystalcreekranch.com That's a real cool place with several choices of rentals. It's real close to town and the river, but off the beaten path.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:10 PM

4 posts, read 15,438 times
My family and I used to camp at Alley every summer when I was a kid. I caught my first fish with my dad on the Current River.
There are so many memories there that it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I remember my mom taking me through town on a week end camping excursion when i was 10 or so...Everyone we met greeted us. Eminence had this atmosphere of being one big family. I have never felt like a stranger there. Its like that in a lot of small towns in southern Missouri. Life just moves at a slower pace and people take their time. Less rush, less hustle and bustle. Much more caring and concern and pure friendliness.
I haven't been back for a few years...got married, had babies, there was so much to do. But, as was said, Missouri calls to you. And even more so, the Ozarks calls to you. Visit once and you'll never want to leave...the people, the place, they become part of you and you a part of them.
Imagine walking into a place you have never been and before they even know your name, you are treated like family...If thats the kind of life you want to live, then Eminence Missouri is the place for you.
My family and I will be back this May. It will be the first , of hopefully many, visits for my daughters and my husband. We haven't even gotten past this year's trip yet and I have planned at least three trips for next year, lol. This place is in my heart. Nothing could ever take place of the memories made here and now its time to introduce it to another generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri