Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 08:09 AM

40 posts, read 207,912 times

Advertisements

My wife, and I are researching possible relocation from NY.

We like the country and would appreciate suggestions on specific locales in Missouri.

Our plus list includes.

Rural rolling farm land.
Access to town with sufficient medical facilities and shopping, but not too close to an overly large metro area.

Also, how are the winters. I know it is cold this year, but I am asking in general. Are the winters long?

We have a vacation home in Upstate NY, that is in a beautiful, rural area....but the winters are so long, and so cold, that we have decided against retiring up there. By early December winter is pretty much set in, and spring stays away until May.

TIA for any replies!

Last edited by arjr; 02-05-2007 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 10:10 AM

339 posts, read 1,425,532 times
Central Missouri (Columbia and Jefferson City) has rolling farmland and excellent hospital facilities.

Southwest Missouri (Springfield, Branson) has more rugged forested hills and pasture (not crop farms) and excellent medical facilities.

Springfield is as conservative as Columbia is liberal. Both are great areas for shopping and dining and entertainment. Springfield/Branson has slightly milder winters than Columbia/JC.

I live in Springfield now, having moved from Columbia. As for a description of our winters here in SW Missouri, we get lows in the single digits and weeks at a time below freezing. But we get a few days here and there above 50*, and occasionally we get 60* weather in mid-winter. The true cold usually lasts from December through February. We get some snow every year, but it varies between a dusting to a foot or more. This year we got ice (a 75 year event). Our weather is best described as variable.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:23 AM

40 posts, read 207,912 times
Thank you for your kind replies.

I probably should have mentioned that we lean to the conservative side, both politically and socially, and that those are the areas we would most likely feel more comfortable relocating to.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:55 AM

339 posts, read 1,425,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjr View Post
Thank you for your kind replies.

I probably should have mentioned that we lean to the conservative side, both politically and socially, and that those are the areas we would most likely feel more comfortable relocating to.
Welcome to Springfield!

By the way, our temperatures will be in the mid-50s today and Columbia will be in the 30s. It seems like weather systems are often seperated between Springfield/I-44 and the Missouri River. Yesterday St.Louis had bone chilling cold while we were fairly comfortable.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:35 AM

8 posts, read 57,953 times
For a combination of rural area, rolling topography and access to amenities and medical care, you might consider the Rolla area. Prices can vary from reasonable to out of sight, but you can find pretty much anything you're looking for. If you're looking for a good realtor, check out Red Caboose Realty in Licking (just south of Rolla) as they have a nice assortment and can show land anywhere around. removed

(And, no, I'm not associated with Red Caboose. I've used them and they're great!)

Last edited by Ozarks21; 02-08-2007 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: ad

Old 02-12-2007, 02:24 AM

132 posts, read 576,808 times
Might look at outside Liberty or the Kearney area northeast of the KC metro. It is not a really long drive to the city but you will still have that nice rural feel and breathing space from the city's traffic and other ills. Liberty itself has shopping and I'm sure there is a hospital there. Not sure if by "rolling" you prefer hilly landscape. In that case you would like the Ozarks better. Most of north Missouri is more akin to Iowa and Kansas and is flatter.
You should find the winters much milder here after spending time in upstate NY that time of year. The recent cold here has been unlike most of the last few winters around KC.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:33 AM

11 posts, read 54,466 times
If you want to live in a rural area, with great scenery and rolling hills, and decent medical facilities, come to West Plains. It's a small town of 15,000 and growing. People around here are pretty conservative, or just laid back enough not to care anyway.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:38 AM

54 posts, read 279,647 times
Default Hannibal

Hannibal MO is a town of 17,759 or around that anyways the land around hannibal is all country www.hanmo.com

Old 04-04-2007, 09:02 AM

54 posts, read 279,647 times
http://www.hannibal.k12.mo.us/ school district website should help you

Old 04-09-2007, 06:11 AM

106 posts, read 323,958 times
Try Cabool. We are moving down this June. It is rolling hills, clean and BEAUTIFUL. We just bought a 1600 sq.ft house, 5 acres, deck with pool for $65K and our taxes are just $273 a year. I believe there is only about 2400 people in the town. We live in the country but we are about 10-15 minutes to town. We can't wait. Check it out, you will be glad you did. Good Luck.

Kim and Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri