Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

Although I grew up much closer to St. Louis, I live in KC now. Having spent a lot of time in both, and really loving both, my main observations are thus:

-The St. Louis Zoo is MUCH better than the KC Zoo, and free, so props to that.

-I'll take the Nelson-Atkins over the art gallery in Forest Park in a heartbeat, although I LOVELOVELOVE the grounds that surround in St. Louis.

-While I'm on Forest Park, I love it and think it's the coolest thing about St. Louis, but KC also has absolutely fantastic public greenspace. It has so very many beautiful parks of so many sizes and varieties all over the metro. KC's boulevards and parks and fountains are every bit as impressive as Forest Park, IMO, just different.

-KC BBQ impresses me more than Italian from The Hill. Not that I don't enjoy Italian or The Hill.

-Being located on the Missippi River is a million times more picturesque than being located on the Missouri River, at least this part of the Missouri River.

-KC's skyline is prettier, to me, even though I spent more years looking at St. Louis's.

But both cities are fantastic, ripping either down in favor of the other is ridiculous.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
RickMG, you said Kansas City's architecture is far and away hands down over St. Louis. Just drive up Ward Parkway and you'll think you're in Beverly Hills.

We are only comparing the architecture in the only the city limits of both cities.
Ward Parkway actually is within KC city limits.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:37 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,776 times
Enjoy these great pics of STL posted by Juve on the KC Forum...

Jive's St. Louis City

Old 01-26-2009, 01:01 AM

366 posts, read 1,744,806 times
Quote:
RickMG, you said Kansas City's architecture is far and away hands down over St. Louis. Just drive up Ward Parkway and you'll think you're in Beverly Hills.

We are only comparing the architecture in the only the city limits of both cities. Have you actually driven around STL city and took notice of the architechture? Downtown, Soulard, Benton Park, Compton Heights, CWE, TG South and East, Midtown, Mvkinley Heights, Holly Hills, Carondalet, Old North STL, etc...

I think what you see will cause you to change your viewpoint. Any architecture junkie will side with STL in this category.
I have to admit, I'm not an architectural junkie, but do love old buildings and old homes. I do feel that one building on a block doesn't make for an architectual delight, but the entire area should have a theme.
There are wonderful architectural delights in St. Louis, but we tore down some of the best before we wised up and started restoring. Unfortunately, I think you'd find that most of the old buildings are half empty or have been turned into apartments. And, by the way, I could drive you around St. Louis from one end to the other and down streets I'll bet you didn't even know existed. When I was in my teens I worked at my family meat manufaturing business and for years I would ride along with the drivers and learn the customers and routes. By the way, if you ever want to know how well or bad a business is, ask the teamsters. They have to have a lot of common sense to be a good delivery driver. Also, Ward Parkway is in K.C.'s city limits.

Don't get me wrong, I still love St. Louis more than K.C., I just think that in my opinion K.C. is a wonderful city with a lot more of things we don't have. My answer the first time was just meant to say that I feel the K.C. architecture is nicer, not to say ours is bad, and maybe I shouldn't have said "hands down". I just think K.C. as a whole, has more option for places to go outside of sports, and they do have most of that too.

Here, you want to see architecture, look at my photos of our trip to Italy last October. Set for slideshow and they'll go by fast.

http://picasaweb.google.com/RickMG/I...ey=Hil-PvVDp4E

Old 01-26-2009, 03:02 PM

112 posts, read 381,231 times
Thanks for sharing Rick. What a nice vacation!

Old 01-26-2009, 03:33 PM

And, by the way, I could drive you around St. Louis from one end to the other and down streets I'll bet you didn't even know existed.

Thats a pretty bold statement RickMG considering you have no idea how long I have lived here (10 years inside the city limits with lots and lots of exploring). You probably thought I was in my teens. I am pretty certain times have changed since you bummed around with the delivery drivers years ago. Anyway, thanks for the pics.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:32 PM

366 posts, read 1,744,806 times
Quote:
And, by the way, I could drive you around St. Louis from one end to the other and down streets I'll bet you didn't even know existed.

Thats a pretty bold statement RickMG considering you have no idea how long I have lived here (10 years inside the city limits with lots and lots of exploring). You probably thought I was in my teens. I am pretty certain times have changed since you bummed around with the delivery drivers years ago. Anyway, thanks for the pics.
Well put, but I've been in St. Louis 58 years and have never gotten off the "route". The business was at Martin Luther King and Vandeventor until 1997 (I was 47), so I was there most of my life. Customers were all over the bi-state areas. I might not know much, but I know my way around.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:27 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
Guys, this is not a "Who has driven down Dodier" contest.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:16 PM

Just an example of the old STL attitude. Like I said, lots have changed in the past 10 years and keep in mind we are only comparing cities not metro areas.

I have said my last words. Back to the topic.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:40 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Guys, this is not a "Who has driven down Dodier" contest.
Doggone it, missed another one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri