Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 09:51 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times

Advertisements

Funny how this thread just fell off the face of the earth all of a sudden!

Old 07-31-2011, 10:55 PM

543 posts, read 855,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Funny how this thread just fell off the face of the earth all of a sudden!
It does that every few weeks.

Btw I wanted to ask, but why do I see so many Confederate Flags in the Springfield area? I know that is considered Dixie by most on here as it is not for from the AR border, but I've seen a lot there compared other areas.

I remember reading how NAACP complains about the confederate flags down there. Is it just because its a larger city?

Old 07-31-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
It does that every few weeks.

Btw I wanted to ask, but why do I see so many Confederate Flags in the Springfield area? I know that is considered Dixie by most on here as it is not for from the AR border, but I've seen a lot there compared other areas.

I remember reading how NAACP complains about the confederate flags down there. Is it just because its a larger city?
Havent been there since the early 80s, I dated a guy that was going to school there...spent quite a lot of time there back then.
There werent "so many Confederate flags" there back then, and I highly doubt things have changed in the past 20-some odd years.
I wish, just for once, you would provide some sort of solid proof about stuff like this, instead of just your "opinion".

Old 07-31-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Havent been there since the early 80s, I dated a guy that was going to school there...spent quite a lot of time there back then.
There werent "so many Confederate flags" there back then, and I highly doubt things have changed in the past 20-some odd years.
I wish, just for once, you would provide some sort of solid proof about stuff like this, instead of just your "opinion".
They also sell them in a lot of the stores down there, and at Table Rock. I know cause my mom would buy the little ones for me when we went down there cause I thought they were neat, and yes I had American flags too.

Really though you dont even see the battle flag much anymore. Even driving thru Georgia, TN I don't see a lot of them.

I think that era is over with for the most part. When I lived in Naples you didn't see a lot of them at all. Most people would think your white trash if you drove around with one. There was maybe 5 rednecks at my highschool and most students made fun of redneck culture. In the small central FL towns Ive seen some flags but not huge numbers of them. Only state probably has a lot are MS and AL.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
They also sell them in a lot of the stores down there, and at Table Rock. I know cause my mom would buy the little ones for me when we went down there cause I thought they were neat, and yes I had American flags too.

Really though you dont even see the battle flag much anymore. Even driving thru Georgia, TN I don't see a lot of them.

I think that era is over with for the most part. When I lived in Naples you didn't see a lot of them at all. Most people would think your white trash if you drove around with one. There was maybe 5 rednecks at my highschool and most students made fun of redneck culture. In the small central FL towns Ive seen some flags but not huge numbers of them. Only state probably has a lot are MS and AL.
Naples is pretty much Yankee/retiree central.
Where I am is pretty much the same, although there are certain places out in the Ocala National Forest that are still shamefully ignorant, Hogtown comes to mind.....I had to stop for gas there not long ago, and I was looked upon very suspiciously....unbelievable in this day and age.
Gave me the creeps that I have never, ever had anywhere else in the world, and I have lived in more than one continent...and the place I am speaking of is less than 30 miles away from my home.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Naples is pretty much Yankee/retiree central.
Where I am is pretty much the same, although there are certain places out in the Ocala National Forest that are still shamefully ignorant, Hogtown comes to mind.....I had to stop for gas there not long ago, and I was looked upon very suspiciously....unbelievable in this day and age.
Gave me the creeps that I have never, ever had anywhere else in the world, and I have lived in more than one continent...and the place I am speaking of is less than 30 miles away from my home.
Even Ocala is watered down now and Yankees?

Why do you think in most southern states the culture is fading?

You can say the same about Missouri starting in the 1900s it lost a lot of its southerness. Even up until the 1920s it was still much more southern than it is today. Of course Southeast Missouri, and the Missouri Ozarks within 50 miles or so of AR are still pretty much southern, but the rest of the state really isn't anymore. Like the maps posted most of Missouri is still protestant, and southern ancestory even in northern Mo still, but the culture in the northern half of Missouri is gone.

Like little Dixie after the civil war started to really change. I wonder where those farmers went to? I think I read actually some of them actually moved to southern MO to settle to farm because it was warmer, and less work since there was no more slavery.

It's interesting though how Southeast MO, and the southern parts of the Missouri Ozarks retained their dixieness.

Why do you think SEMO, and the Missouri Ozarks have retained their southerness but it's gone in little dixie and elsewhere?

Even Texas today most people call it Southwest, and not southern.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:20 AM

223 posts, read 334,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
as a foreigner when I look at a map I would lump MO with Kansas, Iowa and Nebaska ...mostly flat land, agricultural based with colder continental climates

its also fascinating how prevalent and divisive that "yankee vs rebel " thingy still seem to be
I'm from Kansas and I've owned Ozarks acreage and the two states couldn't be more different from one another.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ozarks Crescent Mural
Actually I'm funny. I don't consider Missouri Midwestern or Southern. It's got it's own vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I agree with this to an extent. The Ozarks is a perfect example of this in my opinion & I consider it it's own region independent of the South or the Midwest.
The reason why I said this is because I've lived in New England and Missouri has that similar "classy" or upscale vibe that New England has. I'm from Kansas, so I'm very familiar with the Midwestern vibe and I lived in the South for awhile, so I'm familiar with it too.

Missouri just stands out to me from the rest of the Midwest region because of what I call classiness.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:48 AM

"My point in the previous posts is that I consider the Ozarks to be a unique region that mixes the lower midwest & the upland south with it's own unique flair in almost every aspect of it's culture."

Well said, GunnerTHB.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
What would be interesting if they made a north missouri and a south missouri. Split it up at the MO river. The northern half would be midwestern, and the southern half would be considered Southern. Wasn't that proposed at one time to split MO?

St. Louis would be like Florida's version of Miami. Nothing southern about it.

LIke other posters have said when you cross the MO river it begins transition towards southern until you get into the last 25% of the state then you're in Dixie.

It's odd though most of the northern half of Missouri is still protestant so it has people of southern decent, yet what happend to their accent and culture? One of my teachers if from Iowa, and he told us he could notice a night and day difference when he crosses over into Missouri from Iowa just by the way people are.
When I had my place in Douglas County, MO, I didn't feel or see the South until I crossed the stateline and went into Yellville in Arkansas.

I still argue that Missouri isn't Midwestern or Southern. It's Missouri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri