Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 01:45 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
again memphis is a major city. It seems major cities lack southern accents.

Times I've been to Atlanta did not hear much in the way of a southern accent.
Really? My family in Atlanta sounds like the damn Dixie Chicks! Y'all and fixin' and yes ma'am and the like. SUPER southern.

Atlanta also has a ton of transplants, so that may well have something to do with it.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:47 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
My husband and I just got back from visiting our family in KC. We spent some time in St. Louis and had a blast! Anyway, I've lived in CA my whole life and moved to Nashville 6 months ago. We both agreed that it seemed Missouri was definitely midwestern and not southern, yet no one had that midwestern accent. I have family in MN and he has family in IA and they have STRONG accents.
I went to Mizzou's J-School, and they told us natives from Day 1 that we had a huge advantage if we wanted to go the broadcast journalism route because we already spoke with the flat midwestern accent that's considered industry standard.

I honestly was in middle school before I understood the concept that we had an accent -- I was like "but I talk like the people on the TV!

Old 07-21-2011, 01:54 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I went to Mizzou's J-School, and they told us natives from Day 1 that we had a huge advantage if we wanted to go the broadcast journalism route because we already spoke with the flat midwestern accent that's considered industry standard.

I honestly was in middle school before I understood the concept that we had an accent -- I was like "but I talk like the people on the TV!
I went there, too....boy, was I shocked when they told us about the accent advantage!

Old 07-21-2011, 02:37 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times
Quote:
again memphis is a major city. It seems major cities lack southern accents.

Times I've been to Atlanta did not hear much in the way of a southern accent.
It's not that most people in Memphis dont have a Southern accent, I think most do, at least slightly. (although a decent amount of natives really dont have a Southern accent) It's the fact that the American media mostly uses a General American accent, similar to what you'd hear in most of Missouri and other parts of the Midwest. That's probably why my friends think that most people in St. Louis just sound "normal"

Old 07-21-2011, 02:56 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post

Who do they consider to be "natives"? If it's the state as a whole I'm pretty sure I would start at quite a bit of a disadvantage if I were to pursue that route. lol

Old 07-21-2011, 03:10 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Who do they consider to be "natives"? If it's the state as a whole I'm pretty sure I would start at quite a bit of a disadvantage if I were to pursue that route. lol
Believe it or not, the STL accent is highly prized in the TV journalism world.
Seems as though there isnt as much effort involved to transition to a very neutral accent.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:10 PM

543 posts, read 855,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Probably the metro or nothern areas of the state. I doubt southeast Missouri, or the Ozarks would be at such an advantage.

Also to the OP large cities seem to have a lot of transplants from all over the place. Guess because of the large companies people move to where the jobs are.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Seems as though there isnt as much effort involved to transition to a very neutral accent.
I see. Even when I try to talk more "neutral" people still notice an accent if I'm away from home . lol

Old 07-21-2011, 03:16 PM

543 posts, read 855,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Even though many St. Louis natives have the nasal accent, and say farty four? Kathleen England the traffic report is a classic example of the Stl nasal sound.

I wonder what causes Stl area natives to have a slightly different accent than others?

Could it because it is such a diverse city from so many different cultures due to its location bordering north/south, east/west? I mean you have the East, northern, southern, and western cultures.

You have the Germans who settled here, Irish, southern English people, and the French.

Could that be a reason why St. Louisan's say certain words diffrently due to all the cultures?

Old 07-21-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Even though many St. Louis natives have the nasal accent, and say farty four? Kathleen England the traffic report is a classic example of the Stl nasal sound.

I wonder what causes Stl area natives to have a slightly different accent than others?

Could it because it is such a diverse city from so many different cultures due to its location bordering north/south, east/west? I mean you have the East, northern, southern, and western cultures.

You have the Germans who settled here, Irish, southern English people, and the French.

Could that be a reason why St. Louisan's say certain words diffrently due to all the cultures?
No southern culture in St. Louis. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri